Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
That indeed sounds really interesting. To be honest i've never seen something like this :eek:

I did some testing on the CUDA vs OpenGL and 32 GB RAM vs 64 GB RAM while Encoding Media to 1920p60 h264:

Boot time of my Premiere Pro Project with 32 GB RAM: 1:07s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 26.5GB

Boot time of my Premiere Pro Project with 64 GB RAM: 1:02s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 29GB

Encoding with 32 GB RAM and CUDA while editing: 6:19s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 11.8GB
- Ram Usage Media Encoder: 7GB

Encoding with 64 GB RAM and CUDA while editing: 5:59s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 12.5GB
- Ram Usage Media Encoder: 10.8GB

Encoding with 32 GB RAM and CUDA only Media Encoder open: 4:07s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 12GB

Encoding with 64 GB RAM and CUDA only Media Encoder open: 4:07s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 14GB

Encoding with 64 GB RAM and OpenCL only Media Encoder open: 5:01s

My tests show an increase of 20% if you use CUDA engine.
64GB is only an advantage if you are multitasking while encoding.

What really gave some performance is OC to 4.2GHZ following this guide
http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/7/
You can monitor peak CPU load with Intel Power Gadget.

I hope this can be for interest to someone.

Last edited:
Just carefully apply the correct BIOS-settings of Giacomoleopardo, which I summarize at the beginning of my guide. I also faced random reboots at the beginning of my built. However, with the correct BIOS settings, I got rid of of all random reboots. :thumbup:

What are you guys using for monitors? I'm having the same reboot issues as ptzulu using multiple monitors. If I have 1 DVI monitor, it works a champ. I can plug a second monitor in once the machine is booted, but if I boot with 2 monitors plugged in, I get reboots.

That indeed sounds really interesting. To be honest i've never seen something like this :eek:

I did some testing on the CUDA vs OpenGL and 32 GB RAM vs 64 GB RAM while Encoding Media to 1920p60 h264:

Boot time of my Premiere Pro Project with 32 GB RAM: 1:07s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 26.5GB

Boot time of my Premiere Pro Project with 64 GB RAM: 1:02s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 29GB

Encoding with 32 GB RAM and CUDA while editing: 6:19s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 11.8GB
- Ram Usage Media Encoder: 7GB

Encoding with 64 GB RAM and CUDA while editing: 5:59s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 12.5GB
- Ram Usage Media Encoder: 10.8GB

Encoding with 32 GB RAM and CUDA only Media Encoder open: 4:07s
- Ram Usage Premiere: 12GB

Encoding with 64 GB RAM and CUDA only Media Encoder open: 4:07s

Encoding with 64 GB RAM and OpenCL only Media Encoder open: 5:01s

My tests show an increase of 20% if you use CUDA engine.
64GB is only an advantage if you are multitasking while encoding.

What really gave some performance is OC to 4.2GHZ following this guide
http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/7/
You can monitor peak CPU load with Intel Power Gadget.

I hope this can be for interest to someone.

Thanks for testing and all your info!

What are you guys using for monitors? I'm having the same reboot issues as ptzulu using multiple monitors. If I have 1 DVI monitor, it works a champ. I can plug a second monitor in once the machine is booted, but if I boot with 2 monitors plugged in, I get reboots.

I just use 1 monitor via HDMI. Did not do any testing with 2 monitors yet. Sorry! Did you try the Display ports?

Last edited:
I just use 1 monitor via HDMI. Did not do any testing with 2 monitors yet. Sorry! Did you try 2 HDMI ports?

My 980ti has 1 DVI, 3 display ports, and 1 HDMI. On my old system I could run 4 monitors off it. With this system I can run 2, but it will only boot with 1 plugged in. If I have two hooked up at boot, it reboots. In the ptzulu, post he wasn't haven't issues if 2 monitors were connected to DVI, but was if it was an other combination. I only have 1 DVI connector on my card so I can't test that. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a new LG 38" ultrawide monitor?

Right now I have a 980ti graphics card, Blackmagic Intensity 4k, and Asus ThunderboltEX 3 card in the PCI slots. I'm using a Apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adaptor cable to hook up my thunderbolt 1 raids.

I did have to the test2-2016.efi to get past the OsxAptioFixDrv: AllocateRelocBlock Error after I got after adding more PCI devices.

