Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

TL;DR:
I have a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 and Intel i7 6700K, and I was wondering if I can install a PCIe to Thunderbolt 3 card.
Do you have any experience whit this motherboard? In case which card you have?
Other question... Has anybody ever tried to install a UAD-2 Octo PCIe (https://www.uaudio.com/uad-accelerators/uad-2-pcie.html) on a Z170X GA5? Does it work?

Longer version:
I am considering to buy a UAD-2 satellite card, sadly this card is only available (for macOS) with two interfaces: PCIe or Thunderbolt (no USB 3).
I would prefer to buy the Thunderbolt version in order to easily move to another PC/iMac (in the future), but if the Thunderbolt option is not applicable (due to compatibility issue with my motherboard), I would opt for the PCIe format.

Thank you.

You need to check Gigabyte's website to see if this motherboard has a Thunderbolt hearder. If not, then it will not support any of the Thunderbolt PCIe add-on cards.

The funny thing is that seems impossible to find this card (GC-Alpine Ridge) in any reliable shop in Europe! :banghead:
I think I will opt for PCIe format... Hoping that will work with my motherboard!

...And I guess it works (since you're smiling) ;)

Wow! You found it! It was not available some days ago!

Thank you! :thumbup:

I have this same motherboard (Z170x G5) and have the Alpine Ridge rev. 2.0 working in Windows, but have been unable to get it to work in macOS Sierra. Trying to get Apollo Twin MKII Quad Interface to work (Again, it works in windows). Any suggestions? Have tried:
  • Booting into Windows first then restarting to macOS (If rebooting is different than restarting please tell me)
  • Turning on Apollo first then powering on.
  • Changing BIOS to Legacy
  • Turning Security Level to NONE
  • Deleting TB .Kexts (none to delete)
If you need more info, please let me know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back