Contribute
Register

The Ultimate Low Cost Big Sur Hackintosh - Core i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF

Thanks! :)
Nothing to do with the above: I've got a very small visual glitch (1/10s) just before arriving at the login window (when still showing the white apple) — I suppose it's when the IGPU driver is activated.
Looks like the image is interlaced badly, if you see what I mean.
I had the same on my DELL laptop and fixed it in Clover with a kext patch.
Have you got any idea if it's fixable in OC? or is it just an inevitable side effect of the DP>VGA adapter?

I've got a very small visual glitch (1/10s) just before arriving at the login window (when still showing the white apple) — I suppose it's when the IGPU driver is activated.
Don't know if there's any fix via OC. It's most likely a small reminder you're using a hackintosh. ;)

Hi all, so I am currently running into an issue, I followed the posted guide for the 3020 and changed all the correct bios settings. I am currently running into an issue here. This problem appears when booting. I've made the installer using gibmacOS and mounted my EFI using mountEFI and using the EFI from this post and inserting my MAC address. Any help would be appreciated I can post my EFI if needed.

I've made the installer using gibmacOS and mounted my EFI using mountEFI and using the EFI from this post
No need to post the EFI if you are using the one I included as a zip file.

The problem is that you can't boot from the USB ? Did you try re-making it ? You should have the USB set as first in the BIOS boot order so that it picks that up first. Also disable the PXE booting (via ethernet) you don't need that now.

Try another flash drive ? Some times certain brands won't work. I have used PNY with success though.
Which USB drive (size) are you using ?

Just to give you fair warning. The Toshiba laptop drive you have connected is highly prone to failure. How do I know ? I've got boxes full of those failed toshiba 2.5" drives (painfully slow too) that I've removed from laptops and replaced with a new Sata SSD. These MX500s are the best value right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786QNS9B/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Screen_Shot_20.jpg

Last edited:
No need to post the EFI if you are using the one I included as a zip file.

The problem is that you can't boot from the USB ? Did you try re-making it ? You should have the USB set as first in the BIOS boot order so that it picks that up first. Also disable the PXE booting (via ethernet) you don't need that now.

Try another flash drive ? Some times certain brands won't work. I have used PNY with success though.
Which USB drive (size) are you using ?

Just to give you fair warning. The Toshiba laptop drive you have connected is highly prone to failure. How do I know ? I've got boxes full of those failed toshiba 2.5" drives (painfully slow too) that I've removed from laptops and replaced with a new Sata SSD. These MX500s are the best value right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0786QNS9B/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

View attachment 531924
So, the Toshiba drive is there just as a windows drive I won't be using it for a Mac (funny you mention failure the drive on CDI shows it in caution state).

It's a 16GB PNY 2.0 drive - https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/360219/PNY-USB-20-Flash-Drive-16GB/fromLocalBrowse=false

I'll stop by office Depot on my way home and pick up a SanDisk drive. I've tried to remake this one 3 times 1. As big sur and then Catalina and still nothing happens and I'll give changing the boot order a try as well to see. I've always had success manual selecting things in the one time boot menu.

So, if it doesn't work after a new drive and changing the boot orders then what's the next thing to try ?

the Toshiba drive is there just as a windows drive I won't be using it for a Mac
The Windows drive should be completely disconnected when you are installing macOS. Unplug it's sata cable once shut down. Then make the BIOS changes suggested and try again.

The Windows drive should be completely disconnected when you are installing macOS. Unplug it's sata cable once shut down. Then make the BIOS changes suggested and try again.
Alright, I'll get a new flash drive after work here and see what I can do when I get home. I'll report back here if it was an success.

Man, I'm not sure what's going on here at all. Same thing happened even on the new flash drive. Currently, my MacBook pro is running Version 10.13.6 of High Sierra if that helps in anyway.

I've made the installer using gibmacOS and mounted my EFI using mountEFI
When you used Disk Utility to format the flash drive, did you choose macOS Extended Journaled ?
Don't use APFS, it must be GUID partition map and macOS Extended Journaled, not APFS.

If you did this correctly there is some other part of the guide you missed. We know for certain the EFI works with the 3020 SFF. It's 100% tested and working. Verified by multiple people that have installed Big Sur and other macOS versions.

What kind of monitor are your using ? What kind of cable connects to it ?

Go back over each step of the guide and make sure it was implemented. Sometimes, even if you only skipped replacing the CMOS CR2032 battery it can lead to issues like this.

Screen Shot 23.jpg

This profile should have your 3020 SFF, CPU and Graphics in it. Is this referring to your 3020 by Dell or a different build ? If you have a 710 installed, try removing it and use just the HD4600 graphics. Do not use the VGA port.

Last edited:
When you used Disk Utility to format the flash drive, did you choose macOS Extended Journaled ?
Don't use APFS, it must be GUID partition map and macOS Extended Journaled, not APFS.

If you did this correctly there is some other part of the guide you missed. We know for certain the EFI works with the 3020 SFF. It's 100% tested and working. Verified by multiple people that have installed Big Sur and other macOS versions.

What kind of monitor are your using ? What kind of cable connects to it ?

Go back over each step of the guide and make sure it was implemented. Sometimes, even if you only skipped replacing the CMOS CR2032 battery it can lead to issues like this.

View attachment 532025

This profile should have your 3020 SFF, CPU and Graphics in it. Is this referring to your 3020 by Dell or a different build ? If you have a 710 installed, try removing it and use just the HD4600 graphics. Do not use the VGA port.
I didn't know exactly what to put in my profile so I just played it safe. It's an optiplex 3020 SFF.

I've tried it on two different monitors the first one I'm using I have a displayport to HDMI converter on it. The second display I'm using has a displayport connection no adapter needed.

Both times I double checked that the disk was formatted in the right partition. I changed the batteries right before I changed the hidden bios settings.

Back