Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 Port 2 not working on Gigabyte gaming 7 Alpine Ridge??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you have a port for thunder bolt header that the card's cable plugs into I'm assuming it should be fine. All of the motherboards use the same Bios wether or not you have thunderbolt card installed. There is a separate firmware for the card itself that may need to be installed but you would have to have a real old version of the card. I've used F3, F5 and F6 motherboard BIOS without any problem.

The bios settings are things like "port security": Here is a basic starting point I used....I think I ended up changing one or two more (I can look today. If you have the gaming 7 I can just upload my bios):
BIOS Settings
1 Save & Exit → Load Optimized Defaults
2 M.I.T. → Advanced Memory Settings Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) : Profile1
3 BIOS → Fast Boot : Disabled
4 BIOS → LAN PXE Boot Option ROM : Disabled
5 BIOS → Storage Boot Option Control : UEFI
6 Peripherals → Trusted Computing → Security Device Support : Disable
7 Peripherals → Network Stack Configuration → Network Stack : Disabled
8 Peripherals → USB Configuration → Legacy USB Support : Auto
9 Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : Enabled
10 Chipset → Vt-d : Disabled
11 Chipset → Wake on LAN Enable : Disabled
12 Chipset → IOAPIC 24-119 Entries : Enabled

Download the drivers (and update utility) in windows and see if you see the device: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-10#support-dl-utility

Haha last one! But I think I might be SOL ... even tho it says on the box thunderbolt 3 supported maybe my Z370-AORUS-GAMING-7-OP one isn't? broootal - I even had to take out the Octane memory to make it work. shoulda got the non octane one

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.03.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.03.20 PM.png
    921 KB · Views: 336
Attached is my bios. I named it .pdf. Download it, then change the .pdf to something else.

Attachments

• z370.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 278
Load my profile it should fix any bios issues. Also, are you using an official Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter? Plug that into the TB3 port on the right hand side of the case. IE IF your behind the case facing the computer, plug it into the port on the right.

Awesome ! Thanks again for your help ... I’m using that “star tech” one I think it’s called ? I heard lots of people on here saying it works on here ?
Also do you think I’ll be okay putting on a diff bios than what’s supported by “OP” version specifically ? On that support page it’s just got the one .. I guess it’s the same board tho minus he optane “op” option tho? Thanks !

Attached is my bios. I named it .pdf. Download it, then change the .pdf to something else.

Ahh my bad, I thought this was to flash the bios to newer version , realize its your bios settings, tried loading it after changing name says invalid model number haha. Waiting on gigabyte to respond, 3-7 biz days for support ticket ha

think I got it working! i read on a forum that the card needs to be installed on the furtherest PCI-E slot .. I had it in the middle whoops... working on windows, now to try on the mac drive. thanks for your help jsconiers! I used your bios settings manually.

Nope! I'm working on a new build. With the previous one, it was probably just dum luck that I had the BMD MultiDock 2 on Port 1 and the UAD Apollo 8 on Port 2. Same problem in Windows 10. I'll daisy-chain them (as I do now with a 2012 Mac Mini) and report back much later today...

Sorry I'm so late. Port 2 does not work, not even in Windows. Daisy chaining the Apollo off of the BMD MultiDock 2 does not work. It works like a charm on my Macmini6,2 from its single Thunderbolt 2 port. I have not been sucessful in upgrading the firmware from v20 to v21. My current Windows-installed driver is 16.3.61.2. My BIOS is "6" -see by build signature. I have not had success installing the Gigabyte App and its utilities, though it did attempt to install some version of Chrome. I halted that quickly and removed all of the Gigabyte software for that wierdness.

Haha last one! But I think I might be SOL ... even tho it says on the box thunderbolt 3 supported maybe my Z370-AORUS-GAMING-7-OP one isn't? broootal - I even had to take out the Octane memory to make it work. shoulda got the non octane one

Are you trying this to use with a UAD Apollo interface?

Are you trying this to use with a UAD Apollo interface?

Yeah, using an BF apollo 8p, apollo 16 and quad sat ... I got it working by putting it in the last pci-e slot on the motherboard. Working in both mac and windows now. Ah yeah, im just plugging it direct into the alpine ridge card. It seems to be a bit finky with booting and i keep trying to patch so it doesn't sleep lol cause that messes it up. Getting close to 100% operational though, working great! I was worried the Z370-OP wasn't supported, but just had it in the wrong PCI-E slot ! cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back