Contribute
Register

The Ultimate Low Cost Big Sur Hackintosh - Core i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF

Hi TRS!
Your guide decided me to buy a 3020 SFF that I've just found on eBay for 80€. :thumbup:
It's meant to replace a 1st gen 1.25 GHz G4 Mac mini for my 89 year old mother.
I think I'll install Mojave, though — as I'm still running El Cap on my own hack! :mrgreen:
I'll check at Dortania if there's anything specific about it but if you have some suggestion...
Thanks a lot for this great guide, I'm sure it will be very helpful!

It's meant to replace a 1st gen 1.25 GHz G4 Mac mini
I still have one of these 1st gen minis and it still works. It is much too slow now for even internet surfing and email. The 3020 SFF with an SSD should feel like warp speed compared to that ancient Mac mini. I would go with either Catalina or Big Sur. Use the included EFI and it just works with HD4600 iGPU without any tweaking. This way Mom will have the best/latest security updates.

I'm going to attempt this in a few days when all the parts turn up, I'm not too confident I'll get the bios efi folder things correct, hopefully people will be kind enough advise me. God help me

I'm not too confident I'll get the bios efi folder things correct, hopefully people will be kind enough advise me.
Sure, just take your time, follow the guide as written and ask questions when you need help.

Well I appear to be stuck at the beginning of the install from USB, I can boot into the opencore boot menu:
1.install from external, but on opening that I get a white apple logo and the keyboard led shuts off after a few seconds and it just sits there. There are some txt files in the EFI folder.

I can do all the set_var info stuff now (*is that necessary to actually boot from the USB installer?) *for test purposes
modgrubshell works etc
I just can't understand why the installer is hanging.
Tried 2 usb sticks
Created installer usb from apple, bigsur and catalina but both freeze at the same point.
I downloaded a ready made EFI folder from Here and pasted it into the root of the EFI folder after making the changes necessary with gensmbios etc.
I can link anyone to my files used if needed or is there anywhere I can download a known working installer or does anyone wanna make me one I can write using rufus.
I'll go and edit my profile to include my build information but its and i5 4590 with 8GB ram thanks a lot.

Well I appear to be stuck at the beginning of the install from USB
Use the EFI I provided and it will work. Attached at the end of post number 3 of this thread.

Use the EFI I provided and it will work. Attached at the end of post number 3 of this thread.
Thank you so much, that EFI booted so I could see the text included, thankfully showing the error, I know this means the bios var files need adding in? but I have done this 4 times now and I'm left with a circular dell logo and no bios boot. I know this means I must be entering them incorrectly but they're all double checked before commit. I've lost count of how many times I have reset the bios and I deffo have the SFF ones, when they're all entered I type reboot

Attachments

• IMG_20211006_131137.jpg
    IMG_20211006_131137.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 44
does anyone wanna make me one I can write using rufus.
Please follow my guide and use Disk Utility only. Do you have a real Mac or other working hack to do this ?

I have reset the bios and I deffo have the SFF ones
How are you resetting the BIOS ? Are you reflashing it or just pulling out the CMOS battery for a minute and then replacing it ?

Back