Contribute
Register

THUNDERBOLT 3 SUCCESS!! GA-Z170X-UD5 TH STARTECH "Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand. Thanks for the reply. I don't have the "Legacy" option nor that motherboard so I will find another thread I guess.
Send me ur specs I'll help you look since I already went thru this it might be easier for me since I know what to search for.

Send me ur specs I'll help you look since I already went thru this it might be easier for me since I know what to search for.
Thank you for your willingness to help. Would you mind if I redirected you to this other Tonymacx86 forum? I have written several things and shared several pictures. I will also post my BIOs settings on there. Current issue is Mac sort of sees the Univ3ersal Audio PCI device, but does not since any ins or outs.

UPDATE: Issue solved! Explained in thread link

Last edited:
Thank you for your willingness to help. Would you mind if I redirected you to this other Tonymacx86 forum? I have written several things and shared several pictures. I will also post my BIOs settings on there. Current issue is Mac sort of sees the Univ3ersal Audio PCI device, but does not since any ins or outs.
OK

HIGH Sierra UPGRADE!_THUNDERBOLT 3 SUCCESS!! with GA-Z170X-UD5 TH STARTECH "Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter" and the Universal Audio APOLLO 8 - El Capitan 10.11.6 iMac 17,1
NOW ON
HIGH SIERRA 10.13.6

1) Booted into my windows 10 hard drive and updated bios to F5 at the time of this writing (if on OS X change Bios for Windows usage) and (see Tonymac for bios update guides).

2) Once in windows, I plugged in the Startech adapter and turned on the Apollo. Then i went to gigabyte site (Link Below) selected the "Download Type" dropdown and chose Driver. In choose OS, I chose mine which is windows 10 64bit (see screen shot for easier reference). I downloaded it and ran it.

3) Next I went to the dropdown again and downloaded the Utility and in OS type chose "ALL" (See screen shot for reference) the Utility actually gives you the instructions on the order to do it all for windows so follow it. After installing the utility I don't remember if I re started but I do remember I checked if it picked up my Apollo within Device manager and it did. (I left the Apollo ON just forgot to turn it off)

Heres Giga Link:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5479#driver

4) I then shutdown and REMOVED my windows hard drive (it was only used for thunderbolt driver and firmware update)

5) Next I rebooted and went into bios changed back my Bios settings for OS X Usage 10.11.6

6) Once in OSX I opened UAD meter control panel to see if the Apollo was picked up but it wasn't. (I left the window open, just forgot to close it)

7) Next, I turned on hidden files. I opened terminal (app, utility, terminal) and I pasted this command inside terminal

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES (then press ENTER) Next hold down Alt key Right click Finder Icon and click relaunch.

8) I went to GO -> Computer -> My hard drive -> System/Library/Extensions (I had to open all in new tab double click didn't work) looked for all kext that said AppleThunderbolt (made a back up folder on desktop just incase) and I deleted them all I rebooted into BIOS. (I didn’t close Apollo app)

9) Next go to: Bios

Peripherals -> Intel(R) Thunderbolt ->
Intel Thunderbolt Technology = Enabled
ThunderBolt Boot Support = Disabled

**Security Level = LEGACY!! (THIS IS THE ONLY CHANGE)!!

Thunderbolt PCIe Cache-line Size = Change to 128
Ignore Thunderbolt Option Rom = Disabled
Thunderbolt SwSMI Delay = Change to 10
TBT Device IO resource Support = Enabled
Reserved Memory = Medium
Reserved Mem per phd slot = 32
Reserved Poem per phi slot = 32

10) I rebooted with everything installed and turned ON including the UAD Meter Control Panel window which detects the Apollo it was open on desktop.

The system picked up the Apollo 8 instantly once rebooted (Not sure if leaving everything connected and running makes a difference it was just coincidently ON from prior attempts)

*NOTE - I lost audio drivers after I rebooted but simply ran multibeast and selected only my audio drivers rebooted again and I'm back in business!

Hope this helps you guys!!

9/17/2018 UPDATE:

I decided to upgrade my system to High Sierra ("Fresh Install" same system and same bios firmware) and the only thing I had to change on the Thunderbolt section in Bios was ** Security Level. I added the Legacy instead and it picked up my Apollo 8 instantly!!

I started the install with System definition at 14,2 then after High Sierra install I changed system definitions to 17,1 and altered my bios as stated above. Not sure if it makes a difference but it worked. just trying to give details.

Everyone is breaking there heads with thunderbolt 3 writing scripts this is all I did and it worked!!

Hope this helps once again guys!!

