Contribute
Register

The Ultimate Low Cost Big Sur Hackintosh - Core i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF

Eventually banks will cut off the use of outdated versions of Chrome, Firefox and Safari. With Mojave installed she'll get the latest version of FireFox that meets their security requirements. It's also good to get the last versions of Mojave security patches too. I've seen much more Mac focused malware affecting people the last few years.
Yes, I was waiting myself for the last Mojave security update to upgrade my own Z68 (currently running El Capitan)... I'm wondering if the July Security Update 2021-005 for Mojave was actually the last or if there'll be a 006, what do you think?

I'm wondering if the July Security Update 2021-005 for Mojave was actually the last or if there'll be a 006, what do you think?
Only Catalina and newer versions got the last one so there likely won't be more.

I'm in the course of updating to OC 0.7.4 and I notice that you have an additional key compared to Sample.plist: PlatformInfo>Memory
Is it really needed? Looks like the selected type is DDR4, when it's supposed to be DDR3, if I'm not mistaking — hence my doubt. ;)

EDIT: moreover, ocvalidate finds 8 "Missing keys" in that key (AssetTag, BankLocator, DeviceLocator, Manufacturer, PartNumber, SerialNumber, Size and Speed). Anyway it boots ok without adding those keys.
EDIT2: actually, everything seems to work the same without the Memory key...

Last edited:
I'm in the course of updating to OC 0.7.4 and I notice that you have an additional key compared to Sample.plist:
I've not even looked at 0.7.4 yet. I'm staying with 0.7.1 as long as I'm on Big Sur. 0.7.4 isn't really necessary unless you plan on upgrading to Monterey. If you are going to keep Mojave longer term, why 0.7.4 ? 0.7.1 should do everything you need for Mojave.

Last edited:
I've not even looked at 0.7.4 yet. I'm staying with 0.7.1 as long as I'm on Big Sur. 0.7.4 isn't really necessary unless you plan on upgrading to Monterey. If you are going to keep Mojave longer term, why 0.7.4 ? 0.7.1 should do everything you need for Mojave.
I've always updated my bootloaders when an update was available, I'm doing so every month with OC... but I understand your choice. :) (and I'll probably upgrade to Monterey in 3 years :mrgreen: )

Anyway, even in 0.7.1 the PlatformInfo>Memory key is optional, so is it doing anything? And why DDR4 (26) instead of DDR3?

even in 0.7.1 the PlatformInfo>Memory key is optional, so is it doing anything? And why DDR4 (26) instead of DDR3?
TBH I don't remember how or why that key got there. I write and support so many guides that they sometimes get elements of different ones mixed together. I would just delete "Memory" altogether as it is as you say optional. Nice to know that at least one of my readers takes a close look at the provided EFI rather than just copy/pasting it without a second thought.

Last edited:
Good News for Windows 11 Fans !
I've tried installing Windows 11 on my 3020 SFF and it is possible. I won't be dual booting it with Big Sur as it will likely create problems for the macOS installation. I never dual boot with Windows on any hackintosh I own.

Let's say that in 3-4 years from now you are tired of macOS, Big Sur is out of support and you want to keep your 3020/7020/9020 productive. Windows 11 should still be an option. Whether you can get security updates for it then remains to be seen. I have written a short guide that you can follow to make this possible for your 3020, 7020 or 9020 Optiplex. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-install-windows-11-on-unsupported-hardware.316257/

I won't be offering support for a Win11 Big Sur dual boot. If you want to keep 11 on a separate drive and only connect it when your macOS SSD is disconnected, that is one way to avoid dual boot problems. If you need help post in the Multi-Booting Forum. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

Under the Security tab in the BIOS, you'll want to enable TPM (Trusted Platform Module) support. These have TPM 1.2 and not 2.0. It appears that Microsoft deems 1.2 version to meet their requirements.

For anyone interested in the Dell step by step guide for TPM activation see:

Activating the Trusted Platform Module Security Feature | Dell US

I don't think that the step "Install the TPM Software and Driver" or running the "Wizard" is necessary to get Windows 11 installed.

Here's a few screenshots:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
Funny: just this morning I've attempted dual boot with Windows 8.1 (that came with it) + Mojave.
I did it by guesswork, just adding the folders BOOT and OC to the existing EFI and it worked without an itch.
I'll keep your thread's link, just in case. :thumbup:

I've attempted dual boot with Windows 8.1
8.1 and 10 don't have to meet all the new requirements that 11 does. You can leave Legacy Option ROMs enabled and secure boot disabled with no issues. Just make sure to disconnect the macOS Mojave drive when you download and install any updates to 8.1. Dual booting Mojave and 8.1 on the same drive will create problems eventually. If you need help, then ask GoingBald in the multibooting forums.

Back