Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 Modified Firmware Custom SSDT Discussion

Unfortunately not yet! I've been pinned down with work.

I need to find out which pins (3 and 5) on the GC-Titan would be the same on my EX3 so I can try @scottkendall 's idea.

While looking at the plug it on the card I would say pin five is on the right.

While looking at the plug it on the card I would say pin five is on the right.

My EX3 has more pins on the card side, however they are summed together to five total on the motherboard side of the header like normal.

I need to translate whats going on with each first.

Or, I can try jumping 3 and 5 on the motherboard end of the cable and then work my way back.

EX3 doesn't have 3.3V on pin 3 so it's not going to cause Force Power. Maybe use 3.3V from SATA with 8.2kΩ resistor. Maybe do the same for the Platform Sequence Control pins so the card doesn't try to sleep. #182

There is a EX3 Thunderbolt header to 5 pin cable if you have an EX3 that does not come with the cable.

Using the motherboard side is how most people do the jumper for the GC-TITAN RIDGE (because getting a wire to go in the holes is easier than connecting two pins).

Unfortunately not yet! I've been pinned down with work.

I need to find out which pins (3 and 5) on the GC-Titan would be the same on my EX3 so I can try @scottkendall 's idea.
thanks.

on my GC-AR I've tried the jumper on pins 3 and 5 but sleep malfunctions as it does when using the header.

I'm not convinced it's not a BIOS setting that needs to be tweaked. rain this morning so no yard work, and I will spend some time experimenting.

I need to either find a solution or toss in the towel and pick up a designare from amazon before they are all gone. I assume GA will cease production in favor of the Z490 boards.

EX3 doesn't have 3.3V on pin 3 so it's not going to cause Force Power. Maybe use 3.3V from SATA with 8.2kΩ resistor. Maybe do the same for the Platform Sequence Control pins so the card doesn't try to sleep. #182

There is a EX3 Thunderbolt header to 5 pin cable if you have an EX3 that does not come with the cable.

Using the motherboard side is how most people do the jumper for the GC-TITAN RIDGE (because getting a wire to go in the holes is easier than connecting two pins).

Wow, great info. Thanks! Luckily I have two cables lying around.

I'll be investigating the procedure this morning but if im reading it correctly, you're pulling 3.3v from the SATA ports?

@faithie999 I'm in the same boat. Another adverse effect I'm seeing here is my 4TB HDD over SATA gets real shifty when using Thunderbolt this way.

It could be a number of things really but I'm not certain. Perhaps I'm underpowered. Maybe the drive is going and I just cant find the consistency in behavior.

The one thing thats real clear to me is that if I boot with my HDD connected then I cannot connect a TB device. I will see the tree and everything, but nothing will load. I feel safe in assuming that this is a new limitation since we've changed behaviors of TB on this board.

thanks.

on my GC-AR I've tried the jumper on pins 3 and 5 but sleep malfunctions as it does when using the header.

I'm not convinced it's not a BIOS setting that needs to be tweaked. rain this morning so no yard work, and I will spend some time experimenting.

I need to either find a solution or toss in the towel and pick up a designare from amazon before they are all gone. I assume GA will cease production in favor of the Z490 boards.
Or you could dump the Alpine ridge and get a Titian ridge.

@NorthAmTransAm--
I'm trying to get my AR AIC to work reliably with the apple Thunderbolt Display.
in the ROM repo, Casey lists 2 rom's by Elias64Fr, and one by you. yours has NVM21 in the file name.
when I use Elias's ROM, the display functions properly but the display doesn't light up when I wake the computer from sleep. so I thought I would try yours.
I boot with a secondary monitor attached and at the transition to the desktop, the TB display never lights up. I've booted with the mobo header connected, pins 3 and 5 jumpered, and with nothing connected to the 5-pin connector on the AR.

in the About this Mac panel, I click Displays, and both displays are reported. in system information--thunderbolt, the TB display shows as connected. all looks good except nothing on the TB display!.

I noticed in system information--thunderbolt it says Firmware version 33. maybe that's why it's not fully operational. do you have an NVM20 version, or maybe the NVM21 version, since when I download what is named GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin reports as Firmware version 33.

thanks!

Attachments

• system information--Thunderbolt.png
    system information--Thunderbolt.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 103
  • About this mac--displays.png
    About this mac--displays.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 92
Or you could dump the Alpine ridge and get a Titian ridge.
true, but at $100 for the TR, vs $220 for an open-box designare on amazon, I'll get the new mobo and demote this mobo to an old hack that needs updating, where I don't need TB.

@NorthAmTransAm--
I'm trying to get my AR AIC to work reliably with the apple Thunderbolt Display.
in the ROM repo, Casey lists 2 rom's by Elias64Fr, and one by you. yours has NVM21 in the file name.
when I use Elias's ROM, the display functions properly but the display doesn't light up when I wake the computer from sleep. so I thought I would try yours.
I boot with a secondary monitor attached and at the transition to the desktop, the TB display never lights up. I've booted with the mobo header connected, pins 3 and 5 jumpered, and with nothing connected to the 5-pin connector on the AR.

in the About this Mac panel, I click Displays, and both displays are reported. in system information--thunderbolt, the TB display shows as connected. all looks good except nothing on the TB display!.

I noticed in system information--thunderbolt it says Firmware version 33. maybe that's why it's not fully operational. do you have an NVM20 version, or maybe the NVM21 version, since when I download what is named GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin reports as Firmware version 33.

thanks!

Video pass threw does not work on the NATA version never has.

I'll be investigating the procedure this morning but if im reading it correctly, you're pulling 3.3v from the SATA ports?
That's right. My GC-ALPINE RIDGE cards and GC-TITAN RIDGE cards are in a Netstor NA255A connected to my Mac Pro 2008. The Netstor did not come with a SATA power cable so I made my own. I usually only use the add-in cards for USB 3.1 gen 2. Occasionally I use them to convert DisplayPort to Thunderbolt. My cards aren't flashed and I haven't installed an SSDT. Only the GC-TITAN RIDGE cards work for PCIe tunnelling (after warm boot from Windows). One day I'll get into looking at Thunderbolt drivers in Linux, UEFI (github and my Gaming 7 motherboard), Mac DSDT/SSDTs (I have a MacMini 2018), macOS, etc.

Back