Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt Display - USB, Mic, Speaker and Webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have flashed my Alpine Ride now, video works just fine, so does everything else with the Thunderbolt Display. USB-C works with USB mapping done.
Glad someone worked it out but when I tried it was very early in the discovery of modifying the firmware and it did not work then.

Hi, I also flashed my alpine card everything is working flawless. Video passthrough, and USB-C is fixed with a proper USB mapping :) I'm sure I can find the firmware I did flash my card with if you want it?
Any help would be really appreciated
I haven't been able to map my USB-C ports because they don't even show up in Hackintool or USBMap. They do show up as XHC2 in iOReg (see in attachments).

I think my driver's the issue (GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin), because: a) it's a lower version than my original (which was NVM26), and b) it's for an add-in-card, while mine's built-in. However it's the only one from the repository that worked with my card. @scottkendall do you think it'd be possible to create an ssdt, or might the issue be with the driver?

I'm currently trying to splice the Firmware from AlpineRidgeEX3-NVM26-NATA.bin into the original, or find a v26 (+/- 2) firmware from the MacOS-USBCUpdater repository but I'm not having much luck maybe @NorthAmTransAm can help?

edit: adding the original firmware + my modified version, based on the EX3-NVM26 just in case someone is able to check to see if I didn't mess anything up.

Attachments

• Hackintool.png
    Hackintool.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IoReg.png
    IoReg.png
    788.5 KB · Views: 59
  • USBMap.png
    USBMap.png
    59 KB · Views: 57
  • CG-ALPINE-RIDGE-DESIGNARE-EX-X299-NVM26-ORIGINAL.bin.zip
    147.4 KB · Views: 46
  • CG-ALPINE-RIDGE-DESIGNARE-EX-X299-NVM26-GVF.bin.zip
    147.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Any help would be really appreciated
I haven't been able to map my USB-C ports because they don't even show up in Hackintool or USBMap. They do show up as XHC2 in iOReg (see in attachments).

I think my driver's the issue (GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin), because: a) it's a lower version than my original (which was NVM26), and b) it's for an add-in-card, while mine's built-in. However it's the only one from the repository that worked with my card. @scottkendall do you think it'd be possible to create an ssdt, or might the issue be with the driver?

I'm currently trying to splice the Firmware from AlpineRidgeEX3-NVM26-NATA.bin into the original, or find a v26 (+/- 2) firmware from the MacOS-USBCUpdater repository but I'm not having much luck maybe @NorthAmTransAm can help?

edit: adding the original firmware + my modified version, based on the EX3-NVM26 just in case someone is able to check to see if I didn't mess anything up.

You don't need to map the USB-C Port of your board because its on its own controller and pre-defined (PXSX Controller). Also, the USB portion of the EX3 is already mapped and inside the TB3 SSDT. You only need to map XHCI!

As for the firmware I had the best luck using OEM firmware. You can get a full Thunderbolt bus on this card specifically with a handful of patches and an SSDT. Love that! Let me know if that's something you want to do and I'll dig up how I did it.

You don't need to map the USB-C Port of your board because its on its own controller and pre-defined (PXSX Controller). Also, the USB portion of the EX3 is already mapped and inside the TB3 SSDT. You only need to map XHCI!

As for the firmware I had the best luck using OEM firmware. You can get a full Thunderbolt bus on this card specifically with a handful of patches and an SSDT. Love that! Let me know if that's something you want to do and I'll dig up how I did it.
The legendary @NorthAmTransAm ! yes, I would really appreciate that. But I must say, I've been trying to get a proper SSDT figured out with CaseySJ and LeleTuratti for quite some time now, and nothing has worked 100%. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my BIOS version (specifically Resizable BAR support)?

Anyway, I tried flashing that custom firmware I spliced together, and the card wasn't even recognized. I'm now back to the original firmware. Looking forward to trying to figure out an SSDT. I never tried any patches – you mean DeviceProperties patches, right? Just lmk what you need. Please and thank you!!

