Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt Display on Hackintosh running MacOSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i7 i7-4790K
Graphics
Asus STRIX-GTX980-D​C2OC-4GD5 256 Bit Nvidia GTX 980
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

This is my first post. I'll try be as clear as possible. I'm planning on building my first hackintosh, however, I come from a MacBook retina background and I really need the retina resolution for my line of work (web design) and the fact that I honestly can't live without it hehe. Has anyone tried building a hackintosh with a motherboard (that obviously supports thunderbolt), and run a Thunderbolt Display on the MacOSX? Is there anyway of getting this to work on a hackintosh? If this is possible, I will order all my parts straight away. Another question would be, would the system also automatically switch between the on board graphics card and say a GTX 670. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Do you already have a Thunderbolt display? The resolution of the Thunderbolt display is the same as the Apple Cinema Display. None of the Apple stand alone displays are "retina". The non Thunderbolt display will accept a display port connection and will work with most video cards that have a display port output. The Thunderbolt display "should" work with the Thunderbolt output on the motherboard, but who knows what "enhancements" Apple might have included in the Thunderbolt display that prevent non Apple products from working. The only way I know to use your GTX 670 with the thunderbolt output on the motherboard would be through software such as Virtu MVP. Reviews on this solution are mixed at best.

If you don't have a display yet, you might wait a few weeks and see if new displays are going to be released with the new Mac Pro.

Thanks for the reply. No unfortunately not. Yeah your right I will definitely wait for their new line ups! Thanks again.

I have been running my Apple TB display on my Gigabyte TB board for about a year now. It works great. With 10.8 I had an issue with it kernel panicking randomly on boot and would take a few reboots to get it boot properly but once booted it worked fine. However since 10.9 I have had ZERO issues with this combination and it has been rock solid. If you want to change resolutions from the max supported you can't use standard graphics enabler and have to use EFI injection instead. If you search you will find the way.

How about using the TB plug on the back of the display to then plug in a RAID or other thunderbolt expansion items, has that worked for you?

hello guys,
I bought an Apple LED Cinema Display 24 ". Now I want to buy a graphics card Gigabyte 660 Ti 2GB. This card works with a Mini DisplayPort adapter female to Display Port Male?
thanks
Sebastian:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back