Contribute
Register

The Ultimate Low Cost Big Sur Hackintosh - Core i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF

What puzzles me is that it works in El Capitan
You could even install Mojave clean and then try the DP to VGA adapter you have now. There may have been changes made to your Mojave installation that are affecting integrated graphics. Was it a Clover install instead of OC ?

You could even install Mojave clean and then try the DP to VGA adapter you have now. There may have been changes made to your Mojave installation that are affecting integrated graphics. Was it a Clover install instead of OC ?
It probably was initially Clover but I've cleaned it up for OC following Dortania's rules, and it boots fine on my Z68.

Ah, I forgot to mention something important: Mojave boots in Safe mode with graphics ok! So that sounds definitely like an issue with some extension in S/L/E (L/E is clean).
I'll check tomorrow. Thanks again! :)

Is it OK to use software update? it's wanting to go to 11.6 and I do have a time machine backup in case of it going belly up.

Hi! I haven't found what was wrong with that disk image, but you were damn right: reinstalling the proper way was the fastest solution... :mrgreen: :oops:
Usually I save my disk images as soon as I get the OS running but evidently it was not the case or something went wrong.
I guess that with recent OSes I won't even be able to make disk images of the MacOS system any more.
Thanks one more time for your precious advices! ;)

EDIT: I've finally found out what was wrong! I made the disk image after applying a patch for old NVidia GCs and I didn't remember it had also changed a few frameworks (CoreDisplay, GPUSupport, OpenGL and SkyLight), not only the NVidia kexts... :oops:

Last edited:
Usually I save my disk images as soon as I get the OS running but evidently it was not the case or something went wrong.
I guess that with recent OSes I won't even be able to make disk images of the MacOS system any more.
Thanks one more time for your precious advices!
How will you be using your new 3020 SFF ? Is it going to be used for audio recording ?
Also, do you like the build quality of these ? I think it is exceptional for the small price paid.
You can't build a mini-itx system with new components for such a low price as these sell for.

Your guide decided me to buy a 3020 SFF that I've just found on eBay for 80€. :thumbup:
It's meant to replace a 1st gen 1.25 GHz G4 Mac mini for my 89 year old mother.
I totally agree with you! It's an incredible bargain for such a ludicrous price! It was auctioned at 95€ and I was amazed the seller accepted 80€ shipping included. :headbang:
Its insides were quite clean and SMART data says 11000 hours, which I think is not excessive.
Actually, it's a shame that it will only be used for Internet by my mother... :lol:
If my Z68 ever lets me down I'll surely buy another one for myself! ;)

SMART data says 11000 hours, which I think is not excessive.
So you installed to the mechanical HDD that came with it ?
it's a shame that it will only be used for Internet by my mother
I'm sure she'll be happy with it, whatever she uses it for.
All of mine have been stable and reliable, nearly as good as my old Gigabyte Z68-MA build from 9 years ago.

So you installed to the mechanical HDD that came with it ?
For the time being, I'm using a spare drive of mine for testing but yes, in the end I think I'll keep a dual boot Windows8.1/Mac (just in case) on the original drive — the scope being to spend as little money as possible... :mrgreen:
With her coming from the G4, it's only important that the result be as close as possible to what she's used to.
Actually, I had put a PATA SSD in the mini, so it's still really usable for plenty of things, but Internet (with TenFourFox) is the weak spot and some heavy website is beginning to have issue (namely her banking website...)

it's still really usable for plenty of things, but Internet (with TenFourFox) is the weak spot and some heavy website is beginning to have issue (namely her banking website...)
Eventually banks will cut off the use of outdated versions of Chrome, Firefox and Safari. With Mojave installed she'll get the latest version of FireFox that meets their security requirements. It's also good to get the last versions of Mojave security patches too. I've seen much more Mac focused malware affecting people the last few years.

Back