The legendary @NorthAmTransAm ! yes, I would really appreciate that. But I must say, I've been trying to get a proper SSDT figured out with CaseySJ and LeleTuratti for quite some time now, and nothing has worked 100%. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my BIOS version (specifically Resizable BAR support)?

Anyway, I tried flashing that custom firmware I spliced together, and the card wasn't even recognized. I'm now back to the original firmware. Looking forward to trying to figure out an SSDT. I never tried any patches – you mean DeviceProperties patches, right? Just lmk what you need. Please and thank you!!
I've got sessions (work) all week but if you drop your EFI here without the serial number then I can handle it for you. I believe it needs to be connected with the header to work but could be wrong.

I do remember on my z370 going back to a the bios before resizable bar support! Highly recommended.

Legendary! I'll take it but I feel like nuisance mostly :)

I've got sessions (work) all week but if you drop your EFI here without the serial number then I can handle it for you. I believe it needs to be connected with the header to work but could be wrong.

I do remember on my z370 going back to a the bios before resizable bar support! Highly recommended.

Legendary! I'll take it but I feel like nuisance mostly :)
Thanks @NorthAmTransAm. Please note that I have an on-board Alpine Ridge (firmware version NVM26)

The only thing with downgrading my BIOS is that I think I need Above 4G decoding, since I have 3GPU's and I do tons of graphics-intensive work.

Here's everything I've got. Lmk if there's anything you might need. Thanks again!

Attachments

• NATA.zip
    15.6 MB · Views: 48
Thanks @NorthAmTransAm. Please note that I have an on-board Alpine Ridge (firmware version NVM26)

The only thing with downgrading my BIOS is that I think I need Above 4G decoding, since I have 3GPU's and I do tons of graphics-intensive work.

Here's everything I've got. Lmk if there's anything you might need. Thanks again!

Sweet, thanks for sending that. Lets try something.

With OEM Firmware on the Thunderbolt Controller set, disable all Thunderbolt SSDT's except for SSDT-DTPG.
Add the one attached here.

Add this patch as well. When I had a working Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Bus, I used this patch to speed up a boot hang. After an OS update, I found I couldn't get a working bus without it.

Code:
Find: FF503858 48000A51 5C2E5F47 50455449 4E495442 534500
Replace: FF202020 20202020 20202020 20202020 20202020 202020
Table Sig: DSDT
Comment: Null GPE.TINI

Make sure you keep the other two patches enabled as well: _E23 to XE23 and RP05:_INI to RP05:XINI

Attachments

• SSDT-TbtOnPch-EX3-RP05.aml
    4.5 KB · Views: 47
Sweet, thanks for sending that. Lets try something.

With OEM Firmware on the Thunderbolt Controller set, disable all Thunderbolt SSDT's except for SSDT-DTPG.
Add the one attached here.

Add this patch as well. When I had a working Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Bus, I used this patch to speed up a boot hang. After an OS update, I found I couldn't get a working bus without it.

Code:
Find: FF503858 48000A51 5C2E5F47 50455449 4E495442 534500
Replace: FF202020 20202020 20202020 20202020 20202020 202020
Table Sig: DSDT
Comment: Null GPE.TINI

Make sure you keep the other two patches enabled as well: _E23 to XE23 and RP05:_INI to RP05:XINI
Thank you! I gave that a shot, but the SSDT didn't load, nor was the TB Bus activated.
Question: What's the purpose of the Table Signature field?

Thank you! I gave that a shot, but the SSDT didn't load, nor was the TB Bus activated.
Question: What's the purpose of the Table Signature field?
It was just being a little extra.

Can you send your system DSDT for me? I’m curious about the GPE Event number.

It was just being a little extra.

Can you send your system DSDT for me? I’m curious about the GPE Event number.
lol whatever works, its been 2 year journey with this Hack, and TB is the last remaining thing to get it perfect for my needs, so I don't mind getting extra if we need to!

Btw, I tested out video passthrough with the OWE firmware, and it seems to sort of work. Its hit-or miss, but a few attempts and plugging/unplugging got it to work a couple of times.

Here's the DSDT. Thanks so much, sir.

Attachments

• DSDT.zip
    158.5 KB · Views: 44
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back