Contribute
Register

THE Solution:Dell DW1820A (Broadcom BCM94350ZAE) macOS 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try the BrcmPatchRam kexts supplied by @gaghost in post #36 here? I was having a similar issue and those kexts fixed it for me. Remember they go in Clover/Kexts/Other, “Inject Kexts” set to “Yes” in config.plist. Uninstall all other BT kexts. BTinjector kext needed for Catalina only.

I tested the kexts in post #36 , and “Inject Kexts” set to “Yes” , restart catalina is fine , but finally shutdown laptop and cold boot still hang in Apple Logo...

Now I installed Win10 at the other ssd , first cold boot to win10 login window and then restart to Catalina , it can login MacOS with BT and WIFI fine. It also a warm boot method. no need to change the BIOS twice.

I guess cold boot may not intject the BT or WIFI kexts successfully so cause loading hang...

Change BIOS to restart BT Version is v7 c4689
Restart From Win10 BT Version is v7 c5799

Last edited:
Strange, definitely seems like a BrcmPatchRam issue...weird that removing BrcmPatchRam completely causes wifi to crash as well...

Which BT drivers are you using in Windows? It does appear that an older driver version (version 1703) is already pre-loaded when you warm boot into macOS from Windows (remember the BT default/no firmware is 4096, when firmware is loaded by BrcmPatchRam you get 4096+1703 = 5799 as you indicated). Since the most current release of BrcmPatchRam (which I assume you are installing) uses the most recent driver version/ hex file from the Dell website (version 4689) dated May 2019, it actually does look like BT firmware is being uploaded at cold boot but actually nothing is happening after warm boot from Windows...

Maybe try using older versions of the driver with BrcmPatchRam by replacing the hex file in BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext (then must install to L/E - not sure how to do this with BrcmFirmwareData), since both versions appear to work fine in macOS.

For wifi, remember ArptBrcmFixup.kext must be installed simultaneously with Lilu. My wifi Clover Config patch actually looks like this:
View attachment 443648
and my PciRoot device path reads "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)" in hackintool, but note that "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0)" is actually used in Clover Config. Also I was using "pci13e4,43a3" (as mine reads in hackintool) but switched to the above pci13e4,4353 as this appears in the native IO80211 kext (not sure if this matters or not). I'm also using "00000000" "DATA" instead of "0" "NUMBER" because that is how it's shown in IOReg on my system.

Yes, in Win10 the 1820A BT version is 1703 , in Catalina put the newest 2.5.0 BrcmPatchRAM (only BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext、BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM3.kext )in EFI/Clover/kexts/other.

I tested the BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext in /L/E instead of BrcmFirmwareData, but the BT version was c4096 and wifi unstable.

the PCI properties I configured to 00000000 cause system restart when loading (before apple logo come out)

I tested the BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext in /L/E instead of BrcmFirmwareData, but the BT version was c4096 and wifi unstable.

A value of c4096 indicates that no firmware update was patched into the device at all. It would be pretty much functioning in crippled mode.

Also in theory, WiFI and Bluetooth are entirely separate. PCI-E has 3 interfaces which can be used USB, SD-IO or PCI-E.
Your card uses USB for Bluetooth and PCI-E for the WiFi component. It would not be expected for one to affect the other.

A value of c4096 indicates that no firmware update was patched into the device at all. It would be pretty much functioning in crippled mode.

Also in theory, WiFI and Bluetooth are entirely separate. PCI-E has 3 interfaces which can be used USB, SD-IO or PCI-E.
Your card uses USB for Bluetooth and PCI-E for the WiFi component. It would not be expected for one to affect the other.

When I removed BrcmPatchRAM3.kext from EFI/Clover/kexts/others, WIFI was unstable, It seems wifi was affected by this BT patch...

Only other thing I can think of is to try adding in some kernal flag delays via Boot/Arguments in Clover Config (or by editing your BrcmPatchRAM kext directly) to try to prevent BrcmPatchRAM from hanging. @RehabMan outlines this in his BrcmPatchRAM fork README under Configuration:

which also contains some other good troubleshooting tips.

For example the BrcmPatchRAM kext I am using above has the following already built in:
View attachment 443766

I added InitialDelay=200, PostResetDelay=250, PreResetDelay=250,UpgradeDelay=200 to boot arguments, still hang when cold boot

1578554614945.png

Last edited:
@Hugotai How did you find the pci-aspm-default as the root cause for the system instability that so many people had with this card? I am curious where the info came from since the internet has almost no details other than your post about it.

Thanks

@Hugotai How did you find the pci-aspm-default as the root cause for the system instability that so many people had with this card? I am curious where the info came from since the internet has almost no details other than your post about it.

Thanks
I got it from here,
The clover patch is just randomly found in IOreg, I didn’t know we could override device properties like this too.
I just manage to sell my old DW1560 with is unreasonable high price last week, if more people see this post maybe DW1560 will be worthless. This DW1820a is better in every way, better performance at about 500Mbps download, newer Bluetooth and better linux support.

Last edited:
Guys, all of you having issues with cold boot in macOS or after wake from sleep.

Try adding the change _OSI to XOSI rename into config.plist /ACPI/DSDT/Patches
It can be found on the config.plist templates of Rehabman: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_UHD630.plist

Code:
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>change _OSI to XOSI</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>X09TSQ==</data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>WE9TSQ==</data>

And add this SSDT-XOSI.aml to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched
Note: it is .dsl open it with maciASL and save it as .aml

Reboot and it should fix those problems.

This does emulate Windows and it should solve those problems

Hello everyone, i was able to make my DW1820A work on my Razer Blade 15, WiFi and BT works but it only sees 2.4Ghz networks. I have dual boot with windows and it works perfectly on both 2.4/5 Ghz.

I'm on Catalina, used Clover patch without AirportBrcmFixup kext

I tried many different things with no luck, maybe someone know how to fix this?

Hey "hugotai" I was really glad to find "THE Solution" today for my 1820A card today. I was trying to get I to work the last days from different other sources but it was not working.
I did everything as described:
I Put:
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
to EFI/kexts/other

and added the device property in Clover:
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x7)/Pci(0x0,0x0) -->pci-aspm-default / 0 / number

and I didn't find brcmfx-driver=X even if I didn't know directly were to look, I looked directly in the .plist, so I would say it is not set!

If I reboot my system it comes up, but I don't have Bluetooth, and no Wifi (I look to Network settings and try to add a Network but there is no) correct?
My Setup is:
Wifi Dongle on Ethernet EN1 an OS X Catalina, ASUS Zenbook UX310

Hopefully you can help me, I will serve you a coffee! E.g. in Germany or by Paypal ;-)

Bye BAngel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back