Sleep is not working at all. USB 3.1 runs at USB 3 speeds. But that's not a big deal. I use my system for video, photo and graphics creation.

My 980ti has 1 DVI, 3 display ports, and 1 HDMI. On my old system I could run 4 monitors off it. With this system I can run 2, but it will only boot with 1 plugged in. If I have two hooked up at boot, it reboots. In the ptzulu, post he wasn't haven't issues if 2 monitors were connected to DVI, but was if it was an other combination. I only have 1 DVI connector on my card so I can't test that. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a new LG 38" ultrawide monitor?

Right now I have a 980ti graphics card, Blackmagic Intensity 4k, and Asus ThunderboltEX 3 card in the PCI slots. I'm using a Apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adaptor cable to hook up my thunderbolt 1 raids.

I did have to the test2-2016.efi to get past the OsxAptioFixDrv: AllocateRelocBlock Error after I got after adding more PCI devices.

Sleep is not working at all. USB 3.1 runs at USB 3 speeds. But that's not a big deal. I use my system for video, photo and graphics creation.

You have a very specific graphic configuration. In my built, test2-2016.efi is not required at all to pass the OsxAptioFixDrv. Sleep/Wake is not working, and USB 3.1 runs at USB 3. You are very welcome to provide effective solutions and further improvements :thumbup:. Cheers!

Last edited:
I run 2x DELL U2515H Display 2560 x 1440 via Displayport. Had to use the most outer Displayport plugs as i had the same problem not booting properly when plugged in. Try changing the Displaport since you have 3. Works well.

In my built, test2-2016.efi is not required at all to pass the OsxAptioFixDrv! Also there you messed up something :thumbdown. Instead of complaining, like sleep is not working at all, or USB 3.1 runs at USB 3, you should be happy that some people commit the effort to provide build suggestions and specific guides to help people like you who apparently just mirror

To be clear. Thank you. You're build worked well. When just mirroring your build it worked. I did not have to add the test2-2016.efi file until I added extra PCI cards in my build. I was just adding to your thread the extra parts that I put in my box. Your guide was a big help and I am not complaining. I wouldn't have gotten it running without your guide. Thank you.

To be clear. Thank you. You're build worked well. When just mirroring your build it worked. I did not have to add the test2-2016.efi file until I added extra PCI cards in my build. I was just adding to your thread the extra parts that I put in my box. Your guide was a big help and I am not complaining. I wouldn't have gotten it running without your guide. Thank you.

Everything allright! :thumbup:

View attachment 228759

Being frustrated about the present Customac Pro build configuration proposed by Tonymacx's Buyer's guide, I decided to go for a new Customac Pro Built based on the Broadwell-E CPU, X99 chipset and LGA2011-v3 socket with Mac OS Sierra beating records, running like hell and behaving absolutely stable.

Hardware Buyer's Guide

Mainboard: Asus X99-A II
CPU: I7-6800K (6-core); I7-6850K (6-core), I7-6900K (8 core), I7-6950X(10-core) are further options
RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64 GB Kit (128GB)
Startup Disk: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (SSD)
RAID: 3x Western Digital Red Pro 6TB (18TB)
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 TI (used below 400$)
Wifi: TP-Link PCI Express WIFI Adapter 802.11N (N900)
Bluetooth: IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
Power Supply: Corsair AX860
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2
Webcam: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
Monitor: Asus MX299Q, 29", ultra-wide, 21:9, 2560x1080 pix
Case: Corsair CC600TWM-WHT, Graphite Series 600T, Mid Tower
Keyboard: Logitech K811
Mouse: Logitech Ultra-Thin Touch Mouse T631
External Blu-Ray Writer: Buffalo MediaStation BRXL-16U3

View attachment 229170

BIOS Configuration Guide

Just follow the instructions provided by Giacomoleopardo in "STEP 2 - BIOS Configuration", which I basically summarize below. His instructions for the BIOS configuration are complete and result in a stable Mac OS Sierra system configuration.

