5. iMac
  6. Performa
  7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
  10. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Alright I figured I would post this here and let you all know that Thunderbolt Display works as well as all the features of the display. Just like other Thunderbolt devices if you hot swap it, the display WILL turn back on but all the features stop working.

I didn't really do anything special to get it to work, plugged into the Mobo and while booting keep hitting DEL the first time to get the Mobo to realize to display video over the TB port. After that first time it will just display on that port until you make a change.

The only thing I have run into is after I enabled HD4000 on the SECOND reboot when it booted for some reason Mac OS tries to set it to a resolution out of the displays range. So I was having to unplug and replug causing all the features to stop working. To get around that I just hard set the resolution in the Extra boot plist with this code.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>2560x1440x32</string>

After that it works great and even looks good booting up. ;)

If you hard set the resolution DO NOT change the resolution once booted. When I did that it set it and the OS remembered that setting and it wouldn't go back to the optimal resolution. I had to change the TB port for it to get back.

I will be posting a user build soon with all my stuff as I have gotten EVERYTHING working perfectly.

Hi Einsteiniac,

I have the same motherboard, and I am considering getting the thunderbolt display. I'm wondering if the HD4000 can run the display? I thought I read that it had a lower maximum resolution than the 2560x1440. It would be wonderful if it could!

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

Thanks for this it helped me :)

Alright I figured I would post this here and let you all know that Thunderbolt Display works as well as all the features of the display. Just like other Thunderbolt devices if you hot swap it, the display WILL turn back on but all the features stop working.

I didn't really do anything special to get it to work, plugged into the Mobo and while booting keep hitting DEL the first time to get the Mobo to realize to display video over the TB port. After that first time it will just display on that port until you make a change.

The only thing I have run into is after I enabled HD4000 on the SECOND reboot when it booted for some reason Mac OS tries to set it to a resolution out of the displays range. So I was having to unplug and replug causing all the features to stop working. To get around that I just hard set the resolution in the Extra boot plist with this code.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

After that it works great and even looks good booting up. ;)

If you hard set the resolution DO NOT change the resolution once booted. When I did that it set it and the OS remembered that setting and it wouldn't go back to the optimal resolution. I had to change the TB port for it to get back.

I will be posting a user build soon with all my stuff as I have gotten EVERYTHING working perfectly.

Hi Einsteiniac,
What about after the wake up ? Are the TB feature of the display (webcam,..) still working ? I'm interested in your set-up, but I have this doubt. Thanks !

Hi Do you have to enable the Integrated graphics? Or can you use a seperate GPU, or will the thunderbolt video go off the 6870?
Where do you change the string startup thingy im still a noob
Hi does sleep work the way it is supposed to? I have UP4 BTW but I think the ThunderBolt chip is the same am I right?

The up-4 and the UP-5 uses the same ThunderBolt controller as MacBook Pro Retina, maybe if you change system definintion to MacBook Pro Retina Hot-Swap will work.
(I cant test this still waiting for TH Display

I don't believe in letting my computer sleep so I couldn't tell you. If it needs a rest I buy a new one to replace it. It's a tool not a pet. ;)

Mark

I don't believe in letting my computer sleep so I couldn't tell you. If it needs a rest I buy a new one to replace it. It's a tool not a pet. ;)

Mark

Well can you test it?

Mark

Haha this is awesome. Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks like that.
Today I receive the last and most important piece of hardware to have a build just like yours, the motherboard. Just wondering have you updated to 10.8.2 and still have full fuctionality of Thunderbolt Display?

Is there any hope to get this display working using discrete graphics? Maybe today's iMac announcement will lend us some good news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back