Contribute
Register

The Ultimate Low Cost Big Sur Hackintosh - Core i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF

USB Wifi for your 3020 SFF
This is now an option for Big Sur thanks to Chris1111. If you don't want to spend a lot and use up one of your PCIe slots for Wifi, this is an alternative. Fenvi makes and sells this Realtek based USB Wifi AC adapter.

https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-f-ac1200u-usb-3-0/p/0XM-00JK-000A2

Plug it into a rear panel USB 3.0 port for the best speeds.

See this post in Deals of the Day for more info:

Having a couple of minor problems:
- the computer can't be woken from sleep via the Apple keyboard or mouse, only the power switch on the machine
- USB ports on the back seem to all be reported as USB 3.0, it should only be the center pair
I may try to generate a new config to sort this out.

I may try to generate a new config to sort this out.
I've updated the EFI attached above in post 3. It's got a few minor, some major improvements to it from the first one. Copy your existing serials, ROM and SMUUID to the new one and then replace the old one on the EFI partition. The USBports kext is working fine for me on my 3020 SFF. I get full USB 3 speeds on the two back ports. All others are designated as USB 2.

Attached at the end of post #3

For the sleep/wake to work properly, Legacy Option Roms must be enabled.

Last edited:
I’ll give it a try, thanks.

Changes to the 3020 EFI folder 9/7/21
I've made some significant changes to the EFI to speed up boot times, improve USB function and the sensors function, for things like monitoring temps and controlling fan speeds. If you still have the old version posted previously, download this one and enter your SMUUID, System, Board Serials and ROM to the config.plist with plist edit pro or Proper Tree, whichever you prefer. Replace the old one after you've made all these changes to the .plist. You can also test it out on your USB installer first to see how well it works for you. No other changes to the .plist are needed, it's all been done already.

The EFI zip file at the end of post #3 has been updated and you can also find it attached below.

The Dell Sensors kext is more specific for the 3020 than the generic SMC Super IO kext.

New Kexts.jpg

Custom SSDTs.jpg

These are in the ACPI folder. If you see these two SSDTs and the new Dell Sensors kext in your current OC EFI folder, you don't need to do anything, you've already got this. It's been posted at the end of #3 for about a week already.

Attachments

• OC EFI 3020 0.7.1.zip
    9.4 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:
looked through and had found those changes, so I went ahead and used it, as mine was the earlier version. Wake from sleep is now functioning properly. System Report still shows devices as connected to the USB3.0 Hub, even though they are connected to the 2.0 rear ports. Probably not a big deal, but reporting it anyway in case some else runs into a related problem. Thanks @trs96 !

looked through and had found those changes, so I went ahead and used it
How is your wife liking the 3020 SFF and Big Sur ? Happy with it or not quite sure yet ?

System Report still shows devices as connected to the USB3.0 Hub
This is expected as we've completely disabled the EHC controller which real Macs don't have. All the ports still work normally. The 2 USB 3 ports operate at 5Gb/s speeds. Sleep wake works, all is good. The primary goal is stability.

By the time the mid 2015 iMac 15,1 came out, Macs only had USB 3 ports and no USB 2 only ports so the system report for USB looks like it should on a real 2015 iMac. Here's a picture of the back panel I/O showing the 4 USB 3 ports.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.21.43 PM.png

When you open Hackintool and click the USB tab you can see all the USB 2/3 are assigned correctly.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.11.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Ah, that makes more sense. It didn't seem to cause issues, only a reporting thing, which can drive a perfectionist crazy. All good.

How is your wife liking the 3020 SFF and Big Sur ? Happy with it or not quite sure yet ?
Oh my she loves it, although I installed Catalina. Was just thinking about that earlier. It was a big step forward from El Capitan on the old Mac Mini Core2Duo that she was using. Side note: I wiped the C2Duo and installed MXLinux, it runs perfectly, great for web browsing, email, etc, seems quick compared to El Cap on the same hardware.

Back