Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread title changed as @kgp requested. :thumbup:

Adrian, could you do me one more favor? There still remains a typo in the thread-title: "built" -> "build" ;), could you please correct it in addition? And if you could change "Crucial Ballistix Sport LT" to "128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT" or "128GB Ballistix Sport LT" even better ;). I would have performed these changes myself long time ago, but I guess I am not allowed to.

Cheers and many thanks in advance!

Adrian, could you do me one more favor? There still remains a typo in the thread-title: "built" -> "build" ;), could you please correct it in addition? And if you could change "Crucial Ballistix Sport LT" to "128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT" or "128GB Ballistix Sport LT" even better ;). I would have performed these changes myself long time ago, but I guess I am not allowed to.

Fixed - and you can only change the heading that you put at the top of the "body" of your post. The thread title needs to be tweaked by one of the moderators. I've made the fixes you've requested. That's the least I can do for all the help you've provided on this thread!

Speaking of upgrades, I'm half-tempted to dump my X99-DELUXE build all together & get the parts to match your build head-to-head, especially as it relates to PM. Because I'm on Haswell-E, I can't use all the various patches that you've shared :cry:

Fixed - and you can only change the heading that you put at the top of the "body" of your post. The thread title needs to be tweaked by one of the moderators. I've made the fixes you've requested. That's the least I can do for all the help you've provided on this thread!

Speaking of upgrades, I'm half-tempted to dump my X99-DELUXE build all together & get the parts to match your build head-to-head, especially as it relates to PM. Because I'm on Haswell-E, I can't use all the various patches that you've shared :cry:

Thanks a lot man! :thumbup: Concerning xcpm and Haswell-E you just have to change some of the KernelToPatch entries... I can help you with that if you want! This might not be any major issue! But if you want to go anyway for the super duper build you are also welcome :lol:

Update:

Look to the table below taken from Piker-Alpha's thread! For Haswell-E, you have to substitute in some of the KernelToPatch entries (indicated in blue) the values indicated in green by those indicated in red.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// kernel location 0x1fb451 (0xE9 in DP2/DP3/DP4, 0xF1 in DP1) _cpuid_set_info
//
// Broadwell E (0x4F) -> Broadwell (0x47) => 0x4F-0x47 = 0x08 -> change 0xE9 into 0xE1
// Haswell E (0x3F) -> Haswell (0x3C) => 0x3F-0x3C = 0x03 -> change 0xE9 into 0xE6
// Ivy Bridge E (0x3E) -> Ivy Bridge (0x3A) => 0x3E-0x3A = 0x04 -> change 0xE9 into 0xE5
../..
//
// kernel location 0x22a422 (0xC4 in DP2/DP3/DP4, 0x?? in DP1) _xcpm_bootstrap
//
// Broadwell E (0x4F) -> Broadwell (0x47) => 0x4F-0x47 = 0x08 -> change 0xC4 into 0xBC
// Haswell E (0x3F) -> Haswell (0x3C) => 0x3F-0x3C = 0x03 -> change 0xC4 into 0xC1
// Ivy Bridge E (0x3E) -> Haswell (0x3C) => 0x3E-0x3C = 0x02 -> change 0xC4 into 0xC2
//
// Broadwell E (0x4F) -> Haswell (0x3C) => 0x4F-0x3C = 0x13 -> change 0xC4 into 0xB1
../..
//
// If MSR(0xE2) is locked (bit-15 is set) then also change
//
// kernel location 0x220b30 and 0x220b5f in _xcpm_idle from 0x0f30 (wrmsr) to 0x9090 (nop nop).
//
// Additionally (if booting results in a immediate reboot)
//
// kernel location 0x22a820 change 0x55 into 0xC3 (ret) to stop the KP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All other KernelToPatch entries remain untouched, if I correctly remember. Of course, most of the entries are only valid for 10.12.

Last edited:
@trs96, could you do me one more favor? There still remains a typo in the thread-title: "built" -> "build" ;), could you please correct it in addition? And if you could change "Crucial Ballistix Sport LT" to "128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT" or "128GB Ballistix Sport LT" even better ;). I would have performed these changes myself long time ago, but I guess I am not allowed to.

A perfect build deserves a perfect title. Nice work on this guide BTW !

Thanks a lot man! :thumbup: Concerning xcpm and Haswell-E you just have to change some of the KernelToPatch entries... I can help you with that if you want! This might not be any major issue! But if you want to go anyway for the super duper build you are also welcome :lol:
Hmmm...I might just take you up on that. I just finished following your instructions on the OC - PowerGadget does show that I'm reaching 4.2Ghz:
Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 12.20.05 PM.png
...my GB scores (with the OC) are significantly less than what you're getting with stock speed on 6800K (or was that GB screen shot with the 6950 by then?):
Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 12.23.17 PM.png
I suspect PM won't improve the performance of my CPU and get my GB scores up to 25-27K....?? Or will it?

Hmmm...I might just take you up on that. I just finished following your instructions on the OC - PowerGadget does show that I'm reaching 4.2Ghz:
View attachment 244260
...my GB scores (with the OC) are significantly less than what you're getting with stock speed on 6800K (or was that GB screen shot with the 6950 by then?):
View attachment 244262

Yes taken with the 6950X! The entire guide refers to the 6950X! Confusion caused by the former thread-title ;)

Did you see the update in my previous reply concerning the KernelToPatch entries for Haswell-E?

Yes taken with the 6950X! The entire guide refers to the 6950X! Confusion caused by the former thread-title ;)
So noted - thanks! I thought maybe you had upgraded CPUs *after* you had run GeekBench. I think I need to go shopping...
:headbang::mrgreen::clap::beachball:

PS - I don't think my budget (or my spouse) will let me go for the ultimate 6950X... But I know I can definitely do the 6850K, which I'm sure will give me better performance than I'm getting now... (I hope)!!!

Last edited:
So noted - thanks! I thought maybe you had upgraded CPUs *after* you had run GeekBench. I think I need to go shopping...
:headbang::mrgreen::clap::beachball:

Hahahaha :lol::lol::lol: But unfortunately, the i7-6950X is the deep-pocket part of the entire build o_O:lol:

By the way, did you notice the update in my previous reply concerning the KernelToPatch entries for Haswell-E?

Hahahaha :lol::lol::lol: But unfortunately, the i7-6950X is the deep-pocket part of the entire build o_O:lol:

By the way, did you notice the update in my previous reply concerning the KernelToPatch entries for Haswell-E?
Yes...I *just* now saw that. I appreciate the extra info. I'm running 10.12.3... I'm hoping that all those kext patches will still be valid... BTW, I also just updated my previous post after noting the price of the 6850K - WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back