Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> “This copy of the Install macOS Mojave.app application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 PRO
CPU
i3-2130
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
“This copy of the Install macOS Mojave.app application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS.”

Screenshot 2019-10-25 at 14.25.21.png

into Terminal set the date as March 03 2019 at 00:00

date 030300002019

Last edited:
“This copy of the Install macOS Mojave.app application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS.”

View attachment 432547

into Terminal set the date as March 03 2019 at 00:00

date 030300002019

This is because the security certificate embedded in the installer expired on October 24 2019, as described here :

Changing the system date to a date before October 24 will allow the installer to work. But a better way, if possible, is to redownload a fresh copy of the MacOS Mojave installer which has an updated security certificate.

I tried this solution and does not work, i even tried to put the date in bios setup, same error.

But on my side is happen something strage, when i click continue button after selecting "install macOS" the button is greyed out but nothing happen, i can use mouse to select everything from "macOS Utilities" but the continue button remains greyed-out, if i chose anything from the Utilities menu and close, for example terminal, after i close the terminal the continue button is back to normal.

If i chose continue again to install macOS it give me the above error.

Is there anything i can do?

Well, i downloaded the latest version of Mojave installer "14.6.06" from Apple's app-store and this fixed the issue.

This is because the security certificate embedded in the installer expired on October 24 2019, as described here :

Changing the system date to a date before October 24 will allow the installer to work. But a better way, if possible, is to redownload a fresh copy of the MacOS Mojave installer which has an updated security certificate.
I have come across this problem even when installing genuine Macs with a version of macOS. There are 2 steps I take, firstly disconnect the Ethernet and/or WiFi, then do a Get Info on the version of Install macOS xxx and look at the Modified Date. Set the System Date to that date. You can do that in BIOS before you run the installer, or via terminal in the form [mm][dd]HH]MM[cc][yy] when you get the error message.

If you get the "This copy of the Install macOS Mojave application is damaged and can’t be used to install macOS" error message as I did, then in Tools select Terminal and in Terminal firstly enter date and you will get the current time and date looking like this: Sat 2 Nov 2019 12:48:47 AEDT. To change it to 14 June 2019 at 12:24, the date I downloaded my last version of Mojave, you would enter: date 061212232019, then return to the Installer and it should work.

Thanks for the fix. Works well.
Make sure you pull out your network cable ;-)

Thanks for the fix. Works well.
Glad it worked for you. Yes those Ethernet cables must never be forgotten :thumbup:.

I had problems launching the installer even after I downloaded the newer one without the expired certificate.I found two ways to get the installer to launch:

(1) Rebooting. Apparently the certificate check will continue to fail even after downloading the correct installer if it failed since the last reboot.

(2) By removing InstallInfo.plist from the package – a more drastic solution (which I found before learning about rebooting), but may work if rebooting doesn't work. May also work if for some reason you can't download the newer installer.

I have come across this problem even when installing genuine Macs with a version of macOS. There are 2 steps I take, firstly disconnect the Ethernet and/or WiFi, then do a Get Info on the version of Install macOS xxx and look at the Modified Date. Set the System Date to that date. You can do that in BIOS before you run the installer, or via terminal in the form [mm][dd]HH]MM[cc][yy] when you get the error message.

If you get the "This copy of the Install macOS Mojave application is damaged and can’t be used to install macOS" error message as I did, then in Tools select Terminal and in Terminal firstly enter date and you will get the current time and date looking like this: Sat 2 Nov 2019 12:48:47 AEDT. To change it to 14 June 2019 at 12:24, the date I downloaded my last version of Mojave, you would enter: date 061212232019, then return to the Installer and it should work.
Cool, This is work.
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back