Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 Modified Firmware Custom SSDT Discussion

@CaseySJ could you provide any insight as to where to poke around for fixing thunderbolt devices not reconnecting on sleep inside our current SSDT?

I've been experimenting with loading various Mac thunderbolt SSDT's from their Darwin Dumps as well. With a few patches I'm able to get them to load but there is no Hotplug functionality. In fact, any SSDT that calls on GPE will throw a panic in the background. I did notice however that my Apollo Twin (which is daisy chained to the x16) shows up as DSB4 underneath DSB1 while the x16 still is loaded as a pci bridge. Neat! That is when using native SSDT's.

Lastly, the EX3 seems to be the only card that carries an empty HPM device. It loads no UUID. I wonder if these are related.

Do you have the TB_C header connected? When I do it get undesierable sleep.

Do you have the TB_C header connected? When I do it get undesierable sleep.

Yeah, without the header RP21 won't load anything. If I use a force power type kext (tbforcepower, I0electrify) then I get a tree consisting of only DSB0, DSB1, and so on. Funny stuff.

I need to find the post for modifying your GC cable and apply it my EX3.

Yeah, without the header RP21 won't load anything. If I use a force power type kext (tbforcepower, I0electrify) then I get a tree consisting of only DSB0, DSB1, and so on. Funny stuff.

I need to find the post for modifying your GC cable and apply it my EX3.

I did not modify a cable I put a jumper wire from Pin 3 to Pin 5. Some others have sobered the points together.

I did not modify a cable I put a jumper wire from Pin 3 to Pin 5. Some others have sobered the points together.

Thats exactly what I mean. I'll give it a whirl once I find which pins I need to jump.

Got done trying all the combinations of SSDTs and variations to get my ALpine Ridge and Titan Ridge to show up at the same time on my Z170X-Designare. Have finally concluded that the bios only wants to talk to 1 type of controller at a time not matter what, even on windows. I did however finally get the USB-C to play nice when the Titan Ridge is plugged in to PCIE. Before it would not want to connect USB-C devices through the alpine ridge, even when plugged in at boot. Modifying the Alpine Ridge SSDT thats posted here to go to the proper RP locations as well as slots seems to have brought that back to life. Sadly still no double Alpine Ridge AIC working.

Got done trying all the combinations of SSDTs and variations to get my ALpine Ridge and Titan Ridge to show up at the same time on my Z170X-Designare. Have finally concluded that the bios only wants to talk to 1 type of controller at a time not matter what, even on windows.

This is kind of the determination I came to a while back is that the alpine and Titan do not work together in the same system. However, I think if you had two Titan ridge card or two alpine ridge cards everything should play well.

@CaseySJ could you point me in the right direction for addressing thunderbolt after sleep? Currently it's broken.

@CaseySJ could you point me in the right direction for addressing thunderbolt after sleep? Currently it's broken.

For me sleep was messed up when I had the thb_c header connected to the card that’s the primary reason I am using the jumper.

Hi,

I decided to post my question originally posted on the Gigabyte Designare Z390 thread here. I probably should have started here in the first place and I hope you agree with me.

Quick summary so far:

My setup:
  • Mainboard: GA-H170-HD3
  • Gigabyte GC Alpine Ridge (Rev 1.0!)
    • installed into second PCIe x16 slot (x4), RP05
    • tested with TH3 header cable and jumpers
  • macOS 10.15.4

Firmware files I tested so far:
  • GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM20-V1-Elias64Fr.bin, GC-ALPINE RIDGE-NVM20-V2-Elias64Fr.bin
    • Seem to not work at all. TB3 tree is not showing up - "No hardware found"
  • GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-NVM21-V3-NATA.bin
    • TB tree is showing up, USB-C fully working
    • Link status in system profiler is changing but connected devices will not show up (reboot doesn't help)
    • Followed the mini guide and applied the SSDTs accordingly
Screenshots:
Thunderbolt devices I tested:
  • Razor Core X
  • OWC Thunderbolt Dock
  • MacBook Pro

It feels like the firmware isn't quite right for my Alpine Ridge Rev1. Is anyone else using it successfully? (@genzai maybe?)
That's why I decided to try to patch the firmware myself but it's not easy to find details information on that. @dgsga provided some good hints here but I have doubts about the third offset and would appreciate more feedback.
I attached my firmware backup in case someone is willing to have a look (very sure it's not the one it came with - I updated it via Windows at least once).

Thanks for all of your work!

Attachments

• GC-Alpine-Ridge-rev1-original.bin.zip
    279.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
@noname0 Your third offset is at BA8. Try the attached file with the three byte changes in it

Attachments

• MyPatch.bin.zip
    279.6 KB · Views: 130
Back