Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 ITX Motherboards (+ Hotplug)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, you cannot buy it yet... I haven't seen any of the stores having stock so far.

Yeah it's very recently announced, as was the 10th Gen Intel processors.

Last month I went with the Z390 + 9900k after seeing dozens of successful builds. As I've learned with Hackintosh-ing, if stability is paramount in your purchase, wait for others to try it out. For me, that means "buying in" near middle-end of each chipset + CPU lifecycle. With new chipsets + CPUs, even a couple successful builds indicates you're good to go but until then, you have no idea what issues might be present :)

Can't wait to see some Z490 + 10900k success stories!

FWIW => The one *big* drawback of the MSI Z490I Unify (and maybe others) seems to be that it will only support CNVi WiFi/BTW cards which rules out any of the Broadcom cards needed for native WiFi/BT support in macOS (Unless we use one of the two M.2's via an adapter or use the PCIE x16 slot). Not sure if the rest of them will also have the same restrictions! MSI Support confirmed this for the Z490I Unify :(

I hope it isn't true or that someone can find a workaround!

FWIW => The one *big* drawback of the MSI Z490I Unify (and maybe others) seems to be that it will only support CNVi WiFi/BTW cards which rules out any of the Broadcom cards needed for native WiFi/BT support in macOS (Unless we use one of the two M.2's via an adapter or use the PCIE x16 slot). Not sure if the rest of them will also have the same restrictions! MSI Support confirmed this for the Z490I Unify :(

I hope it isn't true or that someone can find a workaround!

Had no idea until now, thanks for the info! Reading about it, seems time will tell. The spec sheet on the website specifically says there are 2x M.2 (Key-M) which I'm sure most users would want to reserve for a couple M.2 SSDs, and the Wi-Fi/BT module is 1x M.2 (Key-E). On its face, that sounds like the same port we've been using. M.2 (Key-E) accepts the standard A/E key adapter for Broadcom modules ubiquitous in Hackintoshs.

For what it's worth, our mobo, the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac, says the Wi-Fi/BT module is an Intel CNVi M.2 (Key-E) vertical port. I can confirm, as I'm sure you can, that it works perfectly fine with the standard Hackintosh adapter and Broadcom units!

More important is whether the port is "locked" or not: For us the installation is as simple as plug-and-play. Considering the market segment I'm inclined to think the MSI Z490I would be the same unlocked port style implementation rather than locked in the BIOS or elsewhere to work exclusively with Intel CNVi cards.

-------------------------

TL;DR: CNVi sounds more like a M.2 (Key-E)-compliant, and reliant, protocol rather than a whole new proprietary connector. A new WiFi/BT proprietary connector would be awful for the Hackintosh community, but based on mobo's spec sheets, I don't think CNVi implements a new connector.

Had no idea until now, thanks for the info! Reading about it, seems time will tell. The spec sheet on the website specifically says there are 2x M.2 (Key-M) which I'm sure most users would want to reserve for a couple M.2 SSDs, and the Wi-Fi/BT module is 1x M.2 (Key-E). On its face, that sounds like the same port we've been using. M.2 (Key-E) accepts the standard A/E key adapter for Broadcom modules ubiquitous in Hackintoshs.

For what it's worth, our mobo, the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac, says the Wi-Fi/BT module is an Intel CNVi M.2 (Key-E) vertical port. I can confirm, as I'm sure you can, that it works perfectly fine with the standard Hackintosh adapter and Broadcom units!

More important is whether the port is "locked" or not: For us the installation is as simple as plug-and-play. Considering the market segment I'm inclined to think the MSI Z490I would be the same unlocked port style implementation rather than locked in the BIOS or elsewhere to work exclusively with Intel CNVi cards.

-------------------------

TL;DR: CNVi sounds more like a M.2 (Key-E)-compliant, and reliant, protocol rather than a whole new proprietary connector. A new WiFi/BT proprietary connector would be awful for the Hackintosh community, but based on mobo's spec sheets, I don't think CNVi implements a new connector.

Yeah it seems to be using the same connector but the pinout seems to be different. More details in this post. Apparently it depends on if it is locked at the chipset (Z490) level or by the MB in the BIOS (even as a hidden options) I sure hope it is the latter but fingers crossed!

Gigabyte have quietly added some higher end ATX X570 motherboards to the GC-TITAN RIDGE AIC support list, which has the middle of the range DSL7540 controller. This refers to ver. 1.1 of these boards, which don't appear anywhere else on their site, nor are advertised for sale anywhere. Anyway, they are the Aorus Xtreme, Master, Ultra and Pro Wifi which usually run for $270 to $700. So, maybe, a few more options For AMD Ryzen + Thunderbolt 3.

Do you guys know if the MSI MEG Z490I Unify can be hackintoshed? It wasn't clear from the thread, only that it has the later version of TB3.

Hi guys, sorry if this thread is dead or I should ask/look elsewhere, but I installed Catalina and am looking how to enable hot plug, particularly using the TB3 port on the i/o of my ASRock x570 Phantom ITX/TB3 board. If anyone has a particular SSDT that may work or something like that. It does recognize the drive if I boot with it plugged in. It will not boot at all if I have the drive running through my OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock. Also tried booting with just the dock connected to see if it would stay hot and connect devices but it does not.

... It does recognize the drive if I boot with it plugged in. It will not boot at all if I have the drive running through my OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock ...

Sounds like an incorrect BIOS setting since TB3 Docks are the tried-and-true way to bypass hot plug issues.

Is the cable between the TB3 Dock and the TB3 Port for sure a true Thunderbolt 3 cable and not just USB Type-C?
Are you absolutely positive the drive is Thunderbolt 3 and not USB 3.2 Type-C?

On my ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, the Thunderbolt 3 works as intended with my dock. I don't even have to have the dock plugged in at boot for it to be recognized later and pass in devices correctly. That said: I am using an Intel CPU and chipset which I'd bet makes a gigantic difference. Also, my USB map is perfected to stay under the 15-port limit thereby alleviating any "cascading" USB issues (such as when XHC has over 15 ports and "pushes" the RP21 array out-of-bounds; if that sounds like Greek to you then just trust that being under 15 ports on every PCI nub/hub is of paramount importance to squashing those edge-case bugs and issues that crop up with USB devices haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back