Contribute
Register

The screen will be stuck when CUDA application is running

Status
Not open for further replies.
@xiaodai thanks for the reply here and in the perfect x99 thread. I'm curious if you ever ran 10.12 i've been having a couple people say the freeing with adobe apps is a high sierra issue.

I also tried disabling the monitor power off feature but still same issue.

is there a log or anything to be able to see what is causing the crash/freeze?

Last edited:
@xiaodai thanks for the reply here and in the perfect x99 thread. I'm curious if you ever ran 10.12 i've been having a couple people say the freeing with adobe apps is a high sierra issue.

I also noticed that several posts mention that 10.13 will cause Adobe kits crash when enabling CUDA accelerating. Also, some posts state that this issue, which only appears on 10.13, has been confirmed by Adobe officially.

An OS downgrade is expensive. However, I plan to try to re-install 10.12 to check whether the issue can be solved when I am not busy as now.

However, it is hard to say whether your issue and mine are related to same reason, even if Adobe kits really work well on 10.12.

I try to find some information which contributes to debug, but I get nothing. The freeze is sudden and leaves no logs. The only conclusion that can be definitely confirmed is that PMDrvr.kext will cause freezes on both OpenCL and CUDA workloads.

Under such situation, this issue is quite tricky. Thus, to re-install OS may be a worthful way to try. Would you like to try Adobe kits with CUDA accelerating on 10.12?

Last edited:

I've tried. 10.12 will freeze also.

I've tried. 10.12 will freeze also.

I finally gave in and stuck a vega pro frontier into my rig. Happy to report no freezing yet been pushing big renders through. My not be the solution we all want but maybe the solution we need....

I finally gave in and stuck a vega pro frontier into my rig. Happy to report no freezing yet been pushing big renders through. My not be the solution we all want but maybe the solution we need....

My nvidia based rig will not freeze if no cuda uses. So...

HI @xiaodai,

After a week of working with an updated Substance Painter. I have not experienced any freezes at all.

I did some test with and without PMDrvr.

with PMDrvr

IRay Render in Substance Painter time before freeze

CPU and GPU 1:30
GPU only 0:10​

CudaZ 5 minutes (apprx)​

AME no issues​

Without PMDrvr I can run all 3 simultaneously without issues.

I am running 13.13.3

Nvidia Web Driver: 387.10.10.25.156

Cuda Driver Version: 387.128

My build is nearly Identical to KGP’s except:
  • I don’t have an NVMe drive
  • I use DSM2-ASUS-X99-A-II-USB.kext
  • I skipped section E.9.2
Also, I did patch my Bios.

I did not make any changes to XCPM.

What version of High Sierra are you running? Did you reinject your frequencies after upgrading? What are you running that you need to test for 14 hours?

I upgraded my clone drive to 13.13.4 but there is no CUDA driver for it yet.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to bug you again, can you share your efi? Thanks.

I have this same issue with CUDA freezing my 10.13 Hackintosh while running After Effects, but only if I have PMdrvr.kext installed. Removing it seems to work ok, but now for some reason my Overclock doesn't seem to be working anymore.

hi all
just saw this post and I have a similar issue with CUDA on 10.13.XXX, for me when running CUDA application the PC will restart automatically.
With 10.12 non of this happened so I guess it is related to new OS and how it handle CUDA code...?
I will try your suggestions in the post, finger cross!

Thanks

I have this same issue with CUDA freezing my 10.13 Hackintosh while running After Effects, but only if I have PMdrvr.kext installed. Removing it seems to work ok, but now for some reason my Overclock doesn't seem to be working anymore.
I have similar problems with CUDA apps (AE, Premiere and various 3d apps). I want to try to remove PMdrvr.kext. But can you point me somewhere to understand what this kext is supposed to do? What I'm going to "miss" if I remove it?

Hello, I am experiencing the same problem while Running more then one Cuda application (i.e. After Effects + Cinema4D). Mostly Hackintosh freezes while software is starting to render something (so I guess its related to the GPU temperature?). No info's at the log, it happens to quick. I'm running 10.13.6 High Sierra, but I've also experienced the same thing at Sierra and El Captain while I switched to the new GPU. My hardware specs are: i7 4770 3.5 ghz Haswell, GA-Z87X-OC motherboard, gigabyte geforce 1080ti. Could anybody point me, where I can find that PMdrvr.kext?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back