View attachment 228923

1.) go to Exit\
a) Load Optimized Defaults​
2.) go to Ai Tweaker\
a) ASUS Multicore Enhancement: "Disabled"
b) CPU Core Ratio: "Auto"
c) Internal PLL Overvoltage: "Disabled"​
3.) go to Advanced\CPU Configuration\CPU Power Management Configuration\
a) Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology: "Disabled"
b) Turbo mode: "Enabled"
c) CPU C-State: "Auto"​
4.) go to Advanced\USB Configuration\
a) Intel xHCI Mode: "Enabled"
b) EHCI Legacy Support: "Enabled"
c) xHCI Hand-off: "Enabled"
d) EHCI Hand-off: "Disabled"​
5.) go to Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration\
a) SPDIF Out Type: "HDMI"
b) PCIEX16_2 Slot Bandwidth: "X4 Mode"
NOTE: If you want to use the Wifi PCI Express Card choose the "Standard Mode" instead, otherwhise the WIFI PCI Express Card will not be recognized.
c) Serial Port: "Off"​
6.) go to \Boot\
a.) Fast Boot: "Disabled"
b) Setup Mode: "Advanced"​
7.) go to \Boot\CSM (Compatibility Support Module)\
a) Launch CSM: "Disabled"​
8.) go to \Boot\Secure Boot\
a) OS Type: "Other OS"
b) Define the harddrive BBS priorities​
10.) Press F10 key to Save and Reboot

Bootable USB Drive Creation and MacOS Sierra Installation Guide
If you do not poccess an already pre-installed MacOS Sierra 10.12 distribution on your new hackintosh, you will have to create now a bootable USB installation medium on any Macintosh or Hackintosh you already have at your disposal and subsequently install MacOs Sierra 10.12 on your new system by means of the respective USB installation medium you created before. Please strictly follow this "Bootable USB Drive creation and MacOS Sierra Installation Guide" and DO NOT use UNIBEAST instead! Unibeast will create files in the /EFI/CLOVER/ directory of your USB installation medium you do not want to have there. If you already created a USB installation medium with unibeast before, delete the "config.plist" file and "/drivers64UEFI/" and "/kexts/10.12/" directories in the /EFI/CLOVER/ directory of your USB installation medium and proceed with this "Bootable USB Drive creation and MacOS Sierra Installation Guide". If you do already have a pre-installed MacOS Sierra 10.12 distribution on your new hackintosh, directly jump to my "System Disk Post-Installation Guide" below.

1.) Download the latest version of MacOS Sierra by performing the following actions:
a) Delete any version of the MacOS Sierra installer from your "Applications" folder if older versions of the installer exist.
b) Go to the App-Store, and download Sierra.​

2.) Prepare an USB thumb drive with Disk Utility with the following options:
a) GUID Partition Table
b) Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
c) Use the name “USB”​

3.) Type in a Terminal the following command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --no interaction

This will take some time

4.) Download and install the latest Clover distribution on your USB-DISK by verifying the proper Install-location (USB-DISK) and customizing (dont press "Install" but "Customize" instead) the following options:

a) Install for UEFI booting only
b) Install Clover in the ESP
c) Select the Bootloader Themes you want to install
e) !Do not enable any of the options in the Drivers64UEFI menue! The required files and directories will be copied in the next step below.​

During installation, Clover will automatically create and mount the EFI drive of the USB installation medium.

5.) When Clover Installation completes, copy the "config.plist" file and the "/drivers64UEFI/" and "/kexts/10.12/" directories of ptzulu into the "CLOVER" directory of the EFI partition of your USB installation medium. No other files will be needed! Therfore, before performing this step, delete the "config.plist" file and /drivers64UEFI/ and /kexts/10.12/ directories in the /EFI/Clover/ directory of your USB installation medium if previously installed, e.g. by unibeast or a previous Clover installation! Note that also kext files like the "VoodooTSCSync.kext" (to enable CPUs with a higher number of cores), the "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext", the "BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext" or the "AppleIntelE1000e.kext" apparently are not required anymore.

!!You are done!!

6.) Before installing MacOS Sierra on your new system, don't forget to apply the BIOS configuration as detailed by Giacomoleopardo in "STEP 2 - BIOS Configuration".

7.) Boot the USB Installation Medium with the following boot options: -v npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1

8.) Install MacOS Sierra onto your system

9.) Now perform the Post-Installation procedure described below

System Disk Post-Installation Guide

Install the latest CLOVER distribution on your System Disk

Download and install the latest Clover distrubution on your Sierra system disk by verifying the proper Install-Location (Sierra System Disk) and customizing (dont press "Install" but "Customize" instead) the following options:

a) Install for UEFI booting only
b) Install Clover in the ESP
c) Select the Bootloader Themes you want to install
d) Enable Install RC scripts on target volume
e) !Do not enable any of the options in the Drivers64UEFI menue! The required files and directories will be copied in the next step below.​

During installation, Clover will automatically create and mount the EFI drive of your Sierra system disk.

