Contribute
Register

Thoughts about disabling speedstep for DAW audio production ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
I7-2600
Graphics
Nvidia GT 210
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I recenty read an article on Presonus about optimizing cpu efficiency in DAW programs like Cubase and Studio One.
It stated that speedstep should be turned off for best results cause when speedstep is enabled, performance may suffer cause off individual cores have to wait for each other when a core is switched to another p state.

Long story short: are there audio producers that have this knowledge and have speedstep disabled ?

I am about to do my first step in overclocking and i think this is an important consideration: disabling speedstep and EIST or not.

Hello,

Yes, disabling those options will give a more stable performance,meaning you will reduce the throttling of the CPU. i have seen this work many times in Windows, and also in Logic. My personal experience though.

Many thx for your reply !

I guess when disabling speedster / EIST/ p/c states and over clocking to about 4.2 ghz i need a very good cooler.
Honestly, i don't want a liquid cooling system, also cause i read that you have very good airflow cool systems that will do the job.
Can you maybe recommend a very good air cool system, so i can over clock ?

At the moment i have a Intel® Thermal Solution XTS100H.
I really don't know if this one is good enough for serious over clocking.
It was recommended by my HT builder.
It makes a lot of noise imho, not very happy with that.

Hey there,

glad 2 be of some help, nice cooler by the way, 4.2 ghz? What CPU do u have, if its an I3/5/7 series, maybe somone more experienced person could help perhaps? I'm on 775 socket quad core.

I wish u good overclockin'!

I found my box to be pretty unstable in MacOs with Speedstep on.

Actually I just added a bit of extra VCore (its at 1.38 I think) and that seems to have settled it down now. Geek = 16690. Im heading into diminishing returns now - it seems like going past this to a stable 4.8 is generating a bit of heat and not giving me significant improvements to performance.

OP, I was the same about liquid cooling as I had a pretty good air cooler but wow the Corsair H100 is stupid good for the money and so easy to fit. Saw a radical improvement in my temperatures and now Im heading into summer, thats a big deal.

After disabling Power management in BIOS, do you also have to disable it in Clover / Chameleon??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back