Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi, Thought I would share my planning of the build and hope to get your thoughts about it.

Case: NZXT H710
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
Cooling: NZXT Kraken M22 120mm - Might not be enough. Looking at X53 or X63 instead (240/280mm)
HD: Sabrent 500GB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 - Good choice?
GPU: RX 580 fits the budget but 5700 XT would be nice. Hmm. Don't think I can afford the VII card.
RAM:???? DDR4, I get that part. Question is what's the best bang for the bucks? 2666, 3000, 3200, 3400, 3600mhz (2x8GB or 2x16GB based on $)
Powah: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 (80 Plus Gold)
Monitor: I got a 27" apple thunderbolt. Wonder if it will work with this build. Otherwise, looking at a BenQ 27" 2K QHD (PD2705Q)

Run macOS Catalina on it. 10.15.2+, not meant for gaming. I do music, graphics, and some video editing.

That's it. :)

Last edited:
I did a new build just 2 weeks ago.... I got lucky as the day I went to buy my hardware, the prices dropped on my Mobo, NVME & CPU (i7 10700).

Consider the 500GB Samsung EVO+ NVMe as the prices dropped from $120 to $100.
The Sab Rocket is around $80, at that price I would compare with the WD Black SN750 supposedly very good performer.

DDR4 3600mhz G.Skill V Series 2x8 recently also had a small priced dropped (16GB set $78). Good fast ram make sure to set XMP in bios. If you can get the 32GB ($150) go for it. Other brands are comparable.

Sapphire RX580, no regrets as it is recommended by Apple.

According to NZXT, the M22 is for i3 & i5. if you install it on your i7, let me know about temps. I am running stock cooler for now and waiting for X53 to show up in-stock somewhere. the X63 is more money but can be found.

Last edited:
I did a new build just 2 weeks ago.... I got lucky as the day I went to buy my hardware, the prices dropped on my Mobo, NVME & CPU (i7 10700).

Congrats on the i7 10700. I have looked at the 10th gen but still, find it a bit pricey.

Consider the 500GB Samsung EVO+ NVMe as the prices dropped from $120 to $100.
The Sab Rocket is around $80, at that price I would compare with the WD Black SN750 supposedly very good performer.

Not of fan of any Samsung product but maybe I give in. hah. Maybe go with WD Black. ...Undecided.

DDR4 3600mhz G.Skill V Series 2x8 recently also had a small priced dropped (16GB set $78). Good fast ram make sure to set XMP in bios. If you can get the 32GB ($150) go for it. Other brands are comparable.

Oh, perfect.

Sapphire RX580, no regrets as it is recommended by Apple.

To keep cost down, I'm looking for a used one. Maybe get lucky and score the nitro+ version of RX580.

According to NZXT, the M22 is for i3 & i5. if you install it on your i7, let me know about temps. I am running stock cooler for now and waiting for X53 to show up in-stock somewhere. the X63 is more money but can be found

Let you know how this goes. Most things from NZXT is "out of stock" hah.

My experience is with their mechanical HDDs. I ran 3 in my last hackintosh for about 14 years. Only one failed, just as I was putting together my new build it clicked itself to death... Luckily I did have the important files backed up. For the NVMe's all the comparisons I have seen online are put up against the Samsungs. But everyone has their experiences and preferences. Because of my aging HHD's I am thinking of adding a 2nd NVMe and may go with the WD Black SN750.

@JBX Good to hear. By the way, what PSU are you using? I was thinking 750, maybe 850 (gold) if the price is right. right now, I found a 1000w (gold) that's 2-3 years old, but it's like at $120 price. What do you think?

I am not familiar with PSU's these days as I didn't have to shop for one. I re-used my old Corsair TX650W (I think made by Seasonic back then). I would have gone modular but hiding all the connectors is not an issue I have the NZXT H510 case.

Last edited:
I'm being told by Gigabyte support that I shouldn't use a Corsair VS550 PSU because it is ATX v2.31 and not 2.4. Have you guys heard this before?

I have no clue but even the newer models of my Corsair TX650 are spec'ed at v2.31

I have been running for about a month now and no issues.

I have no clue but even the newer models of my Corsair TX650 are spec'ed at v2.31

I have been running for about a month now and no issues.
Thanks - it looks like BS. The VS550 works fine. The issue was a brand new dead on arrival CPU. A rare thing in itself but hey it has to happen to somebody eventually. Now on to the hackintosh install...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back