View attachment 229776

Clover Configuration

1.) Download the following configuration files of ptzulu (for further details see the post of ptzulu on insanelymac), which I attach once more at the end of my post:

a) "config.plist.zip" -> unzip and copy the "config-plist" file to the "/EFI/CLOVER" directory of the "EFI" partition of your Sierra system disk.
b) "drivers64UEFI.zip" -> unzip and copy the "drivers64UEFI" directory to the "/EFI/CLOVER" directory of the "EFI" partition of your Sierra system disk.
c) "kexts.zip" -> unzip and copy the "kexts" directory to the "/EFI/CLOVER" directory of the "EFI" partition of your Sierra system disk.​

No other configuration files will be needed! Before performing a), b), c), delete any "config.plist" file and /drivers64UEFI/ and /kexts/10.12/ directories from the "/EFI/CLOVER" directory of your Sierra system disk if previously installed, e.g. by Multibeast or any previous Clover Installation!! Don't use Multibeast in general! Note that also kext files like the "VoodooTSCSync.kext" (to enable CPUs with a higher number of cores), the "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext", the "BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext" or the "AppleIntelE1000e.kext" are apparently not required anymore.

2.) Download the latest Version of the Clover Configurator and open ptzulu's "config.plist" file in the /EFI/CLOVER/ directory on the EFI-Paritition of your Sierra system disk.

View attachment 228920

a.) Implement the correct "RT Variables" and "SMBIOS" entries (ROM, MLB, Product Name, Family, Manufacturer, Bios Version, Bios Release Date, Bios Vendor, Board Type, Board ID, Board Manufacturer, Board Serial Number, Serial Number) with the "calculate" or "magic stick function" of the Clover Configurator, respectively, to subsequently enable iMessage and Facetime on MacOS Sierra. You just need to complete in addition the ROM and MLB entries under "RT Variables", while the BooterConfig (0x28) and CsrActiveConfig (0x67) entries remain unchanged.
b.) Select the following "BOOT" options: npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1
c.) Save the modified config.plist configuration​

Optional Audio Configuration

The "kexts" folder of ptzulu contains the VodooHDA.kext which is fully working but apparently results in a low audio gain signal.
If one prefers to change to an audio_cloverALC configuration instead, the following steps have to be considered:

1.) Remove the VodooHDA.kext from the "/clover/kexts/10.12/" folder of the EFI partition of your Sierra system disk.
2.) Download and install "audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0d.command" and "audio_cloverHDMI-120_v1.0d.command".

With both the VodooHDA and Audio_Clover configuration, the volume of the HDMI output of your Geforce graphic card cannot be directly controlled. I solved the problem by installing some 3rd-party software like Audio Hijack from Rogue Amoeba, which unfortunately does not come for free.

Additional Requirements:

1.) Download and apply the AGDPfix.

View attachment 228921

This is a simple Applescript app that will back up the AppleGraphicsControl.kex to your desktop in a folder called KextBackUp. It will then patch the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist for the MacPro6,1 board ID. This ensures that your GPU will not be effected by the MacPro6,1's AMD FirePro device policy that causes your GPU not to send a signal to your monitor at boot. This app is only useful if you are using the MacPro6,1 system definition.

2.) Download and install the latest NVIDIA Web-drivers and reboot.

View attachment 228922

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:clap:You are done - you now have a splendid and perfect x99/LGA2011-v3 MacOS Sierra Customac Pro Built :clap:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:thumbup:!! Good Luck !!:thumbup:
View attachment 228925

:thumbup:!! Good Luck !!:thumbup:
Thank you kip!
I have been using Asus X99 boards (Deluxe II, A II and Deluxe) with the 6950X and had managed to get Yosemite and El Cap installed using a variety of frustrating methods.
Yesterday I tried your method (TO THE 'T') and both my machines and four SSDs were up and running, all bootable (4), Nvidia GTX960s using nvidia drivers.
I am sorry to say but this was the most successful if not boring(!) installations I have ever done in the four years of hacking.
An amazing guide that works flawlessly, so my hat is off to you kip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back