Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt Daisy-Chaining Doesn't Work. Catalina, Universal Audio

Joined
Oct 27, 2019
Messages
42
Motherboard
Asus X570S AORUS ELITE
CPU
Ryzen 9 5900X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi gentlemen,

Kindly asking for your advice.

Thunderbolt and Apollo works just fine under Catalina, but as soon as I daisy-chain UAD Satellites into Apollo, I experience issues and can't load UAD plugins.

My setup:
Asus B550-Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 5600
AMD RX580
Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR (OR Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge)
Samsung EVO 980
Catalina
Universal Audio Apollo X8 + Satellite Octo + Satellite Quad

I was able to make Thunderbolt work so that Apollo is detected with UAD drivers. Apollo just by itself works fine and loads plugins nicely in Logic or PT.

However, if I connect any Satellite to the Apollo, I can no longer load any plugins in either DAW (device code -38 not responding). Additionally, if I try to update plugin authorisations in UAD Meter and Control Panel, it freezes, and system then crashes completely (error log attached).

I am also attaching my config.plist where I tried various TB kexts and TB hotplug with no luck so far.

Your help is highly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Satellite Crash Log.txt
    3 KB · Views: 89
  • config.plist
    53.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Joined
Oct 27, 2019
Messages
42
Motherboard
Asus X570S AORUS ELITE
CPU
Ryzen 9 5900X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

Just an update - I've ordered Gigabyte Alpine Ridge TB add on card, and I will try it to see if it solves the problems.

If any of you have other ideas, I'd absolutely appreciate these.

Thanks!
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2019
Messages
42
Motherboard
Asus X570S AORUS ELITE
CPU
Ryzen 9 5900X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey all,

So I've successfully swapped Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR to Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge. The card has been immediately recognised in Windows, as well as on Hackintosh Catalina.

And I am experiencing exactly the same problem as before, my Apollo works flawlessly, but as soon as I add a Satellite, I can't load any UAD plugins. The system crashes on plugin authorisation similarly.

The whole thing works without a flaw on Windows, hence I suspect a problem with software Thunderbolt on Hackintosh.

Your pointers would be extremely appreciated, I don't really know what to try next. Even some piece of software that could provide more insights on where Thunderbolt fails to daisy-chain would be super useful.

Many thanks in advance
 
Joined
Dec 9, 2011
Messages
2
Motherboard
Asus Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
Intel Core i5 2,8GHz
Graphics
AMD Raedon RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
hey everybody.

any news on that front?

I use an Apollo Twin x duo core, without any problems.
I just purchased an UAD-2 Satelitte Octo Core.

In console everything works fine. but in DAW (Logic Pro X) I run into error -38 all the time. working like that is not possible.
I tested the devices on my MacBookPro M1 and everything works fine there. UA stated that most -38 on native MACs come from poor thunderbolt cables. but since it's brand new and tested on a native MAC system I think that is not the problem.
ideas welcome.

currently running Mac Mojave 10.14.6
and Logic Pro x 10.4.8
Universal Audio software is as fresh as it gets
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jul 9, 2021
Messages
2
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 560
Hey all, also here wondering if there’s any news on this

same issue here, lots of -38 often between only 50-75% dsp used. Only when using uad-2 satellite

10.14.6
Logic Pro x 10.4.8
Auros z370
Alpine ridge thunderbolt card
Apollo x6
UAD-2 satellite

I’ve got the proper apple thunderbolt cables. Tried not daisychaining, no difference. Have removed all non uad components and restarted. Same issue still. Uninstalled uad per uad site instructions and reinstalled. Still getting -38s

also, the -38 seems to often happen after a system overload, and sometimes the uad plugins need to be reauthorized after although that seems to have stopped after uad reinstall. If anyone has any clues to help us please share! Thanks!!
 
Top