Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 Modified Firmware Custom SSDT Discussion

@scottkendall have you any experience with using a TR card in an AR board? Besides GPU I don't have too much more I can do to my system and wouldn't mind having dual TB3 ports before shutting the doors. I don't have an issue with AR either or flashing.

@scottkendall have you any experience with using a TR card in an AR board? Besides GPU I don't have too much more I can do to my system and wouldn't mind having dual TB3 ports before shutting the doors. I don't have an issue with AR either or flashing.
Do you mean AR like an older board that supports a AR AIC? or do you mean a board that has a AR on it? In either case I do not have any experience but I do not see why a TR card would not work with a older board that was made for an AR.

Do you mean AR like an older board that supports a AR AIC? or do you mean a board that has a AR on it? In either case I do not have any experience but I do not see why a TR card would not work with a older board that was made for an AR.
Correct, a board that supports AR like mine but doesn't have anything onboard. Aren't the headers bigger maybe? I think its time I do some exploring!

EDIT: They're just five pin.

Last edited:
Do you have the TB software installed in windows? If you do not have the Thunderbolt 3 software install in windows it will not work in windows. The reason we mod the TB cards under Mac OS is so that we can disable the ICM management that is required under windows and requires the software to function. Also if are using a modified firmware not just the standard versions of the firmware IMO V33 is the best version. Yes I know it is for the Designere z390 mother board but I use it on my Titan and have for the last year.

Lastly if you do not have a TBC_C header you may never get the card to work I have made one work on a board without a header but it does not function as desired.
So at that time it was OEM v23. people have had success, I still couldn't get it working in windows or Mac.
now, I have flashed this alpine ridge and titan ridge (e23) and they show up in system report thunderbolt! sweet. it recognizes the drive but doesn't show up in disk utility.
I have two builds here, both with no thb header, however, one has onboard tb3 which is working fantastic.
I do have an aml from HackinDrom as well as the aml that comes in the zip in the 1st post of this thread. I've tried with thunderboltreset and tbtforcepower, every combination. so stumped
alpine Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 3.01.08 PM.png
alpine
titan Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 3.44.29 PM.png
titan

maybe cause its a raid? tho it works with the onboard and that doesn't even show up in thunderbolt system report

So at that time it was OEM v23. people have had success, I still couldn't get it working in windows or Mac.
now, I have flashed this alpine ridge and titan ridge (e23) and they show up in system report thunderbolt! sweet. it recognizes the drive but doesn't show up in disk utility.
I have two builds here, both with no thb header, however, one has onboard tb3 which is working fantastic.
I do have an aml from HackinDrom as well as the aml that comes in the zip in the 1st post of this thread. I've tried with thunderboltreset and tbtforcepower, every combination. so stumped
View attachment 513828alpineView attachment 513829titan

maybe cause its a raid? tho it works with the onboard and that doesn't even show up in thunderbolt system report

I'd check this guide and double check that your DROM is right. Shouldn't your speed be showing up as 40 Gb/s?

Study it closely and double check your work. That could be a good indicator of what's up.

Mini-Guide for Viewing, Editing and Verifying Thunderbolt DROM with ThunderboltUtil

alpinetitan

I can not speak to why your raid is not working, but I can tell you that it will show up in the thunderbolt system report if you have the firmware flashed correctly to the controller. If you do not have a modified firmware on the on board that is why it does not show up in the system report. That is the first step, the second step is making sure your SSDT is correct the one on the first page may not get you a fully functioning TB3.

I'd check this guide and double check that your DROM is right. Shouldn't your speed be showing up as 40 Gb/s?

Study it closely and double check your work. That could be a good indicator of what's up.

Mini-Guide for Viewing, Editing and Verifying Thunderbolt DROM with ThunderboltUtil
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.08.36 PM.png

using the SSDT from this thread got me 40 gbps as well as saying Apple, inc. instead of Gigabyte. Still no go though :/
I can not speak to why your raid is not working, but I can tell you that it will show up in the thunderbolt system report if you have the firmware flashed correctly to the controller. If you do not have a modified firmware on the on board that is why it does not show up in the system report. That is the first step, the second step is making sure your SSDT is correct the one on the first page may not get you a fully functioning TB3.
Yeah I've got it correct in system report now! It even recognizes the damn RAID which is killin me
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.07.10 PM.png

Can some kind gentleman take a look at my EFI and see what could possibly be the case? Attaching it below. Again, I do have the Alpine Ridge, Titan Ridge 1.0, and Titan Ridge 2.0, only trying them one at a time, yet all are exhibiting this same behavior after flashing, so its gotta be something in my SSDTs...I have modified them to match the RP05 in IOreg however. I do have separate SSDTs when I try the Alpine and the TR. Will try to look into the DROM guide meanwhile.
Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

• New PR with flashed ROM.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
using the SSDT from this thread got me 40 gbps as well as saying Apple, inc. instead of Gigabyte. Still no go though :/

Yeah I've got it correct in system report now! It even recognizes the damn RAID which is killin me
Can some kind gentleman take a look at my EFI and see what could possibly be the case? Attaching it below. Again, I do have the Alpine Ridge, Titan Ridge 1.0, and Titan Ridge 2.0, only trying them one at a time, yet all are exhibiting this same behavior after flashing, so its gotta be something in my SSDTs...I have modified them to match the RP05 in IOreg however. I do have separate SSDTs when I try the Alpine and the TR. Will try to look into the DROM guide meanwhile.
Thanks in advance guys!
Here are my SSDT for the Titan you will need to change RP21 to RP05 not sure if it will help. I also would recommend creating different EFI for all your testing because you have like 5 files that all kind of do the same-thing. I did not look at each of your configs to see if you were loading more then one but you might want to check.

Attachments

• TR.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi Im trying to patch a firmware for a T480s I know its the alpine ridge I've dumped my TB chip contents and I tried finding the differences with Apples Kabby lake bin and there were way too many different bytes for me to narrow down the proper patch bytes so I thought that splicing in the DROM from my system into the apple firmware might work and I was able to boot the machine but no bus presence actually no controller was detected at all compared with the same thing done with soy patched firmware with my drom value which was able to boot with controller function but no usb presence. Any info you could help me with would be awesome. I can patch myself just need some idea of the proper way.

Hi Im trying to patch a firmware for a T480s I know its the alpine ridge I've dumped my TB chip contents and I tried finding the differences with Apples Kabby lake bin and there were way too many different bytes for me to narrow down the proper patch bytes so I thought that splicing in the DROM from my system into the apple firmware might work and I was able to boot the machine but no bus presence actually no controller was detected at all compared with the same thing done with soy patched firmware with my drom value which was able to boot with controller function but no usb presence. Any info you could help me with would be awesome. I can patch myself just need some idea of the proper way.

With Alpine Ridge it is sometimes possible to get a thunderbolt extended bus with a few patches and an SSDT. We can try that if you'd like.

Also, if you'd like I could try patching the firmware.

Back