Contribute
Register

The "Official" C612 (aka lets built the machine Apple never gave us)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, I'm going to be working on my e5-2690 v4 system again, sometime in the next couple weeks. It's single CPU on X99 though.

I'll post whatever I can manage to figure out.

yes this is very unfortunate :) but it means that its working steady and gives me hope i can make it work one day :)
@snookie... what exact cpu or CPU´s are you running?
I have the same processor as you. I tried both ID's and get stuck on the same spot. I actually have two of those processors, not just one.

Hey @snookie

first ,
follow the guide.
until they ask to replace the clover config, with the attached config to the guide.

second,
use @metacollin ´s settings at page 3 , be sure to add the kernel patches, exactly like the post. Remember the FakeLPC in Acpi.

third,
add the DSDT File, is from the Supermicro DSDT that @metacollin shared,
put that in the ACPI / patched folder on you're installer USB.

forth,
The kext, i did google all the kexts from the guide from step one, and the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
to get the latest one, ( you will find them )

fifth,
If you are using the internal LSI Raid card, then you must add AstekFusion2Adapter , and AstekFusion2Family kexts.
you can skip this, if you open the HP Machine, and move the SATA Cabels, from the lover line, to the top line next to PCI-E port 5/4

sixth,
Go to HP .com and grab the latest HP Z840 Bios,
install that, and then use the attached HPSetup.txt to change the Bios settings accordingly.

seventh,
you should be able to boot and install now.

----------------------------------- What I'm missing.

1. GFX
Im stuck at Nvidia drivers, because of we are using M4000 and M6000 24 GB, cards, so I belive it´s because of the Nvidia Web Driver, that I get either Black Screen, or panic reboot.

2. Storage
Im missing the PCI-E M.2 Drive ( HP Z Turbo drive).

3. FiberChannel
I have a Attotech FC card in the machine, that does not show, ( it have been used in a MacPro, where it works)

Possible more fun.
I Also attached the origin.zip, this is the DSDT Dump of the HP Z840,
if we can manage to "translate" that, then we should be getting the full power of the HP Z840 in no time.
Any chance you can post your EFI partition? It's only a couple megs zipped up.

other than the amount of threads, CPU speed and L3 cache the 2698 and 2690 are very similar... strange that we can't make our 40 cores work... Working EFI partitions of the ones with working systems would be highly appreciated!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-08-24 um 19.25.36.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-08-24 um 19.25.36.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 241
I'm working with hardware fairly similar to @metacollin and @Panamamax. A SuperMicro X10DAi and a couple of 2608Lv4's that I'll upgrade later. I first tried a generic Clover guide which didn't work, then followed @metacollin's advice in this thread, including copying the DSDT and SSDT, thinking it would work with El Capitan or Sierra (GM), but haven't gotten past Kernel panic errors similar to what @Panamamax posted. Also tried those EFI's. I'm now in the process of learning about customizing a DSDT and SSDT (ssdtPRGen has no 2608Lv4 definition), XCPM and other patches, etc. I'll update here when or if I have any progress.

Following

Here's a complete overview of the BIOS, after disabling

- CPU advanced power management
- CPU Intel VT
- IIO Intel VT-d
- Thunderbolt add-on card
- System ACPI params
- Hot-plug for SATA
- sSATA

Changing

- PCI OPROM from Legacy to EFI

I think that's all of it.

Notes

BIOS is 2.0.
0 means all cores are enabled.
Memory seems to register correctly (64 GB). Runs at 1866 MHz even though it's 2400 MHz, because of CPU's. One pic shows which sockets, channels and slots they're in.

Last edited:
hey @volition, I was also inspired by metacollins saga so I'm trying my own build. Just got my hardware together today, installed windows to confirm I put the hardware together right and geekbenched at 25k multicore (not yet sure why its so low, I tried a lot of bios tweaks to no avail). Besides the poor geekbench score, everything was running fine on windows so I decided to continue my first hackintosh journey. I expect to post back soon :)

Hardware:
Supermicro MBD-X10DAI-B Supermicro X10DAi Server Motherboard - Intel C612 Chipset - Socket R3 (LGA2011-3)
4x Samsung DDR4 2400 16GB Reg ECC RDIMM M393A2K43BB1-CRC B Server Memory, Original
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB GAMING, Silent Cooling Graphics Card 06G-P4-4990-KR
2x Intel Xeon E5 2690 V4 ES 2.4Ghz 35MB 14Core LGA2011 14nm 135W QHV5 Processor CPU

Last edited:
Just got my hardware together today, installed windows to confirm I put the hardware together right and geekbenched at 25k multicore (not yet sure why its so low, I tried a lot of bios tweaks to no avail).

