Contribute
Register

THUNDERBOLT 3 SUCCESS!! GA-Z170X-UD5 TH STARTECH "Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my TB3 working after following the steps by papillion12 at the top of this thread, but I still can't figure out how to get hotswaping to work.

There are no Hackintosh instructions for getting Thunderbolt
hot swapping to work.

Is that nessasary for hackintosh ?
No, just use the version your motherboard manufacturer gives. Use that to make sure your Thunderbolt device works or at least appears in Windows. Then reboot into macOS.

it's mandatory the startech adapter? the original apple tb3 to tb2 doesnt' working?

Mine works with the Cable Matters TB adapter from Amazon.

it's mandatory the startech adapter? the original apple tb3 to tb2 doesnt' working?
The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter should work fine. I have three of them for my Z170X-Gaming 7 and MacBook Pro 2015. I think the Apple adapter is less expensive and it works in both directions (so you can use Thunderbolt 3 devices with Thunderbolt 2 computers). This thread mentions the Startech adapter because this thread was created before the first MacBook Pro 2016 with Thunderbolt 3 ports was released.

I have both the Apple TB3 to TB2 and the StarTech adapters, and they both work on my GA-Z170X-UD5 TH mobo, with my Blackmagic Mini Monitor and LaCie Big5 RAID.

THUNDERBOLT 3 SUCCESS!! with GA-Z170X-UD5 TH STARTECH "Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter" and the Universal Audio APOLLO 8 - El Capitan 10.11.6 iMac 17,1

1) Booted into my windows 10 hard drive and updated bios to F5 at the time of this writing (if on OS X change Bios for Windows usage) and (see Tonymac for bios update guides).

2) Once in windows, I plugged in the Startech adapter and turned on the Apollo. Then i went to gigabyte site (Link Below) selected the "Download Type" dropdown and chose Driver. In choose OS, I chose mine which is windows 10 64bit (see screen shot for easier reference). I downloaded it and ran it.

3) Next I went to the dropdown again and downloaded the Utility and in OS type chose "ALL" (See screen shot for reference) the Utility actually gives you the instructions on the order to do it all for windows so follow it. After installing the utility I don't remember if I re started but I do remember I checked if it picked up my Apollo within Device manager and it did. (I left the Apollo ON just forgot to turn it off)

Heres Giga Link:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5479#driver

4) I then shutdown and REMOVED my windows hard drive (it was only used for thunderbolt driver and firmware update)

5) Next I rebooted and went into bios changed back my Bios settings for OS X Usage 10.11.6

6) Once in OSX I opened UAD meter control panel to see if the Apollo was picked up but it wasn't. (I left the window open, just forgot to close it)

7) Next, I turned on hidden files. I opened terminal (app, utility, terminal) and I pasted this command inside terminal

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES (then press ENTER) Next hold down Alt key Right click Finder Icon and click relaunch.

8) I went to GO -> Computer -> My hard drive -> System/Library/Extensions (I had to open all in new tab double click didn't work) looked for all kext that said AppleThunderbolt (made a back up folder on desktop just incase) and I deleted them all I rebooted into BIOS. (I didn’t close Apollo app)

9) Next go to:

Peripherals -> Intel(R) Thunderbolt ->
Intel Thunderbolt Technology = Enabled
ThunderBolt Boot Support = Disabled
Security Level = Unique ID
Thunderbolt PCIe Cache-line Size = Change to 128
Ignore Thunderbolt Option Rom = Disabled
Thunderbolt SwSMI Delay = Change to 10
TBT Device IO resource Support = Enabled
Reserved Memory = Medium
Reserved Mem per phd slot = 32
Reserved Poem per phi slot = 32

10) I rebooted with everything installed and turned ON including the UAD Meter Control Panel window which detects the Apollo it was open on desktop.

The system picked up the Apollo 8 instantly once rebooted (Not sure if leaving everything connected and running makes a difference it was just coincidently ON from prior attempts)

*NOTE - I lost audio drivers after I rebooted but simply ran multibeast and selected only my audio drivers rebooted again and I'm back in business!

Hope this helps you guys!!

4) I then shutdown and REMOVED my windows hard drive (it was only used for thunderbolt driver and firmware update)

5) Next I rebooted and went into bios changed back my Bios settings for OS X Usage 10.11.6

6) Once in OSX I opened UAD meter control panel to see if the Apollo was picked up but it wasn't. (I left the window open, just forgot to close it)

7) Next, I turned on hidden files. I opened terminal (app, utility, terminal) and I pasted this command inside terminal

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES (then press ENTER) Next hold down Alt key Right click Finder Icon and click relaunch.

8) I went to GO -> Computer -> My hard drive -> System/Library/Extensions (I had to open all in new tab double click didn't work) looked for all kext that said AppleThunderbolt (made a back up folder on desktop just incase) and I deleted them all I rebooted into BIOS. (I didn’t close Apollo app)

9) Next go to: Bios

Peripherals -> Intel(R) Thunderbolt ->
Intel Thunderbolt Technology = Enabled
ThunderBolt Boot Support = Disabled

**Security Level = LEGACY!! (THIS IS THE ONLY CHANGE)!!

Thunderbolt PCIe Cache-line Size = Change to 128
Ignore Thunderbolt Option Rom = Disabled
Thunderbolt SwSMI Delay = Change to 10
TBT Device IO resource Support = Enabled
Reserved Memory = Medium
Reserved Mem per phd slot = 32
Reserved Poem per phi slot = 32

10) I rebooted with everything installed and turned ON including the UAD Meter Control Panel window which detects the Apollo it was open on desktop.

The system picked up the Apollo 8 instantly once rebooted (Not sure if leaving everything connected and running makes a difference it was just coincidently ON from prior attempts)

Hope this helps you guys!!

9/17/2018 UPDATE:

I decided to upgrade my system to High Sierra ("Fresh Install" same system and same bios firmware) and the only thing I had to change on the Thunderbolt section in Bios was ** Security Level. I added the Legacy instead and it picked up my Apollo 8 instantly!!

Thank you for your info, I CANNOT get MAC to see the Alpine card. I have rev.2.0. I have a Z170x Gaming 5 mobo. It does not have the option to set security to legacy, nor did I find any .kexxt to delete. Any suggestions? WINDOWS WORKS, but restarting from there into MAC does not work, even with UAD console already open.

Thank you for your info, I CANNOT get MAC to see the Alpine card. I have rev.2.0. I have a Z170x Gaming 5 mobo. It does not have the option to set security to legacy, nor did I find any .kexxt to delete. Any suggestions? WINDOWS WORKS, but restarting from there into MAC does not work, even with UAD console already open.
I'm not sure as this thread was for a particular motherboard and adapter. Sorry. On mine, security level to legacy worked. Try to find if your bios has any setting to change to legacy and that will probably do it.

I'm not sure as this thread was for a particular motherboard and adapter. Sorry. On mine, security level to legacy worked. Try to find if your bios has any setting to change to legacy and that will probably do it.
I understand. Thanks for the reply. I don't have the "Legacy" option nor that motherboard so I will find another thread I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back