Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 Modified Firmware Custom SSDT Discussion

Someone with the following configuration, is being able to use Titan Ridge on MacOS 11.3.1?
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming, i9 9900k, 64GB DDR4 3200, Radeon Vega 56.
When I install MacOS 11.3.1 it crashes on the last reboot with 7 min left, so I have to restart it manually, and when I enter the system it crashes.
The same occurs with stock and custom firmware.
Today I went to test MacOS 11.3.1 on another SSD, and in this case I removed the Titan Ridge card, and I didn't have any more crashes, so I really use TB3 with an M.2 SSD.
Is anyone experiencing this same problem?

Someone with the following configuration, is being able to use Titan Ridge on MacOS 11.3.1?
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming, i9 9900k, 64GB DDR4 3200, Radeon Vega 56.
When I install MacOS 11.3.1 it crashes on the last reboot with 7 min left, so I have to restart it manually, and when I enter the system it crashes.
The same occurs with stock and custom firmware.
Today I went to test MacOS 11.3.1 on another SSD, and in this case I removed the Titan Ridge card, and I didn't have any more crashes, so I really use TB3 with an M.2 SSD.
Is anyone experiencing this same problem?
Theres been an update for that. Check here.

I have an Asus ThunderboltEX 3.
With the available firmware, it says to use different versions based on whether it's a Rev B or C.
This says Rev 1.00.

I need some clarification. Since I saw a B up top, I flashed the B version. I want to test this with a Mac Pro 5,1 (not a hack, although I have several I can test with as well). I also am not sure which pins to jump on this, so I did the same 3/5 that the Gigabyte cards use, but nothing shows up in System Report.

Attached is the original firmware dump and a pic of the card.

Attachments

• OriginalFirmware-AsusEX3.bin.zip
    146.7 KB · Views: 80
  • AsusEX3.jpeg
    AsusEX3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 69
With the available firmware, it says to use different versions based on whether it's a Rev B or C.
This says Rev 1.00.

I need some clarification. Since I saw a B up top, I flashed the B version. I want to test this with a Mac Pro 5,1 (not a hack, although I have several I can test with as well). I also am not sure which pins to jump on this, so I did the same 3/5 that the Gigabyte cards use, but nothing shows up in System Report.

Are you using Open Core boot loader on your real Mac? If not that is where you have to start. The Jumper to force power on the card is only known to work on the GC cards not the Asus cards. Maybe @NorthAmTransAm can shed more light on it.

This says Rev 1.00.

I'll need to get a little reacquainted with the firmware so bare with me. My documented OEM capture also looks a bit different than yours for both NVM18 and NVM26. By the way, yours is NVM26.

@scottkendall is right, if you're not using OpenCore then go ahead and get acquainted with that because you'll need a way to inject the SSDT for the card.

Are you using Open Core boot loader on your real Mac? If not that is where you have to start. The Jumper to force power on the card is only known to work on the GC cards not the Asus cards. Maybe @NorthAmTransAm can shed more light on it.
I am familiar with OpenCore. I use it for the GC-Titan and GC-Alpine. There is a SSDT included with the download, SSDT-ASUS-TBEX3-RP21.aml. I'm assuming this was configured for a hack and not a genuine 5,1?

The bummer is what you said about the jumper not working.

Attachments

• SSDT-ASUS-TBEX3-RP21.aml.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 64
I'll need to get a little reacquainted with the firmware so bare with me. My documented OEM capture also looks a bit different than yours for both NVM18 and NVM26. By the way, yours is NVM26.

@scottkendall is right, if you're not using OpenCore then go ahead and get acquainted with that because you'll need a way to inject the SSDT for the card.
Thanks, I flashed it with AlpineRidgeEX3-NVM26-NATA.bin and tried the jumper and nothing shows up in System Report. Even without a proper SSDT, if the jumper was working then shouldn't at least show up in System Report?

Question, do you know in IOReg where the card is supposed to be?

I imagine it’s not RP21 where my SSDT was pointed.

Question, do you know in IOReg where the card is supposed to be?

I imagine it’s not RP21 where my SSDT was pointed.
Not sure in IOReg, since it's not activated by doing by doing the traditional pin jump. I can see the GC-Alpine/Titan in IOReg since they jump easily.

I was reading this post:

"Anyway, the reason jumping pin 3 to Force Power works is because pin 3 in the GC-TITAN RIDGE has 3.34V compared to ground which is enough to do Force Power (jumping pin 1 to pin 4 would also work). This doesn't work with all add-in cards. Pin 3 on a GC-ALPINE RIDGE only has 0.6V. This is why I use pull up resistors to SATA 3.3V power for both GC-TITAN RIDGE and GC-ALPINE RIDGE (I also pull up pin 3 and pin 4)."

Any suggestions before I dig into using pull up resistors?

Back