Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HM470
CPU
i7-10870H
Graphics
RTX 3060, 630
PRETEXT: Hello everyone, I'm just diving into researching about Hackintosh's and this is my first post so I apologize if there are any fauxpas I'm commiting.

My question isn't entirely specific to a hackintosh, and is more of a general technology question but I figure users here might know the answer.

I'm interested in ditching my 2018 MBP in favor of a Hackintosh Laptop. However, as I'm aware there are no drivers and never will be for RTX-based GPUs, using external monitors means one is bound to whatever is connected to the Integrated Intel chip.

On 99.9% of Windows gaming laptops, that means a single ThunderBolt 3 port. I have a very obscure 1440p monitor that uses DVI-D ONLY. This presents a possible large hurdle when trying to run multiple external monitors. I know a single TB3->DVI-D would work- as I'm doing that right now on the MBP. The MBP has multiple TB3 though... so hooking up additional monitors is trivial.

ACTUAL QUESTION:

So I'm wondering... could I use a dock that takes a single TB3 port and turns it into two DP ports. Then use 1) DVI-D to DP adapter, and one HMDI -> DP adapter, to hodgepodge together multiple monitors out of a single TB3 port?

EDIT: Or, if anyone else knows a way this could work- open to suggestions.

Thanks much~

Perhaps I can ask this in a different way-

When it comes to new laptops, I'm having a hard time determining what ports are tied to the Nvidia GPU, and the Integrated Intel GPU. And despite searching on here, and google, I'm finding virtually no one talking about running external monitors.

So perhaps a different question would be, with say, the Intel 630 chip - is that going to be able to run an external monitor (typically) via HDMI? TB3? USB-C 3.2? DP?

Alternatively, how, if at all, can a Hackintosh laptop using intel 6xx series integrated chips run two external monitors?

Perhaps I can ask this in a different way-

When it comes to new laptops, I'm having a hard time determining what ports are tied to the Nvidia GPU, and the Integrated Intel GPU. And despite searching on here, and google, I'm finding virtually no one talking about running external monitors.

So perhaps a different question would be, with say, the Intel 630 chip - is that going to be able to run an external monitor (typically) via HDMI? TB3? USB-C 3.2? DP?

Alternatively, how, if at all, can a Hackintosh laptop using intel 6xx series integrated chips run two external monitors?
you would have to check in windows

right click desktop, go to Display Settings, scroll to Advanced Display Settings

when you plug in a monitor, use the drop down and choose the monitor, and it will tell you under display information if it is using the intel graphics or Nvidia graphics

Thank you for your reply!

So I have determined for the given laptop I'm interested in the following:

Intel 630:
- HDMI 2.1 Port

RTX 3060:
- DP1.4 Port

And then there is also a TB3 port.

So since the HDMI port is routed to the Intel 630, can I assume that an external monitor will work on that when in Hackintosh mode? And in addition to that, will the TB3 port support an external monitor (as it normally would) on hackintosh Laptop?

Cheers

Thank you for your reply!

So I have determined for the given laptop I'm interested in the following:

Intel 630:
- HDMI 2.1 Port

RTX 3060:
- DP1.4 Port

And then there is also a TB3 port.

So since the HDMI port is routed to the Intel 630, can I assume that an external monitor will work on that when in Hackintosh mode? And in addition to that, will the TB3 port support an external monitor (as it normally would) on hackintosh Laptop?

Cheers
hdmi will be fine

DP1.4 won't ever work

not sure about thunderbolt, never used one

Aye, I know the DP1.4 won't ever work (I'm totally fine with that).

Thank you for confirming about the HDMI. That's at least something-

So if I can just determine if TB3 will work... I'll be gold to proceed.

Semi related... how's 4k support... is it able to run 4k @ 60hz yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back