Contribute
Register

Thought you guys might appreciate my 9900k 5.3, 5.2 AVX overclock success

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting the VII and liquid cooling it soon, as I'm liquid cooling my 9900k next week anyway. Hopefully won't run into the same z390 issues.

I believe with your board u could go higher than 5.2 btw, the VRM setup is extremely better than the XI hero board i have. Especially being able to achieve 5.2 at 1.35 vcore. I require 1.39 vcore at 7LLC (max 8 on my board) for a stable 5.2 all core, and 1.40 for 6 core 5.3/all core 5.2 0 AVX. could you try 5.3 at 1.4-1.415 vcore and let me know the results. This will let me know if it's my vrms or not.

In my experience, Z390 is much more of a pain to Hackintosh. Again, I'd happily sacrifice the improved VRM to go back to Z370 if my Radeon VII didn't have the wake issue.

I already went back to 5GHz because I want everything to run cooler since my system is turned on 24/7. I only tried 5.2GHz to see if it were possible and didn't want to push it to such extremes as 5.3GHz.

I always run with no AVX offset. When I tried setting an offset in the past, I found that macOS would only run the CPU at (overclock speed - AVX offset) and never get to the overclock speed. For example, if I set 5.1GHz with -1 AVX offset, macOS would only ever run the CPU at 5GHz and never 5.1GHz.

In my experience, Z390 is much more of a pain to Hackintosh. Again, I'd happily sacrifice the improved VRM to go back to Z370 if my Radeon VII didn't have the wake issue.

I already went back to 5GHz because I want everything to run cooler since my system is turned on 24/7. I only tried 5.2GHz to see if it were possible and didn't want to push it to such extremes as 5.3GHz.

I always run with no AVX offset. When I tried setting an offset in the past, I found that macOS would only run the CPU at (overclock speed - AVX offset) and never get to the overclock speed. For example, if I set 5.1GHz with -1 AVX offset, macOS would only ever run the CPU at 5GHz and never 5.1GHz.

Yea I don't run with offset for that same reason. You might consider upgrading your cooler to a h110i pro ( I don't recommend the h150i because it actually performs worse than the h110i pro in terms of cooling potential from my personal testing) or kraken nzxt X62 with thermal grizzly liquid metal or kryonaut. you'll easily see a drop in 15-20c.

Yea I don't run with offset for that same reason. You might consider upgrading your cooler to a h110i pro ( I don't recommend the h150i because it actually performs worse than the h110i pro in terms of cooling potential from my personal testing) or kraken nzxt X62 with thermal grizzly liquid metal or kryonaut. you'll easily see a drop in 15-20c.

I'm old fashioned. Lol. I want liquids as far away from my computer as possible. The Noctua has served me extremely well.

Plus, my case is already packed to the gils and there's really no room for a water cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back