Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 Modified Firmware Custom SSDT Discussion

@scottkendall
"Why do you think the problem is the thunderbolt when your error says FocusritePCIe this would lead me to believe that it is a problem with a Focusrite PCI card not the Thunderbolt card. What Focusrite device do you have?"

although the driver name is misdescribed, it is actually the thunderbolt driver. Its a redline16. I get what you say about compromises given no header. Im doing ok with it given this, as I'm getting full power on both ports. Im certain my system is to blame in regard to this driver. Im just not knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot it.

I can get past the panic with hot plugging, however its interaction with core audio is still not happening, so Im only able to control the units functions via software.

Are you using a native firmware on the Thunderbolt card? If so then I suggest looking into fishing the card with a modified firmware, if the NVM23 firmware you using is modified I would suggest changing to the NVM33 that is for the Designare motherboard. Thats the version I use on my TB3 card, IMO the NVM23 does not work even close to as well as NVM33. However, I have noticed in my system that does not have header it does strange things.

Are you using a native firmware on the Thunderbolt card? If so then I suggest looking into fishing the card with a modified firmware, if the NVM23 firmware you using is modified I would suggest changing to the NVM33 that is for the Designare motherboard. Thats the version I use on my TB3 card, IMO the NVM23 does not work even close to as well as NVM33. However, I have noticed in my system that does not have header it does strange things.
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Im on 23 - I did try 33 for a good while - I found it to be less reliable in my build. It didnt change the issue Im looking to fix.

Hi, what SSDT do I need to build for my build.
I just bought a Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 card and flashed the chip with the '43' firmware.

The system is:
Z77X-UD5H with Mod Bios

Hello All,

Newbie alert, I have a MacPro 5,1 (mid 2010) with a flashed Titan Ridge 2.0 in slot 4, jumper pins 3-5, Flashed with GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ. Open Core 0.66.

I am trying to mount a OWC Thunderbay 3 JBOD setup, but the disks don't appear in Disk Utilities or even Diskutil list. My newer MacPro Laptop mounts the drives just fine with the factory USB-C. I just can't seem to get open core to mount the drives. I've tried many different .aml files, but nothing sees to let me mount the drives. Anyone else with a similar config successfully get the Titan Ridge 2.0 to work properly?

tia

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 06.14.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 06.14.54 PM.png
    65 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 06.14.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 06.14.41 PM.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 06.15.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 06.15.05 PM.png
    63 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Does anybody have an unmodified GC-AR card? Looking to do a test.
I have two unmodified rev 1 GC-AR cards. I don't think I extracted their firmwares (they didn't appear in Linux on my Mac Pro 2008 - I guess I need to create some EFI code to make them appear). The two unmodified rev 1 GC-TR cards did appear in Linux though.

If the motherboard lacks a THB_C header then the Thunderbolt add-in-card will most likely not power on in macOS. By connecting pins 3 and 5 of the J1 Header on the add-in-card, we can force power on.
Is that without custom firmware? Meaning original firmware, no THB_C header and thus, no specific bios settings?
I can't for the life of me get it working even in Windows, I'm using Titan Ridge 1.0 (I have 2.0 as well), 3/5 pin short, I've tried NVM v23, v43, and v50. It doesn't even work in Windows.

Is that without custom firmware? Meaning original firmware, no THB_C header and thus, no specific bios settings?
I can't for the life of me get it working even in Windows, I'm using Titan Ridge 1.0 (I have 2.0 as well), 3/5 pin short, I've tried NVM v23, v43, and v50. It doesn't even work in Windows.

I cant help but think that when using modified firmware your chances of a TB Card working in Windows is lower than when you started (OEM firmware).

If the Titan Ridge card isn't working on the Z97 then I would suggest this route with the Alpine Ridge card. You may need to reach out to @CaseySJ to tweak a thing or two for you.

I cant help but think that when using modified firmware your chances of a TB Card working in Windows is lower than when you started (OEM firmware).
From what I have read TB card with Modified firmware works in windows however, only after a warm boot from Mac OS. I am not sure of the reliability or if it works in every system.

Do you have the TB software installed in windows? If you do not have the Thunderbolt 3 software install in windows it will not work in windows. The reason we mod the TB cards under Mac OS is so that we can disable the ICM management that is required under windows and requires the software to function. Also if are using a modified firmware not just the standard versions of the firmware IMO V33 is the best version. Yes I know it is for the Designere z390 mother board but I use it on my Titan and have for the last year.

Lastly if you do not have a TBC_C header you may never get the card to work I have made one work on a board without a header but it does not function as desired.

Back