Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 Port 2 not working on Gigabyte gaming 7 Alpine Ridge??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I finally got both Thunderbolt ports to work in Windows 10 by enabling a Windows 8 compatibility mode. None of this stuff is in the manuals, so save this in case you need to monkey with it later on:
In Windows 10, run all your System Updates, then open: Device Manager<System Devices<Thunderbolt Controller (then carefully monkey with the driver details/troubleshoot this device) -run it in Windows 8 mode, follow the Test This Software prompts, confirm that you're seeing a device on each port, and save the setting. -And you can power down the UAD Console after you're done with Pro Tools or whatever and power it up later without a reboot. I'm still using 2 x 2-meter Thunderbolt 2 cables that are connected to the GC Alpine Ridge (Rev 2.0) card with Apple Thunderbolt 2-to-3 adapters. Progress!

So you got it to work in windows...nice. Have you tried booting back into mac os and seeing if now since its activated on Windows it works in mac?

That's the next step. I wanted to make sure everything's totally squared-away in Windows -and in the BIOS before I try to install 10.13.5 again. It's going to be a fresh install.

And nope, no mac install works via directions from this website.

Last edited:
Hey all, I can only get one port (#2) to work in High Sierra with the Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 - but both ports work in Windows 10.

I'm using a new Samsung X5 TB 3 SSD to test.

For some reason this has been the case with every build I've worked with which uses that particular z370 motherboard; both ports work when I tested the Alpine Ridge card with an Asus x299 Prime Deluxe.

UPDATE - I can get the second port to work when doing the following:

1.Boot into Windows 10

2. Plug in the TB device and makes sure it appears.

3. Shut down computer.

4. Leave TB device connected and boot into High Sierra - and it appears in Mac OS!

But, if I do a simple restart into Mac OS (or shutdown), the drive will fail to re-appear until I repeat the process with booting into Windows first, before reconnecting the drive.

Also, if I boot into Windows with the drive plugged into port #1 it won't appear; the machine has to be booted before connecting the device.

Hopefully this info will be of use!

Welp, I ended up down-flashing my BIOS from F11 to F5 - which was the version of the last Z370 build I did with Thunderbolt working in Mac OS.

F11 was used for a gaming build I completed a few weeks ago, and although both Thunderbolt ports worked in Windows - I never got a chance to test in Mac OS.

Interestingly enough, Thunderbolt port #1 now works while #2 pretty-much does not; the X5 appeared as a uninitialized device when plugged into port 2 (Disk Utility prompting me to format - no thanks), while a TB 1 LaCie drive didn't show up at all. Also I would get the dreaded 'reboot after shutdown' issue if I had a device plugged into port #2 while shutting down.

I guess I'm going to give up for now, as my friend in need of this build is fine with just a single TB port functioning. I will have another one of these builds coming up, so I will check in on this thread and others to see if there's anything else I can try.

Welp, I ended up down-flashing my BIOS from F11 to F5 - which was the version of the last Z370 build I did with Thunderbolt working in Mac OS.

F11 was used for a gaming build I completed a few weeks ago, and although both Thunderbolt ports worked in Windows - I never got a chance to test in Mac OS.

Interestingly enough, Thunderbolt port #1 now works while #2 pretty-much does not; the X5 appeared as a uninitialized device when plugged into port 2 (Disk Utility prompting me to format - no thanks), while a TB 1 LaCie drive didn't show up at all. Also I would get the dreaded 'reboot after shutdown' issue if I had a device plugged into port #2 while shutting down.

I guess I'm going to give up for now, as my friend in need of this build is fine with just a single TB port functioning. I will have another one of these builds coming up, so I will check in on this thread and others to see if there's anything else I can try.

See this, especially the TOC on page 1: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...successful-build-extended-guide.255082/page-3

do you have hot swap support on your z370 gaming7 motherboard? I have support only if I first run windows with tb3 device and only after - Mac OS X %(

I have repeatedly had similar issues with my GC Alpine Ridge with Port 2 often not working when installed in my Aorus Pro WiFi Z390 - 10.14.5. For what it is worth I have noticed that if I actually completely remove the card from the machine for a couple of minutes before putting it back in I often get both ports working again. I often see the same behaviour in Windows 10.

I am mainly using the Thunderbolt card to utilise an Apple Thunderbolt Display 27" and an Apple 24" LED Display (Mini Display Port via Thunderbolt).

What is surprising is that simply turning off the machine or removing the power cord was not enough, but complete removal and then reinserting it almost always did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back