Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Hey there ! I need help to sort out only 2 USB ports on my build. I managed to sort out all the other ports, but these 2 specifics ones, are not working properly. Before I post screenshots etc... Am I in the right post to ask for help, or should I post somewhere else ?

Hi there,

Of course. Did you use the guide to configure the ones which do work?

:)

Yes I did follow the guide, but obviously I missed something.

The problem is with the usb3 internal header that lead to the usb 3 ports on the front of the case (HS01 & HS02). As you can see I configured them as internal. They recognise both USB3 and USB2 devices but work only at very low speed. More strange, if I understood all well, SS01 (and the non-existing SS02 ??) should be in use if I stick a usb3 device, but it does not, it stays on HS01/HS02. Also, I could not configure the USB-C port, because of the lack of compatible device.

I join a few screens and pictures to make things more intelligible.

So I guess the question is, where did I screw up ?

Thanx for you help guys !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 3.png
    3.png
    247 KB · Views: 73

The problem is with the usb3 internal header that lead to the usb 3 ports on the front of the case (HS01 & HS02). As you can see I configured them as internal. They recognise both USB3 and USB2 devices but work only at very low speed. More strange, if I understood all well, SS01 (and the non-existing SS02 ??) should be in use if I stick a usb3 device, but it does not, it stays on HS01/HS02. Also, I could not configure the USB-C port, because of the lack of compatible device.

Can I ask you an obvious question?
Is the 3.png image the final result of your configuration?
When you start from USBInjectall.kext and the patches in the config.plist, do all the possible ports appear?

Yes it is the final result after removal of all undesired ports. They all appeared in the first place except ss02...

thanx for helping !

I'm not an expert, I recently did the USBPort.kext too, but the only thing that I feel I can tell you with certainty is that the ports that refer to PXSX (ASM2142 etc ...) can be left out of the count for the limit. Those will work regardless of why MacOS manages them as external, so your limit will be 15+those he sees from that or those controllers.
For the rest I can only wish you that UtterDisbelief or Headkaze or if not them, some expert can direct you safely ... I avoid because I could tell you wrong things that confuse you ideas without solving the problem.
Another thing that I noticed is that it is important to refresh the page displayed by Hackintool, both at the beginning of the work and on verification. (deleting everything with the "-" button at the bottom and then updating).
I hope this little can be useful to you.

I hope you solve, you will see that they will answer you soon.

Hi there.

@Simon70 is correct :thumbup:

A few points:

1) Your motherboard features an extra ASMedia chipset to provide USB3.1 Gen 2 ports, including that USB-C port. So these are not directly configurable on a Hackintosh. macOS treats them just as it would and add-on PCI-e card in a Mac Pro. The are external, they work, but there are no drivers for them unless the manufacturer supplies some. They can be unreliable. You can see a hint of the controller in the Hackintool screengrab - ASM2142.

Often what happens is that these add-on ports still piggy-back onto existing USB2 ports ehich makes identifying them tricky.

2) Set those front-panel ports as USB3, if they are blue or red. Setting them as Internal can reduce them to USB2 speeds.

Thanx Simon70, I didn't know about the refresh and the PXSX ! I can have more usb ports then, and it's always a nice thing!

Thanx UtterDisbelief I was suspecting something like that with the ASMedia, for now the 3,1 port works wonderfully, but we never know. I prefer to sort out the front ports problem, and then activate more internal headers.

The front ports are black, but labeled 3.0, is the color purely cosmetic or ? Chassis is fractal design Meshify C.

I labelled them USB3, along SS01, and it changed nothing, I attach the new hackintool screen and a blackmagic screen showing the speed of a USB3 drive that usually goes past 100MB/s on the 3,1 rear port.

Just a question for my own curiosity, my comprehension was that a usb header would lead to 1 HSXX entry and 1 SSXX entry. The SSXX being active only when there is a USB3 stick plugged in. However for this problematic header I have, it clearly shows 2 entries (completely normal) HS01 and HS02, so wouldn't it be logical that the list shows (active or inactive) SS01 and SS02 ?

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.png
    2.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 53
Just a question for my own curiosity, my comprehension was that a usb header would lead to 1 HSXX entry and 1 SSXX entry. The SSXX being active only when there is a USB3 stick plugged in. However for this problematic header I have, it clearly shows 2 entries (completely normal) HS01 and HS02, so wouldn't it be logical that the list shows (active or inactive) SS01 and SS02 ?

Most internal headers are 9-pin or 20-pin, but there is also a new spec for a special USB3.1Gen2 header.

A basic 9-pin header contains 2x USB2 ports ( 4x pins each and an extra pin to make sure the plug goes in the correct way round). So, yes you would see 2x HS** ports.

A 20-pin header features 2x USB3 ports. For this one you would see 2x HS** ports and 2x SS** ports.

If some of these do not show up in your Hackintool listings, or IORegistryExplorer, then that is down to the way the ports have been configured - USBPorts kext or USBInjectAll.kext+SSDT.

With USBInjectAll.kext and a port-limit removal patch and nothing else, you will see them all.

Last edited:
@UtterDisbelief I forgot the SSDT shenanigans! Indeed i have 2 SSDT in ACPI/patched/ : SSDT-EC and SSDT-USBX. I did the USBports/kext myself, but I used a few shortcuts buy using "already made" EFI parts, from an almost identical build. Do you think these would be culprits ? If so, how should I go about it ? Should I delete them, redo the USBinjectALL.kext and copy paste them afterwards?

@UtterDisbelief I forgot the SSDT shenanigans! Indeed i have 2 SSDT in ACPI/patched/ : SSDT-EC and SSDT-USBX. I did the USBports/kext myself, but I used a few shortcuts buy using "already made" EFI parts, from an almost identical build. Do you think these would be culprits ? If so, how should I go about it ? Should I delete them, redo the USBinjectALL.kext and copy paste them afterwards?

Hi there.

Hard to say. I never recommend using someone else's EFI because you don't know what is in there, and if you do then you can create your own etc.

The two SSDTs you mention are okay to use, if they are appropriate. Hackintool will produce correct ones for you when it outputs a USBPorts.kext - if they are needed - so no need for second-hand ones.

Your motherboard is actually a nice one to use, the only slight concern, as I've mentioned before, is that the Z370 chipset does not have any USB3.1 Gen 2 ports, so relies on external chipsets to help out.

How you go forward is up to you. If you still don't feel confident setting-up your Hackintosh, read up on the general guides and don't get bogged-down.

Hackintool is the best USB configurator for people new to the subject, but if you want to learn more @RehabMan's original guide is a great resource. You'll find it over in the Mojave Laptop Support forum :thumbup: :

Back