Thanks a lot! Can confirm its working with UAD Apollo Twin Mk II Quad

Gigabyte H170M-D3H - BIOS was always at F5
El Capitan 10.11.6,
iMac 17,1
Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Rev 2.0

Instructions for Alpine Ridge Rev 2.0
1. put the card in, with the cables attached and all
2. setup the BIOS -> Peripherals -> Thunderbolt according to first post's instructions

Peripherals -> Intel(R) Thunderbolt ->
Intel Thunderbolt Technology = Enabled
ThunderBolt Boot Support = Disabled

**Security Level = LEGACY

Thunderbolt PCIe Cache-line Size = Change to 128
Ignore Thunderbolt Option Rom = Disabled
Thunderbolt SwSMI Delay = Change to 10
TBT Device IO resource Support = Enabled
Reserved Memory = Medium
Reserved Mem per phd slot = 32
Reserved Poem per phi slot = 32

3. boot into Windows, download and install the Thunderbolt driver from Gigabyte Alpine Ridge site
4. Rev 2.0 doesn't need the TBT Flash thing
5. Windows should detect your TB device when you attach it, it detected my Apollo
6. Boot into MacOS, install necessary UAD software and drivers
7. Delete all kexts with AppleThunderbolt_XXX
8. Reboot even with Apollo turned on it works

edit:
doesn't work if it's on from cold boot, Apollo needs to be turned on at BIOS, but also works when i switch it on at Clover loading screen

Last edited:
Hi all, I just bought a TB 2 audio interface (Antelope Discrete 8 Synergy Core) that i want to hook up to my hackintosh machine, which is the same build as the OP.
My question is, can I use the apple TB3 to TB2 adapter? The Startech one costs almost double the price, and the apple one is not cheap... Plus I need to buy a TB2 cable which itself isn't cheap either. Can you guys give me some tips about how to make it work the best?
Also, I have a spare USB-C cable lying around, is there any way to use this cable with a reverse adapter, if such a thing even exists? I am afraid not, but I better ask just in case.
Another thing I thought of is: Could I use a TB2 to Firewire adapter and then plug the TB interface into the FW port in my computer? I know you can do it the other way around, but I ignore if you can do this. It would be most convenient and sooo much cheaper!
I could plug the Antelope via USB but then I can't make use of the internal DSP/FPGA capabilities inside my DAW for mixing, which would be really cool.
Thanks in advance for any insight!!

My question is, can I use the apple TB3 to TB2 adapter? The Startech one costs almost double the price, and the apple one is not cheap...
Try the Apple one first. If it doesn't work, then try the Startech one.

Also, I have a spare USB-C cable lying around, is there any way to use this cable with a reverse adapter, if such a thing even exists?
Nope. For Thunderbolt signals, the Thunderbolt adapters are the only method of connecting Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3.

Another thing I thought of is: Could I use a TB2 to Firewire adapter and then plug the TB interface into the FW port in my computer? I know you can do it the other way around, but I ignore if you can do this. It would be most convenient and sooo much cheaper!
No:
The Antelope doesn't have a FireWire port.
The upstream Thunderbolt port of the Antelope is for transmitting Thunderbolt signals only. The Antelope will not transmit anything over FireWire.
The Antelope doesn't have FireWire drivers.

I could plug the Antelope via USB but then I can't make use of the internal DSP/FPGA capabilities inside my DAW for mixing, which would be really cool.
Thanks in advance for any insight!!
Where does it explain this difference between Thunderbolt 2 and USB 2.0 connections? The main page only says that USB 2.0 supports 24 channels and Thunderbolt 2 supports 32 channels.

First of all, thanks for your reply, I really do appreciate it.

Try the Apple one first. If it doesn't work, then try the Startech one.

Yeah I know I could do that, but unfortunately can't spend 150€+ on adapters, hence my question.

Nope. For Thunderbolt signals, the Thunderbolt adapters are the only method of connecting Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3.

Get it.

No:
The Antelope doesn't have a FireWire port.
The upstream Thunderbolt port of the Antelope is for transmitting Thunderbolt signals only. The Antelope will not transmit anything over FireWire.
The Antelope doesn't have FireWire drivers.

Thanks, good to know.

Where does it explain this difference between Thunderbolt 2 and USB 2.0 connections? The main page only says that USB 2.0 supports 24 channels and Thunderbolt 2 supports 32 channels.

Here, at the bottom of the page:

I should have mention that I can use the internal effects as "hardware" inserts (external fx on Cubase), but I would like to use the AFX2DAW thingy which is way more convenient
because I don't have to use busses or set up anything, just open them as regular plugins within Cubase. I think this way I have more plugin instances as well, but not sure about this.

Last edited:
So, apparently the issue lies with the way Antelope handles thunderbolt, or somehting to do with their network/server capabilities. And until Antelope fixes this, Antelope thunderbolt devices won't work in hackintoshes, which is crap, since I already bought the TB3-TB2 adapter and the TB cable, which all together were about 140€ ...great. I can use it on my Windows drive but that's useless as I have all my projects in Mac.

If anyone finds out anything about this, please let me know!

Peace

Hi all, easy question. Is there a way to activate this port without entering Windows? I have a Z170X also, with no Windows Disk to start Only MacOs. in the system preference i see

Thunderbolt: No hardware was found.

thanks in advance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back