Contribute
Register

The Ultimate Low Cost Big Sur Hackintosh - Core i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF

What is the make and model of the DP to HDMI adapter you are using ?
The adapter is Belkin make, the HDMI cable also Belkin make too, but I can't find the link.

Did you complete the section of the guide where you increase the DVMT pre-allocation to 64MB ?
Yes, I did follow every steps, nothing more or less.

This Graphics section of your config.plist isn't complete. All the framebuffer patches are not completed. The device-id is missing too.
The original config.plist is complete with device-id. (Yellow box)

DeviceProperties - 2 (Blue box) section is the "fix/solution" I found somewhere using Hackintool to fix the Audio/Video problem. After I add these scripts(DeviceProperties - 2) into config.plist, the [Audio/Video is not smooth] problem is gone.
HDMI output 2.png

After I add these scripts(DeviceProperties - 2) into config.plist, the [Audio/Video is not smooth] problem is gone.
If you want to do that, no problem. On my 3020 SFF there was no need for that to get smooth audio and video. I'll do some more Monterey testing this weekend if I have the time.

Last edited:
The adapter is Belkin make, the HDMI cable also Belkin make too
That adapter is good quality, should work. What kind of monitor ? PC or is it a Television ?

What kind of monitor ?
It's BenQ GW2283.

I had checked with the link you provided. Does this mean the serial number is qualify?

macmini late 2014.png

There is one more thing I forgot to mention, the 3020MT WAS NOT connect to internet during all these stuff I tried.
As I'm waiting my Fenvi T919 to arrive.

3020MT, Monterey Macmini 7,1 build

I spend more time on the system today, here's something to update.
-HDMI audio output works
-Internal Speaker works
-Front & back 3.5 headphone jack works; *for back headphone jack, it will show as "internal speaker" by default, show as "Line Out" when plug in headphone.
-All 6 USB ports at back panel work.
~All two USB ports at front panel NOT WORKING.

-Cannot see model year on system (See Attachments)
*This might be something I did wrong.
Still have no idea how to fix this.

If you want to do that, no problem. On my 3020 SFF there was no need for that to get smooth audio and video. I'll do some more Monterey testing this weekend if I have the time.
I tried remove the scripts I added(Blue Box), the problem comes back. HDMI, Front & Back headphone jack are the same, not smooth. Add back the scripts, problem gone.

-Black screen when booting
For this, turns out I just need a little more patience. Waited about 1 min, the display will show login screen, from all black to login screen, no apple logo, loading bar.
boot time.jpg

All two USB ports at front panel NOT WORKING.
Try the attached kext. Simply replace the existing one in the kexts folder. My two front USB (HS09 and 10) work with no problems. I think the MT USB ports should be the same but I don't have one to test with.

Cannot see model year on system
Mine shows the model year correctly. Late 2014. If it doesn't, makes no difference.

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 9.07.43 AM.png

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
@benkc04 As stated previously, I've only tested that the EFI provided will boot to the Monterey installer, not that everything will work once you reach the desktop. I will hopefully take a look at Monterey and test later this weekend. Thanks for your feedback so far. :thumbup:

Everyone trying Monterey should consider it a WIP or "Work in Progress."

This is primarily a Big Sur guide to which I'm adding some support for Monterey for those that have to use it to run the latest version of Xcode. I'm not a developer, so I'm still running Big Sur at this time. I find that to be the best fit for the 3020 when using iMac 15,1 SMBIOS.

Last edited:
Optiplex 3020MT, Mac mini 7,1 EFI with Big Sur USB.
This time everything work almost flawlessly, Monterey update is available, but I have a minor issues.
Monterey Update.png

First, Solved Issues:
-Front USB all work with the replacement kext.
-Model year not show; actually all I need is to connect to internet.:lol:

New Issues:
-2 Mac mini asked to sign in, which part I did wrong?

Last edited:
Mac mini asked to sign in, which part I did wrong?
Looks like you need to sign in again because you went back to Big Sur.

Also, don't post images/screenshots with your photo and real name. Please remove those.
Due to global privacy laws, avatars may not be selfies or photos that can identify the user.
Using personally identifiable information such as an email address, telephone number or real name is prohibited. tonymacx86 LLC will not be held accountable for exposing any such information.

Last edited:
Just want to say thank you for providing the EFI for Monterey. I was struggling to get it to work properly with SMBIOS 17,1.
But I can safely say after using it for a day, it works without issues on my Optiplex 3020 SFF. Audio seems to work fine (except in safe mode, but no big deal), as does video, ethernet and USB ports. No issues I'm aware of, yet. But I'll let you know if I encounter any. Primarily going to use this machine for music production.

I'm wondering if there's a way to boot straight to the Apple logo though. Since I'm using a standard HDD, it already takes a bit of time to load into the main interface. But now, upon selecting Mac to boot, a huge line of text will scroll through before it begins to show the Apple logo. I've disabled all the Debug flags in config.plist but it still happens. Maybe it's just part of OC gui? Never used the GUI loader before.

Back