Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 on ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 itx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another update to this thread as there are not many boards with thunderbolt out there...

My thunderbolt is now working perfectly, I am able to connect my Apogee Ensemble via firewire at any time, previously i had to turn it on before booting, or during a restart, and it was hit and miss as to whether or not the software which controls the device would work, usually it wouldn't.

Updating the BIOS to P1.70 helped the device connect reliably, but the software was still an issue.

After I installed the last Nvidia update, i thought id try installing Apogee's driver software following the same instructions I used to install the Nvidia Webdriver. Basically, it is turning SIP on when installing, and off again once the driver was installed.

I tested this with my Apogee software and it wouldn't work with SIP on, so i changed my config.plist file with clover, and restarted with the SIP off and it connected with the software and straight away.

1. ENABLE SIP
If an attempt is made to install the web drivers in High Sierra 10.13 without SIP enabled a warning will popup that the drivers may not install correctly. To prevent that warning from showing and ensuring the web drivers are installed properly we need to enable SIP temporarily.

1. Open config.plist in clover configurator
  2. Navigate RT Variables > CsrActivateConfig
  3. Change CsrActivateConfig to 0x00
  4. Restart Hackintosh
2. RE-DISABLE SIP
At this point when you boot into macOS there should be graphical support and no rebooting. If you enabled SIP in config.plist you need to disable it again. Open config.plist in Clover Configurator and change CsrActivateConfig to 0x67

@Jace1981 Just to confirm you have firwire devices working using the TB3 port but haven't tested Thunderbolt itself?

Judging by the number of posters earlier in thread trying to get TB working I'm inclined to think that it just won't work using this board. It's a shame as there doesn't seem to be another option for Thunderbolt on an ITX board.

@Jace1981 Just to confirm you have firwire devices working using the TB3 port but haven't tested Thunderbolt itself?

Judging by the number of posters earlier in thread trying to get TB working I'm inclined to think that it just won't work using this board. It's a shame as there doesn't seem to be another option for Thunderbolt on an ITX board.

Yes I’m using FireWire devices but I find it hard to believe that thunderbolt devices won’t work. There was one guy on here who couldn’t get his TB2 drive working. I wouldn’t say it was a number of posters. It’s a hackintosh, nothing is easy.

Yes I’m using FireWire devices but I find it hard to believe that thunderbolt devices won’t work. There was one guy on here who couldn’t get his TB2 drive working. I wouldn’t say it was a number of posters. It’s a hackintosh, nothing is easy.

Ah you're right its only one in this thread, I have seen the same complaint on another thread I must have been thinking of that. I'd really like to know that someone has got TB3 working before commiting to a build - if I go this way it will be in a case with no expansion possiblilty so there will be no possibility of going the PCI card route. I may just have to take the risk since portability is my priority on this build.

Ah you're right its only one in this thread, I have seen the same complaint on another thread I must have been thinking of that. I'd really like to know that someone has got TB3 working before commiting to a build - if I go this way it will be in a case with no expansion possiblilty so there will be no possibility of going the PCI card route. I may just have to take the risk since portability is my priority on this build.

What are you trying to connect?

I Honestly wouldn’t recommend a hackintosh for anything that MUST be reliable anyway. Don’t know how experienced you are with them, this is my first one and find myself just using Windows most of the time. I have a MacBook Pro as well so if I must use a Mac, I have that option, so the hackintosh is really just for Logic Pro which it is fine with. Also, I’m using 10 year old equipment via 3 different interface adapters and it still works. I’m sure you would be able to get what you want to use going, but as It might take some work.

if You aren’t intending to use a dedicated gpu, you will have the pci slot on the board. It seems that graphics are the main problems with hackintosh. I went from a nvidia card to Radeon, and it works beautifully. The nvidia was good, but the speed of my system seemed hindered by it.

What are you trying to connect?

I Honestly wouldn’t recommend a hackintosh for anything that MUST be reliable anyway. Don’t know how experienced you are with them, this is my first one and find myself just using Windows most of the time. I have a MacBook Pro as well so if I must use a Mac, I have that option, so the hackintosh is really just for Logic Pro which it is fine with. Also, I’m using 10 year old equipment via 3 different interface adapters and it still works. I’m sure you would be able to get what you want to use going, but as It might take some work.

if You aren’t intending to use a dedicated gpu, you will have the pci slot on the board. It seems that graphics are the main problems with hackintosh. I went from a nvidia card to Radeon, and it works beautifully. The nvidia was good, but the speed of my system seemed hindered by it.

I wouldn't need the TB at first it's more with expansion and future use in mind e.g. Thunderbolt external SSD for samples or audio interface for very low latency recording.

Because it's a portable build there will be no room in the case for using the pci-e slot. I've looked at the ITX cases and room for a card makes the case twice as large and likely to gather dust by my desk rather than being a portable solution.

I tried and failed to do a hack a few years ago on an old machine rather than starting from scratch. The way I run VST's, a dual core Macbook aint gonna cut it and the quads are just too expensive for me. I could literally build three to four portable hacks of significantly greater power for the price of the one 15" Macbook Pro.

I don't know if this is helpful at all but I figured I would post incase someone with more knowledge can interpret this.

In clover configurator I had Devices > Fake ID > IntelGFX set to 0x59128086. When I replaced this with 0x0 thunderbolt stopped working. I went back and reset the value to 0x59128086 and thunderbolt started working once again.

I'm on 10.13.4 and my thunderbolt device is a Apollo twin duo using a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adaptor. I was unable to get a video signal through the thunderbolt port so there may be aspects that are not working. Perhaps I need to reenable motherboard video in the bios.

I have been trying to optimize my system and tweaking settings hence removing the GFX Fake ID. I've got everything working on my ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 itx except wifi is done through a USB card and performance does not equate booting into windows.

I don't know if this is helpful at all but I figured I would post incase someone with more knowledge can interpret this.

In clover configurator I had Devices > Fake ID > IntelGFX set to 0x59128086. When I replaced this with 0x0 thunderbolt stopped working. I went back and reset the value to 0x59128086 and thunderbolt started working once again.

I'm on 10.13.4 and my thunderbolt device is a Apollo twin duo using a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adaptor. I was unable to get a video signal through the thunderbolt port so there may be aspects that are not working. Perhaps I need to reenable motherboard video in the bios.

I have been trying to optimize my system and tweaking settings hence removing the GFX Fake ID. I've got everything working on my ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 itx except wifi is done through a USB card and performance does not equate booting into windows.

Im also on ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 itx..

I have experimented with an EGPU on thunderbolt port and it does work.
Although i have bad HDMI wire that wont work properly with a 4k TCL. Stuck in 1080p.
But it is recognized in system info / graphics
Akitio Node with GTX 960. Installed NVDAEGPUSuppor-v8 from egpu.io

Last edited:
@ownliwon, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Updated info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back