Contribute
Register

Thinkpad X1 Carbon (3rd Gen) - Could use some hints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a guide right now, won't have it done until tomorrow. Did you get past your DVMT issue?

DVMT problem, it does not overcome.
That it might be able modify the BIOS, we examined.
for example, to ask the https://www.bios-mods.com/.

In your you are creating guide, Maybe better to describe the "One some models can not be used."

Looks extremely sketchy to me. Regardless, if you figure it out I was able to get a guide up, you can find it here. That topic has all of the required files if you figure out the DVMT issue.

DVMT Pre-Allocated Setting is I have a to Advanced mode...

I've read the guide. You look amazing!
For some reason, I battery information can not be obtained, the sound is now out!
After, and DSDT patch, after the SSDT Patch, start-up is now faster.

After that, I just graphics (Intel HD 5500)

I do not know why, but recognizes only Intel HD 5500 is correctly once,
it was movement QE / CI together.
Setting, Will is correct ....
it may not be fixed in more than 32MB the DVMT, it seems to be a problem.

BIOS hack, I was told difficult! And.

Thinkpad Carbon X1 (3rd Gen)
My X1 Carbon Specs:
CPU: Intel Core I7-5600U
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500 @ 1920x1080
Broadwell, CPUZ revealed no chipset id.
Lenovo Reference Doc: Link

Intro
First off, I am happy to announce that this device is compatible with the latest 10.10.3 Yosemite update. I am hoping to use this thread for support and eventually take everything I learn here and turn it into a guide.

Initial Thanks & Credit
Before I go any further, I want to say thanks to Rehabman for his patience and working with me, AustereJ. and Lisai9093 for their work on the HD5500 graphics compatibility and nguyenmac who also helped a bit along the way. I used these two threads a lot in figuring out how to get everything running. (Thread 1 | Thread 2) I studied those threads for hours and I still don't understand most of it.

Success
After several days of headbanging I eventually reached a Yosemite installer window and from there is was smooth sailing. I now have a quick - responsive desktop and it appears to be pretty stable (running for several hours no issues.)

Eye Candy
It looks great!
View attachment 134534

And it is reporting everything correctly too, for the most part.
View attachment 134535

So here's what works

• HD5500 Graphics + Qe/Ci
  • HDMI Output
  • Trackpad
  • Bluetooth
  • Webcam
  • Power Status (04/19/2015 - DSDT Battery Patch for the Lenovo X220 did the trick along with the ACPIBatteryManager.kext from the battery status guide.)
  • Power Management (Modified SSDTPrgen + SMBIOS MBP 11,2 - Used SSDTPrgen & SMBIOS section of config.plist from here | For the SSDTPRGen program I had to add my processor into the Broadwell config file. | I tested this with MSRDumper, if multiple p states means that its working then its working :D)
  • Brightness Controls (Using ACPIBacklight.kext + the Haswell backlight patch the Brightness slider works. Keyboard edits require the DSDT patch in the laptop brightness guide. For my DSDT the device was KBD instead of \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K and my button ids were _Q15 for brightness down and _Q14 for brightness up.)
  • USB3 (Worked after removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext - Thanks Rehabman!)
  • Waking up (Had to disable the pre-desktop bios feature for the fingerprint scanner and waking from sleep started to work.)
  • Trackpoint + Buttons :headbang:(Using the public VoodooPS2Controller the trackpoint was jumping/skipping all over the place and all of the trackpoint buttons were handled like right clicks.) - I made a custom VoodeoPS2Controller.kext for the X1 Carbon that resolves those issues. (Will post it when I create the guide.)
  • Ethernet - Works great with IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.0.0d2

What partially works
  • Audio (ALC3232) - Works via VoodooHDA right now. Will try Mirone's patches once InsanelyMac has their attachments working again. (No HDMI + No Auto Jack Detection)

What doesn't work
  • Wifi - Intel card means that it will never work. Ordered a Nano-USB Wifi card.
  • Mini Display Port - Whenever I plug in my MiniDp cable the laptop freezes and I have to hard restart it.

I have a lot of work to do and a lot to learn. I am going to start knocking things off this list one by one but it will take awhile. I will update this thread as I make progress.

Questions:

• None

Current State
I am currently using the following kexts:
FakeSMC.kext (from the stickied laptop guide)
VoodooPS2controller.kext (from the stickied laptop guide)
ACPIBatteryManager.kext (from the laptop battery status guide)
ACPIBacklight.kext (from the laptop backlight control guide)

I am attaching my current ioreg and config.plist for reference in case anyone who may want to help needs them or someone else wants to try Yosemite on the X1Carbon.

My laptop is thinkpad w550s.
I met some problem when I try to increase the DVMT pre-allocated memory. I follow the guide but failed. Maybe I got a wrong way to get my laptop's BIOS. Could you tell me where you find your BIOS?

When your laptop boots hold F1 and it should take you into the BIOS. On some Thinkpads you have to hit Enter upon boot to get to a menu that will take you into the BIOS and on some older Thinkpads they had a blue ThinkVantage button that would let you get to them upon boot.

If you are actually asking about how to mod them then I don't have that answer someone else might.

@Rehabman if you are still monitoring this, I am finding that sleep drain on my laptop is almost like it is still on. I left it "sleeping" for like an hour and it lost 10% of its battery. Any thoughts? Thanks!

@Rehabman if you are still monitoring this, I am finding that sleep drain on my laptop is almost like it is still on. I left it "sleeping" for like an hour and it lost 10% of its battery. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sounds like laptop is not entering sleep...

When your laptop boots hold F1 and it should take you into the BIOS. On some Thinkpads you have to hit Enter upon boot to get to a menu that will take you into the BIOS and on some older Thinkpads they had a blue ThinkVantage button that would let you get to them upon boot.
!

Sorry. I mean, we can find the variable for DVMT in BIOS file, where did you get your BIOS file?

I made a bit progress. Yes, I used your config.plist and I installed OS X last night. Then without any work, just used your "Post Install Clover Edits", the Graphic Intel HD 5500 worked.

Yes. I use past tense. Because after about an hour, the GPU started to freeze, and it froze more frequent, finally, when I got into the desktop, it froze, and I have to reinstall it later.

I'll keep on finding another way to modify the DVMT pre-allocated memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back