Graphics
GeForce
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Looks like Mavericks will be supporting nVidia Optimus to some capacity!
Look at the description for the GPU in the new Macbook pro:
Image%202013-10-22%20at%208.41.14%20PM.png

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching.

Who knows how many cards it will work with, but I bet we can get 750M cards to actually work on hackintosh laptops now, instead of solely relying on integrated graphics. With the 10.8.5 update we also have Haswell drivers as well, which will carry into Mavericks too.

Automatic graphics switching has been on the MacBookPro and OSX for a while. It is nothing new. The problem is that the tech used on PCs is not compatible with Apple's tech.

Automatic graphics switching has been on the MacBookPro and OSX for a while. It is nothing new. The problem is that the tech used on PCs is not compatible with Apple's tech.

Really? I've never noticed it advertised before. And people always say that OS X can't have 2 GPUs at once for laptops, which is why you need to disable one in order for them to work. I guess they do have it, but it's just not compatible with non-apple GPUs? If that's really true, I guess you can close this thread.

Really? I've never noticed it advertised before. And people always say that OS X can't have 2 GPUs at once for laptops, which is why you need to disable one in order for them to work. I guess they do have it, but it's just not compatible with non-apple GPUs? If that's really true, I guess you can close this thread.

Yes, been there forever (well, forever might be an exaggeration, but...).

It is the switching tech which is 1) done differently with Apple, 2) not documented by Apple at the driver level, and 3) therefore not compatible with PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back