i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I saw this case on Amazon at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FGGKX9W/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I like the overall size and the handles. The pattern on the front panel is probably laser etch. The construction uses M3 screws with collars and silver colored pop rivets. The rivets are only seen on the rear panel.

SIL-1.jpg

SIL-2.jpg

SIL-3.jpg

SIL-4.jpg

SIL-5.jpg

I ordered on October 11th and the case was delivered on October 29th. The product was packaged very well and arrived in perfect condition. This was $ 149 USD.

The case is complete with riser cable, internal AC power cable, USB3 cable, power switch with cable and a package of screws.

The silver anodize looks and feels good. I checked for sharp edges and and found none.

For the most part the case design is good, however I found that the slots for the GPU are not correct and are located about a tenth of an inch too low. You can see this when the GPU rear bracket runs into the power receptacle. I made up a spacer to raise the GPU a tenth inch and moved on.

The included fans have only 4 pin molex connectors and I swapped in 2 noctua 120 mm fans and connected them to the motherboard for PWM fan control.

I also added two countersunk holes to the right rear corner, on the rear panel, to hold my M.2 extender bracket.

Missing from this case is provision for a HDD Activity LED and a reset switch. I will be adding these as I fabricate the needed PSU cable set.

I am using the ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac motherboard with an Intel i5-10400K CPU, (2 x8) 16 GB DDR4 memory, a WD_BLACK SN750 500 GB M.2 NvMe drive, a 1 TB Pioneer SSD on a SATA port, a Silverstone 450 W SFX PSU, a Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB GDDR5 and a Apple WiFi/BT BCM94360CS2 in an M.2 adapter. The CPU cooler is currently a noctua NH-L9x65 and is a little too tall and requires that I make up a new side panel or switch coolers.

Anyway more to follow.
Neil

Last edited:
Clover would not boot the Comet Lake CPU on the Z490. This led me to use Open Core 0.5.9. I installed Catalina and updated to 10.15.7 Supplemental. I found this to be no easy task and I do not pretend to understand Open Core.

I then updated to Open Core 0.6.3 and changed to iMac 19.1 system definition. I was pleased when Big Sur 11.0.1 updated directly. The only issue that I see so far is that the Ethernet ports are not installed but WiFi is. On the bright side, this provides me with opportunity to learn more about OC.

I disassembled the system and removed the top panel to have access to the front IO area. I had to drill out two rivets on the rear panel to complete the disassembly.

SIL-8.jpg

SIL-6.jpg

SIL-7.jpg

The top panel is an assembly of two panels with off-set hole pattern which gives the three leg elliptical pattern. The power switch assembly is a small PC board mounted on two standoffs.

Using a small piece of 3/8 inch thick ABS, I fashioned a block to hold the HDD activity LED (choose white) and the reset switch. Both of the adds are sitting below the top panel surface with matched drilled holes for access.

More to follow
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back