Brilliant. :) After many attempts following this and @metacollins posts, I installed Windows 10 last night to check hardware too. It's been running since and seems ok. Geekbench scores are ~1,7k single and ~22k multi-core. That's with 'only' a pair of 8-core v4 ES's and in 32-bit tryout mode on a 64-bit OS, so I wasn't too worried, but it's strange that it's so close to your scores. I'm away for a few days, but I'll post back with more details on what I've tried, etc. In the meantime, maybe you'll have more instant luck with the 2690's and the GTX980 (I'm using an XFX Radeon RX 480 8 GB).

Happy to report some initial success @volition!

It has been a lot of fun figuring this out; I started by reviewing all of @metacollin's posts and advice (things like the fakecpuid of 0x0306F0/2 and -xcpm_ipi, not needing kexts, etc) and trying to incorporate that. Spent a couple hours not getting past the initial boot of the installer (specifically, the insta-reboot after +++++++++++++). Then I realized my mistake was that I was trying to emulate @metacollin's end result, where as what I should have been doing was trying to emulate his journey to get there. So with that I started from scratch, clean clover and El Capitan install, and started with metacollins earlier posts first. I also reverted bios and everything to defaults, and made specific effort to change just the minimum to get booting.

I am now currently where metacollin was in this post. A working el capitan install, no CPU power management, working nvidia web driver, geekbench 3 score of 55k (I assume bios tweaks may explain the difference between my 55k and his 62k, I reverted bios and used minimum changes). Full networking works out of the box. Currently USB 3,0 is disabled. Full step-by-step instructions below.

Skipping ahead, what's next? By reading between the posts I believe the next steps metacollins took was to generate the SSDT (by "just making stuff up" ;) ). I believe this step needs to be done first BEFORE trying to use a fakecpuid of 0x0306F0/2 and removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from my build.

Also, would like to figure out why my windows geekbench is so low. Some possibilities: geekbench is reporting my memory weirdly "63.9 GB - 1 Mhz", and CPU-Z is reading the bus speed for the CPU is 100 Mhz when on mac os x reports it as 400 Mhz.

------------------------------

STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS

For general install path, i followed these instructions

Install clover over usb El Capitan (clover rev 3751 used)
- Check Install for UEFI booting only
- Check Install Clover in the ESP
- Check OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 to CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ (not 100% OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 is required instead of recommended OsxAptioFixDrv-64).

- Add FakeSMC.kext
- Add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

In Clover Configurator:
Section: ACPI:
- Check FakeLPC

Section: Boot:
- Check Verbose
- Check npci=0x2000 (fixed issue I experienced where it would hang after PCI configuration began)
- Add -xcpm_ipi (cause he said to, doesn't mean anything with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but likely needed for future)
- Check nv_disable=1 (force software rendering for initial and boot, until i could install nvidia web driver)

Section: Kernel & Kext Patches
- FakeCPUID 0x0306E4
- Add to KextsToPath: IOPCIFamily 4881F901000040 4881F901000080

Section: SMBIOS:
- Magic wand to MacPro6,1
- Under Memory, fill in exactly what memory you have installed. See screenshot for mine as an example. Note that this step appears to be optional, booting and installing worked fine without doing it.

Once I got here, this got me past the +++++++++++++++++. I then experienced a hang on mbinit line, which prompted the following supermicro BIOS change.

For supermicro bios:
Under the BIOS on your machine, disable USB 3.0 (see this post)

Also per metacollins early suggestion, I turned off hotplug capability for internal SATA

At this point I could boot into the installer. After installing to one of the SSDs, I then got the GPU working by:

- Install nvidia web driver
- Apply manual fix to kext for nvidia web driver (can't find the link atm, was changing the plist in AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext)
- In clover config
- Uncheck nv_disable=1
- Check nv_drv=1

Attachments

• memory.png
    memory.png
    38 KB · Views: 277
Snookie i stoped when I got the system part working, as I figgured out that I needed newer NVIDIA drivers. And the internal ssd did not work. So I'm waiting for sierra, to see if it's some new driver updates in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back