Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Are there any motherboards with native Thunderbolt 3, especially in the Custom Mac Pro builds?

Thunderbolt hasn't been native yet, but does work with a few caveats. No hotswapping of devices is the biggest one. Also some devices do not wake from sleep.

There are a few boards with Thunderbolt 3 including the board I have- the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5-TH and the ASUS Z170 Premium however support hasn't been fully tested. There are reports of Thunderbolt 3 working successfully without hotswap support. Bottom line, with Thunderbolt 2 and 3 it is necessary to install Windows Thunderbolt drivers to 'wake up' the Thunderbolt chip on the board. After that, if using Thunderbolt Legacy mode it will work in OS X.

Here are some threads to check out.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-ga-z87x-ud7-th-thunderbolt-2-0-testing.120690/
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...0k-intel-hd-530-thunderbolt-dual-boot.191292/

I'm still using the Haswell Z87X-UD7-TH as my main rig, with a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter for my MOTU audio device.

Last edited:
There are a few boards with Thunderbolt 3 including the board I have- the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5-TH and the ASUS Z170 Premium however support hasn't been fully tested. There are reports of Thunderbolt 3 working successfully without hotswap support. Bottom line, with Thunderbolt 2 and 3 it is necessary to install Windows Thunderbolt drivers to 'wake up' the Thunderbolt chip on the board. After that, if using Thunderbolt Legacy mode it will work in OS X.

Wait, so Thunderbolt 2 works w/ wake up from sleep + hotswap? Also, don't the Macbook's have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C? I would think that means there would be support... or are they just too new?

Wait, so Thunderbolt 2 works w/ wake up from sleep + hotswap? Also, don't the Macbook's have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C? I would think that means there would be support... or are they just too new?

No- neither TH1, TH2, or TH3 works with hotswap or wake from sleep. MacBooks only have USB-C, not Thunderbolt 3.

No- neither TH1, TH2, or TH3 works with hotswap or wake from sleep. MacBooks only have USB-C, not Thunderbolt 3.

Ah, I was under the impression that USB-C *is* Thunderbolt 3. My bad.

The wake from sleep issue, have you found that if you disable sleep, nothing else screws it up? Ex. screen sleeping? (Thank you for responding to all of this btw, I just want to make sure I'm fully aware of issues before I drop the $ on a new build)

Correct screen sleep is fine just not full sleep.

Hello,
Gigabyte z170 gaming 7 is able to executed Thunderbolt 3 ?
Any experience ?

Gigabyte z170 gaming 7 is ok for Thunderbolt 3 with Startech adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back