Contribute
Register

The Ultimate Low Cost Big Sur Hackintosh - Core i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF

It was a big step forward from El Capitan on the old Mac Mini Core2Duo that she was using.
My old G4 Mac mini has been on the shelf for about 9 years now. Can't really sell it so I keep it around for sentimental value. Haven't found a new purpose for it but it still runs and looks good. It was way underpowered when I bought it and could only be upgraded to 1GB of ram max. Mostly bought it just to use OS X Tiger, that was worth the purchase price back then.

awesome build,i think im going to order that monitor.

The 11.6 update had zero issues. Super easy.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 5.23.43 PM.png

Last edited:
Updated to the latest Catalina Security Update via Software Update. No problems, 2 reboots, all is well....
but I got a little concerned when I saw this:
update weirdness - 1.jpeg

For some odd reason the language changed for these status updates, but only on these status messages, it was fine after finishing.

For some odd reason the language changed for these status updates, but only on these status messages, it was fine after finishing.
No, you haven't been hacked. The default language is set to Russian as many of the Acidanthera devs live there and speak that language.

Wonder why this only happened on the 3020, not the 9020, both running the same version of OC.

Wonder why this only happened on the 3020, not the 9020, both running the same version of OC.
Might have something to do with using Catalina on the 3020 and Big Sur on the 9020. Not really sure what would cause it.

Might have something to do with using Catalina on the 3020 and Big Sur on the 9020. Not really sure what would cause it.
ah, but they're both running the same version of Catalina. I'll have to dig into both EFI folders and see if there were any differences.

Why go back to Catalina on your 9020 ?
I have an audio soundcard with SPDIF output I need for my DAC, was having some issue getting it recognized. Works fine in Catalina. Might try Big Sur again, didn't try very hard to solve the issue.

Back