Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus H270-PRO
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Hi guys,

I would like to build a custoMac mini with Thunderbolt 3 (no expansion cards). No GPU, 8GB ram and i3-8350k - USB wifi since it does not have room for the pci card if I understand correctly.
As far as I know the only mobo that fits that description is the asrock z390 phantom gaming itx/ac so my shopping list would be the following:

- asrock z390 phantom gaming itx/ac
- i3-8350k
- 2x4gb ballistix sport LT
- thermaltake core v1
- tp link tl-wn823n

I already have many samsung ssd so I haven't included it in the list as well as the psu.

It has been a while since my last build so I 'd like to know if there is something wrong with the parts or that will give me terrible headaches during the installation... like macOS compatibility, usb wifi or thunderbolt 3 not working - the latter being the main thing I need from this.

If you know about smaller cases or better mobo/configurations for thunderbolt 3 (as long as it is in the same price range) I'm happy to change them!

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I am also checking out the asrock z390 phantom gaming itx/ac.
But as of now I did not read any success story of getting thunderbolt 3 to work.
Habe you tried it out?

Seems from the ASRock website that you shouldn't have to "wake the Thunderbolt port" via Windows 10, but IDK. Looks like this would be a great little machine. On the spec web page, it says
"- 1 x Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 (Compatible with USB 3.1 Gen2 and USB-C Display)" -I hope that truly means Thunderbolt 3, and ASRock is not just confusing itself with an extra USB-C. I can't see the entire box, either. It should work since it uses the term Thunderbolt. It's just usually splashed on the box and I'm not seeing it outside off the listed spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back