Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Update - Sleep/Wake Functionality!

Concerning "Sleep/Wake Functionality", a new section has been introduced to my macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide, which also directly applies to macOS Sierra 10.12. Just note that in case of macOS Sierra 10.12, the repeatedly indicated path "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others/" changes to "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12/"

The former approach depicted in my macOS Sierra 10.12 Desktop Guide (originating post of this thread) is now obsolete and has been crossed out. It will be totally removed during the next days! So please undo all applied changes and follow the new "Sleep/Wake Functionality"-Section of my macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide.

Thanks for your attention and notice!

Cheers,

KGP

Hey kgp thanks for the advice on mobo; I ended up going with the Asus Deluxe II which should hopefully arrive with everything else tomorrow.

I'm actually considering sending back one of my sata drives and getting 2x NVMe drives though as this is build is mainly for content creation and would be dealing with large amounts of 4k footage. My setup for drives would then be

512GB 850 PRO - Mac OS
1TB 960 EVO - Current projects
250GB 960 EVO - Scratch disk (This is where preview files from the video content on the current projects drive would be stored and is constantly being written and read from)
240gb - Windows OS (solely for gaming)
2x 2TB WD Blacks - Storage

From what I understand that board has 2x NVMe slots? The cpu I'll be using is an i7 6850k. Just wanted to double check that the drive setup should be all sweet for that board. Really appreciate you're help! I'm looking forward to putting it all together.

Hey kgp thanks for the advice on mobo; I ended up going with the Asus Deluxe II which should hopefully arrive with everything else tomorrow.

I'm actually considering sending back one of my sata drives and getting 2x NVMe drives though as this is build is mainly for content creation and would be dealing with large amounts of 4k footage. My setup for drives would then be

512GB 850 PRO - Mac OS
1TB 960 EVO - Current projects
250GB 960 EVO - Scratch disk (This is where preview files from the video content on the current projects drive would be stored and is constantly being written and read from)
240gb - Windows OS (solely for gaming)
2x 2TB WD Blacks - Storage

From what I understand that board has 2x NVMe slots? The cpu I'll be using is an i7 6850k. Just wanted to double check that the drive setup should be all sweet for that board. Really appreciate you're help! I'm looking forward to putting it all together.

1.) The board has just one NVMe slot! If you want to use two NVMes you need the ASUS PCIe NVMe extension card.
2.) I would install the System on the 1TB 960 EVO as it is much faster than a SSD.
3.) You should also think on some backup SSD of your System Disk
3.) For your current projects and preview files, I would just use SSDs of adequate size. Part of your projects and preview files you might be able to store on the M.2 System Disk
4.) Also for windows, I would use a SSD.
5.) Storage with 2x 2TB WD Blacks looks fine.

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
1.) The board has just one NVMe slot! If you want to use two NVMes you need the ASUS PCIe NVMe extension card.
2.) I would install the System on the 1TB 960 EVO as it is much faster than a SSD.
3.) For your current projects and a preview files, I would use SSDs of adequate size.
4.) Also for windows, I would use a SSD.
5.) Storage with 2x 2TB WD Blacks looks fine.

Cheers,

KGP

Thanks for the fast reply! Ahh ok, not sure why I had it stuck in my head that the board had two free NVMe slots. I'm assuming the "Asus Accessory Hyper M.2 X4 Mini Card M.2 to 32Gbit/s with PCIE slot" would be compatible?

Looks like I'll have to send that 850 Pro back then. The windows OS is defiantly going to be on an SSD the current one coming is a kingston v400 which for the price should be perfect for just gaming.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the fast reply! Ahh ok, not sure why I had it stuck in my head that the board had two free NVMe slots. I'm assuming the "Asus Accessory Hyper M.2 X4 Mini Card M.2 to 32Gbit/s with PCIE slot" would be compatible?

