Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3, Coffee Lake 8700K, Apollo Interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking and looking, I'm not getting a clear answer.

Trying to build a reliable Coffee Lake system with thunderbolt 2/3 for my Apollo Twin audio interface. Is this possible?

IF SO... is this the right combo?

Intel 8700k
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev 1.0) mobo
macOS Sierra (not opposed to high sierra)

and will i need something like this?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt 3 AIC#Specification

anything else?

Thanks!

Trying to build a reliable Coffee Lake system with thunderbolt 2/3 for my Apollo Twin audio interface. Is this possible?

Intel 8700k

anything else?

Thanks!

I just built essentially the same rig to work with my Apollo Twin and it works perfectly. I used the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge TB 3 add in card ( which seems to have some serious availability issues, I lucked out and found one at Fry's) instead of the Asrock card you listed above.

You will also require a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, I used https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019FPJDQ2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 as it was tested and recommended by UAD.

I just built essentially the same rig to work with my Apollo Twin and it works perfectly. I used the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge TB 3 add in card ( which seems to have some serious availability issues, I lucked out and found one at Fry's) instead of the Asrock card you listed above.

You will also require a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, I used https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019FPJDQ2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 as it was tested and recommended by UAD.

Man! thank you so much for that! Did you have any hiccups along the way? and would you mind breaking down your list of components :)

I just finished my built. Gigabyte z370, Asus thunderbolt ex and apollo uad.

It works. Was a pain...
The cable from Asus is not exactly like the connector on the gigabyte, had to cut a little bit and then glue
And I had to make everything work in windows before Mac saw the uad..
After that everything is working...
Besides the Bluetooth.. That's making me suffer

Intel 8700k

anything else?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I am interested in this too. I don't see anyway of making a mITX or mATX build though??

Those boards don't seem to have Thunderbolt AIC headers on the boards. I don't think anyone has got the built in Thunderbolt on any z370 board working properly yet - only the AIC Thunderbolt Cards.

Hi guys, I am interested in this too. I don't see anyway of making a mITX or mATX build though??

Those boards don't seem to have Thunderbolt AIC headers on the boards. I don't think anyone has got the built in Thunderbolt on any z370 board working properly yet - only the AIC Thunderbolt Cards.

I did it. My board is Aorus Z370 gaming 5. Thunderbolt works quite well. The apollo twin thunderbolt connects flawless.
The only thing (as i wrote before) is that i did not get the Gigabyte Thunderbolt expansion but the ASUS EX ... and the connectors are different. A little cutting and lots of bravery did the work.

I did it. My board is Aorus Z370 gaming 5. Thunderbolt works quite well. The apollo twin thunderbolt connects flawless.
The only thing (as i wrote before) is that i did not get the Gigabyte Thunderbolt expansion but the ASUS EX ... and the connectors are different. A little cutting and lots of bravery did the work.

I am so relieved to hear you that your setup working since I just completed essentially the same build. I am havimng a bit of an issue right off the bat tho and wonder if maybe you can help? The PC see's the Apollo and my thunferbolt monitor just fine thru the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 1 adapter. The audio coming out of the Apollo is hiccuping and glitchey. I read the basic guidelines regarding getting Thunderbolt and Windows 10 to play nice and diabled all system sounds etc. still no clean audio out yet though. At least my Thunderbolt monitor looks great. Any help would be much appreciated!

I am so relieved to hear you that your setup working since I just completed essentially the same build. I am havimng a bit of an issue right off the bat tho and wonder if maybe you can help? The PC see's the Apollo and my thunferbolt monitor just fine thru the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 1 adapter. The audio coming out of the Apollo is hiccuping and glitchey. I read the basic guidelines regarding getting Thunderbolt and Windows 10 to play nice and diabled all system sounds etc. still no clean audio out yet though. At least my Thunderbolt monitor looks great. Any help would be much appreciated!
mmm its weird... Does the apollo work in any other computer ? can you try ?
I never used the apollo in windows, so i not sure where to find some of the stuff. but, try first changing the buffer size in the DAW you´re using, then try using the apollo in OSX. I know that the thunderbolt driver for apollo in windows is not that stable...
let me know...

Thanks for the info, however as per my previous post I am looking at building an mATX or mITX rather than standard ATX. I may have to wait and see if anybody gets the Thunderbolt working on the ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX motherboard. Although that seems unlikely...

I have the Gigabyte z370xp sli, i7 8700k and the GC Alpine Ridge thunderbolt 3 AIC and I use an apogee element 24 (via thunderbolt with apple thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter) and it works perfectly with logic pro x!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back