Contribute
Register

The Ultimate Low Cost Big Sur Hackintosh - Core i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF

Thank you very much for this fantastic guide. It worked very well, I only can't get the Dell to recognize my 4K monitor. I use a displayport to displayport cable connected directly to the iGPU that works with a sub 4K monitor with no problem. However, once I plug it into my LG 4K display, the display will soon turn off as it receives no input. I can screen share to the Optiplex from another mac and it does turn on, but when I go to screen settings, it thinks it has an integrated iMac display. Any help please? I have an Optiplex 3020 MT by the way.
Incredible. I just used the newer 0.8 EFI folder for the Mac mini and now it works.

Just a minor thing: does anyone know why I only got the option in Displays for 1080p or 4k but not anything in between? I'd like to set it to 2560x1400 or something. 4K scaling is way too small and 1080p looks too huge imo. I'm connected with a DP to DP cable from the 4600 directly to my LG 4K display.
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 16.44.21.png

It's one part of it. If you must have that feature working the best option would be this card:

View attachment 562618

Some more relevant info about AirPlay you should know about.

Peer-to-peer AirPlay requires the following hardware:
  • Apple TV HD with tvOS 9.0 or later, or Apple TV 4K with tvOS 11.0 or later
  • iPhone, iPad, and Mac computers from late 2012 or later using the latest version of their operating system
Apple TV also contains a setting that allows you to choose—or manage with a mobile device management (MDM) payload—how users connect:
  • Everyone can use AirPlay: Users connect over peer-to-peer or the infrastructure network to Apple TV.
  • Anyone on the same local network can use AirPlay: Only users on the same local network can AirPlay to Apple TV.
  • Off: AirPlay is disabled, and users won’t be able to AirPlay to Apple TV.
Thank you so much for your great and kind help!

I did order this card and could install it rather easily: it fit into the smaller pci slot and I connected it on the motherboard using the front USB (leaving the front USB not connected).

The wifi and bluetooth works perfectly! Everything great except one issue:

When booting an error is shown I cannot disable nor ignore:

"Alert! Front I/O Cable failure.

To continue press F1 key
..."

As far as I could find out it is not possible to disable the I/O error test on bootup. Now I was wondering: how is everyone else working with this card in a 3020 SFF?

It would be great if you could help me!

When booting an error is shown I cannot disable nor ignore:

"Alert! Front I/O Cable failure.

To continue press F1 key
That's telling you that the front USB ports cable isn't connected. The only option I know of is to use one of the back panel USB ports for the BT USB connection. Requires an adapter you could get on Ebay or Amazon. Run the cable back through one of the PCI-e slot openings.

The Timetec 16GB kits are now down to $16.99. So if you haven't maxed out your ram yet, what are you waiting for ?
Screen Shot 13.jpg

Last edited:
Price reduced one more dollar to 16.99 ! Max out your 3020s ram.

Last edited:

Treasure Box RGB Desktop Computer

These Optiplex 3020's in black have come down in price to $130. A good deal still if you want to run Monterey.
They've done the best refurbishing job and make your CustoMac look more interesting. At least you will be able to find it in your dark room at night !

1695128282577.png

Last edited:
41 dollar Hackintosh !

$41.24 Shipped. Only need to add your own Sata 2.5" SSD. Install Monterey and enjoy using macOS.

Back