Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 on ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 itx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you tell how you got your build working? I don't even care about the Thunderbolt yet, just need to know how I can get High Sierra installed on this board. My CPU will be the non-K version, but that shouldn't be an issue, right?

Could you tell how you got your build working? I don't even care about the Thunderbolt yet, just need to know how I can get High Sierra installed on this board. My CPU will be the non-K version, but that shouldn't be an issue, right?
I changed my board to Gigabyte Z370N WiFi

I haven't tested TB3 device yet, but usb3.1 gen2 SSD(sandisk Extreme900) works as well as when it plugged to TB3 port on MBP 2017.But doesn't work on hot plugging.
View attachment 298101 View attachment 298103

What did you have to do to get that going as I have this motherboard and I can't get an Apollo Twin to work. Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running the Asrock Z370 ITX board and have been able to get my Firewire 400 devices working Via the Thunderbolt 3 on this board.

I'm using the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter into the TB2 to FW800 adapter and FW800 to 400 cable. Now that I know it is works, I may get the OWC dock eventually. I'm running High Sierra. I had problems installing my Apogee ensemble on my MacBook Pro with High Sierra, so older versions of macOS may work better. I had to have my FW devices turned on before booting into macOS (or windows with my old Presonus firebox).

The Presonus didn't like the legacy 1394 drivers as it did on a Windows 10 PC. I was using with a Firewire card installed. Now its using an LSI 1394 driver, I believe.

I used someone else's guide to install High Sierra and it worked well. Now that I have a Time Machine back up of a working install, I might see how I go installing El Capitain as i know it works better with my devices.

I'm very happy my devices are working as my Apogee was expensive when I bought it and the iMac 5K, which I was using, started having image retention issues. So I decided to get rid of it before it got any worse and try a hackintosh build.

The versatility of this hardware is awesome its not perfect but its damn close to it. The iMac was a POS anyway, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running the Asrock Z370 ITX board and have been able to get my Firewire 400 devices working Via the Thunderbolt 3 on this board.

I'm using the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter into the TB2 to FW800 adapter and FW800 to 400 cable. Now that I know it is works, I may get the OWC dock eventually. I'm running High Sierra. I had problems installing my Apogee ensemble on my MacBook Pro with High Sierra, so older versions of macOS may work better. I had to have my FW devices turned on before booting into macOS (or windows with my old Presonus firebox).

The Presonus didn't like the legacy 1394 drivers as it did on a Windows 10 PC. I was using with a Firewire card installed. Now its using an LSI 1394 driver, I believe.

I used someone else's guide to install High Sierra and it worked well. Now that I have a Time Machine back up of a working install, I might see how I go installing El Capitain as i know it works better with my devices.

I'm very happy my devices are working as my Apogee was expensive when I bought it and the iMac 5K, which I was using, started having image retention issues. So I decided to get rid of it before it got any worse and try a hackintosh build.

The versatility of this hardware is awesome its not perfect but its damn close to it. The iMac was a POS anyway, IMO.
Great work! Any chance of trying a TB2 device, to help verify that connection as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

So did you need to install any additional drivers to get the TB3 port to work? Or did you just follow the guide as is? I’m going to be building a machine with the ASRock z370 itx and the TB3 is a need for me. Seems like a lot of people are having issues with it.

So did you need to install any additional drivers to get the TB3 port to work? Or did you just follow the guide as is? I’m going to be building a machine with the ASRock z370 itx and the TB3 is a need for me. Seems like a lot of people are having issues with it.

I didn't additionally with High Sierra, just the standard device drivers and I made sure they were up to date in Windows and TB was enabled in the BIOS.

I wish I had a TB3 or TB2 device to test as I have FireWire only.

After updating with the Supplementary Update for 10.13.3, my apogee ensemble is having problems, and I haven't been able to connect it. But my other FW device still works in windows. I'm sure it will work itself out. I find that the physical type-c port itself is poorly designed as the plug seems to fall out very easily which is annoying.

**Just to update. I went back to the previous High sierra build (17D47), and on the second boot my firewire devices connect via the TB3 and adapters started working again.**

Last edited:
N
Great work! Any chance of trying a TB2 device, to help verify that connection as well?
no sorry, I don't have any Thunderbolt devices at all. I have a mini-dp to display port cable I want to try with the tb3>tb2 adapter to see if I can get video.

My FireWire device isn't working now I've installed the supplementary update for 10.13.3 which is frustrating.

Nvidia released a new update for 10.13.3 which has given me back full use of my FireWire devices connected via FireWire 800 to thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapters. I'm not sure why but after installing and restarting my devices started working again.
The nvidia driver ends in .161.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back