Looks like I'll have to send that 850 Pro back then. The windows OS is defiantly going to be on an SSD the current one coming is a kingston v400 which for the price should be perfect for just gaming.

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, the ASUS Accessory Hyper M.2 PCIe card should be fine if you really need a second M.2 of just 250 GB size. You really could use part of your 1TB M.2 System disk for the storage of these data. I would change the 512GB 850 PRO to a 1TB EVO 850 SSD, which seems perfectly suited as a backup disk of your 1TB M.2 system disk.

Another option is to sell the 250 GB EVO 960 M.2 and purchase and install another 1 TB EVO 960 in the ASUS Accessory Hyper M.2 PCIe card and use that one for your current projects and preview files.

Or you use the 250 GB EVO 960 M.2 as system disk (though very tight disk space configuration for a system disk) and the 1 TB EVO 960 for your current projects and preview files. In this case you could also use your 850 Pro as a backup disk of your 250 GB EVO 960 M.2 System disk.

Up to you.

Cheers,

KGP

Yes, the ASUS Accessory Hyper M.2 PCIe card should be fine if you really need a second M.2 of just 250 GB size. You really could use part of your 1TB M.2 System disk for the storage of these data. I would change the 512GB 850 PRO to a 1TB EVO 850 SSD, which seems perfectly suited as a backup disk of your 1TB M.2 system disk.

Another option is to sell the 250 GB EVO 960 M.2 and purchase and install another 1 TB EVO 960 in the ASUS Accessory Hyper M.2 PCIe card and use that one for your current projects and preview files.

Or you use the 250 GB EVO 960 M.2 as system disk (though very tight disk space configuration for a system disk) and the 1 TB EVO 960 for your current projects and preview files. In this case you could also use your 850 Pro as a backup disk of your 250 GB EVO 960 M.2 System disk.

Up to you.

Cheers,

KGP

Sweet glad to hear it! The reasoning behind having two M.2 drives instead of one is because the main program I'll be using day to day will actually gain a fairly decent performance boost from reading off two drives rather than 1 if the working video files are not on the same drive as the OS. I don't think I'll need a TB for the OS, a 512GB 960 should be more than enough in my case if I'm putting all those working files on the 1TB 960 project drive.

I actually didn't think to much about a backup disk but using the 850 PRO for that defiantly sounds like a good idea.

You've defiantly given me a few things to think about about though...

Reactions: kgp
One strange thing is that if my display goes to sleep and I leave it for more than 5 minutes (I measured, 5 minutes exactly) the display won't wakeup. I have been struggling with this for few days now and I read somewhere that enabling CSM may help and sure it did. I enabled CSM and put everything to UEFI and it just worked. Keep in mind that I have 3 4K displays.

Also sleep works but no more than one time. Sometimes it doesn't even work the first time. I tried it with both CSM enabled and disabled.
I have the exact same issue with sleep on Sierra with 3 4k displays. I have the Gigabyte Z170x-UD5-TH mobo (bios v F21) and could not find "CSM" setting. Could you point me in the right direction or perhaps somewhere in clover configurator? Thanks!

I have the exact same issue with sleep on Sierra with 3 4k displays. I have the Gigabyte Z170x-UD5-TH mobo (bios v F21) and could not find "CSM" setting. Could you point me in the right direction or perhaps somewhere in clover configurator? Thanks!

I don't see the point why the BIOS CSM setting should be related with sleep/wake. Follow the new sleep/wake section in my 10.13 High Sierra Guide which also directly applies to 10.12.

Cheers,

KGP

I don't see the point why the BIOS CSM setting should be related with sleep/wake. Follow the new sleep/wake section in my 10.13 High Sierra Guide which also directly applies to 10.12.

Cheers,

KGP
Thanks for the quick reply - is it the guide in the first post? I landed here on page 99. My goal is to just get display sleep working in Sierra (worked fine in El Cap) and I have tried everything including darkwake=0... I appreciate if you can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back