Contribute
Register

[solved] Thinkpad X230 + Sierra, HD4000 graphics broken all of a sudden (flickering again),...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo Thinkpad X230
CPU
Intel i7-3520M
Graphics
Intel HD4000
Before using the correct Clover config with patched ACPI, my Intel HD 4000 graphics were flickering a lot, and Chrome was unusable because it flickered too much -- the menu bar was also white instead of transparent in Sierra. This was easily fixed by following through the correct Clover config and patched DSDT, as discussed in many guides and forum posts here.

Now, this is happening again. I'm not sure why? I double-checked my config, and I dumped my original ACPI files and repatched my DSDT like in Bizzaro's X230 repository:
"Apply DSDT patches for iGPU, brightness HD4000 + Low resolution"

I can confirm that all of my other DSDT patches are being applied. This morning, the first reboot after redoing my DSDT, the graphics worked again with no flickering (Chrome was usable), and my menu bar was transparent again.

Then subsequent reboots (?!) are flickering again with the white menu bar. Maybe it is a dice roll/race condition? I am completely stumped here.

All along, "About This Mac" has been and is still showing the proper value of 1536 MB for graphics memory, and from what I understand, the flickering was caused by the GPU memory being unrecognized and too small to hold all of the buffers needed.

So this is weird. Clover config seems good, ACPI is patched, etc. and I'm following the standard Hackintosh guides.

What should I look at next to diagnose this issue? Happy to help by pasting output of commands and log files, if necessary.

Before using the correct Clover config with patched ACPI, my Intel HD 4000 graphics were flickering a lot, and Chrome was unusable because it flickered too much -- the menu bar was also white instead of transparent in Sierra. This was easily fixed by following through the correct Clover config and patched DSDT, as discussed in many guides and forum posts here.

Now, this is happening again. I'm not sure why? I double-checked my config, and I dumped my original ACPI files and repatched my DSDT like in Bizzaro's X230 repository:
"Apply DSDT patches for iGPU, brightness HD4000 + Low resolution"

I can confirm that all of my other DSDT patches are being applied. This morning, the first reboot after redoing my DSDT, the graphics worked again with no flickering (Chrome was usable), and my menu bar was transparent again.

Then subsequent reboots (?!) are flickering again with the white menu bar. Maybe it is a dice roll/race condition? I am completely stumped here.

All along, "About This Mac" has been and is still showing the proper value of 1536 MB for graphics memory, and from what I understand, the flickering was caused by the GPU memory being unrecognized and too small to hold all of the buffers needed.

So this is weird. Clover config seems good, ACPI is patched, etc. and I'm following the standard Hackintosh guides.

What should I look at next to diagnose this issue? Happy to help by pasting output of commands and log files, if necessary.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Video demonstration of the problem (symptoms look very much like the low graphics memory problem that the Lenovo Thinkpad P50 has)

Last edited:
As you've requested:

The Intel MEI device is missing from the PCI bus. It is a BIOS flash/hardware problem. OS X/macOS requires the Intel MEI.

Big mistake...
macOS/OS X requires the MEI.

To be clear, everything else is working fine on my system except the graphics (and I've even seen the graphics work a few times without the MEI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back