1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello everyone, I apologize in advance if this is not the right place to post this, please let me know where I should post if so!

I am planning on building a Hackintosh Mini with a Dan Cases A4-SFX V2. I am looking at 8700K and the ASRock Z370 itx-ac.

The motherboard looks like the only Z370 itx board with thunderbolt 3 on the market right now, which is why I'm thinking about it.

I also recently acquired a MacBook Pro 15 with touchbar which has thunderbolt 3 as well.

Now finally here's what I'm thinking,

Can one connect the Hackintosh to the MacBook Pro via thunderbolt 3 cable and somehow use the MacBook Pro as display, keyboard and trackpad? I have this nice little bag called "Wallye Tactik Duffle" which fits the Dan Cases A4-SFX and a 15-inch laptop perfectly. I've seen people carrying a thunderbolt eGPU along with their MacBook to use beefy NVIDIA GPU on the go, is this something achievable?

Essentially I guess I'm asking for a "remote desktop" to control a hackintosh through a MacBook Pro via a physical thunderbolt connection. Is this possible at all?

Thanks for any suggestion and ideas guys!

Hi! Same motherboard and case here. :)

Sadly, unless the situation has quietly changed in the years since iMac target display was introduced, it looks like only iMacs can be used as target screens, as the Macbooks aren't designed to accept video input.

Maybe what you need instead is an actual eGPU setup with an external screen.

Hi! Same motherboard and case here. :)

Sadly, unless the situation has quietly changed in the years since iMac target display was introduced, it looks like only iMacs can be used as target screens, as the Macbooks aren't designed to accept video input.

Maybe what you need instead is an actual eGPU setup with an external screen.

Hey! I am interested in this because I want to be able to use my Hackintosh on the go without bringing along a screen, also if somehow this works then I can just get the lowest possible MacBook with some slow i5 and not really worry about it since I'll have a 6 core i7 when I really need performance.

I forgot to mention, currently my solution is using a Duet Display app to act as a screen with bluetooth keyboard and trackpad connected to the hackintosh. If video signal can be transmitted through the USB lightning cable with an app and driver installed on the Hackintosh, why can't we develop a desktop app that accepts video output through USB-C or even thunderbolt? Currently the Duet Display app has significant input lag and display lag in general which I assume is due to the lightning cable (USB 2.0) bandwidth limit, so if similar app/driver is developed for the MacBook, there should be much better performance right?

I am just rambling here so please let me know if I need to clarify myself about anything lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back