Threw my 5770 out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
sammcj said:
rabbit74 said:
sammcj said:
What a waste!

Got mine yesterday and it runs mint!

Yes it runs... I found it performed about as well as an 8800. It just isn't useful for video editing or running a 30" monitor.

It runs... but that's it.

r.

What?
Should be a LOT better than an 8800...
Mine pulls 60FPS where my GTS 250 pulled 30 tops.

64Bit or 32?

Did you do anything special to install it? Or just multi-beast with ATY_init.kext?

r.

sammcj said:
rabbit74 said:
sammcj said:
What a waste!

Got mine yesterday and it runs mint!

Yes it runs... I found it performed about as well as an 8800. It just isn't useful for video editing or running a 30" monitor.

It runs... but that's it.

r.

What?
Should be a LOT better than an 8800...
Mine pulls 60FPS where my GTS 250 pulled 30 tops.

Here is an emulated real world test if you feel like indulging me.

Open iTunes and play some music.

Open 4 standard 480p tv shows or movies. Turn them all on (play them muted in Quicktime)

open one 720p movie file (muted).

with the other movies and itunes all running in the background, make the 720p movie full screen in Quicktime.

hit space bar to pause it

now hit the forward arrow key ten or twenty times.

If the paused 720p movie moves forward with each tap of the forward key without hesitation then your card is running much better than mine was.

I threw it out the window because I could not step in this way which my GTX-470 does without issue. I need this kind of performance to do my work. Otherwise a card is useless to me.

rabbit.

What are you currently using right now?
If the GTX 470? I tot it's not yet supported?

I really was curious about your opinion in my previous post. Care to touch on it at all? :D

Vendetta said:
I really was curious about your opinion in my previous post. Care to touch on it at all? :D

Yes still love the GTX-260 above all others.

It is fully supported. The 470 is not fully supported and has vSync issues. I am living with it as a compromise.

I'd go out and buy a gtx 260 but they are totally unavailable in Taiwan. Discontinued.

As to Quadro. Love them. But I spent all my money on my CPU so I don't have another 3,000 bucks for a quadro.

rabbit.

Ah rabbit! remember first seeing your build in the User Builds section and envied the 980x. Me and you seem to have similar needs from our hackintoshes. My man purpose to even building one would be to get AE / Premiere CS5 up and running. And As stated by NVIDIA thats just not possible in 32-BIT. So as far as going 64-BIT route. But a powerful card for my editing work / Windows gaming. How is your 470 Exp. Going as of now? I'm thinking of going all out and getting that or just getting a 5870. I wish i could just get the 5770 and be happy because honestly its all i need as far as the perfomance goes (when its working). But due to 32 bit only :banghead:

GTX-470 is not fully supported. I am using it because I have no other option. both the 260 and 285 are discontinued. I can't get them here.

Best options are GTX260 or GTX-285

r.

Hmm thanks for the reply! well apparently the 260 is on par with the 5770 good to know. But you know what i think the 285 is to rich for my blood. But the 275 is just right from micro center. But let me guess thats not fully supported "vanilla" install like is it.

rabbit74 said:
Vendetta said:

Yes still love the GTX-260 above all others.

It is fully supported. The 470 is not fully supported and has vSync issues. I am living with it as a compromise.

I'd go out and buy a gtx 260 but they are totally unavailable in Taiwan. Discontinued.

As to Quadro. Love them. But I spent all my money on my CPU so I don't have another 3,000 bucks for a quadro.

rabbit.

Are you able to buy one over the internet for shipping to Taiwan? They are still available here in the US - see
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... R&x=9&y=21
or http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... R&x=9&y=21
or do you have any relatives or friends over here that can get one for you and ship it to you? Or would government import customs stop it?

edit -- Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 60&x=0&y=0

and Taiwan is on the list of places they will ship: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/sh ... PN4BTA3CZV

Thanks.

Taiwan is often listed as a country that is shipped to. But no one actually ships here. I sometimes buy stuff on Amazon and ship it to my Dad's place in Seattle but the additional cost of that process is prohibitive. And everything is made here so I have general issue buying parts that have traveled the entire world in a shipping container. haha.

Also looking for a more long term solution to the problem. Graphics cards only last so long, So want to find something else that works as well as the 260 for a similar price.

Thanks for posting your research. Appreciated.

rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back