Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Managed to boot back in, had to restore those 2 files I deleted :crazy:

There's quite a lot there and there are duplicate keys for some of these, here is the full config.plist attached

Anyone has any ideas about this one?

Anyone has any ideas about this one?

Hi there. Thanks for the config.plist.

Try changing the setting in config.plist for <key>SystemParameters</key> <key>InjectKexts</key> to "Inject" (You can use Clover Configurator).

Your port-limit removal patches are actually still active in the config.plist. So if USBPorts.kext is installed, disable them.:thumbup:

Leave the SSDT-EC and SSDT-USBX aml files in place.

If you still get no joy there is an alternate method you can use to enable the EC controller, but as we were just discussing it is not ideal. Worth a test though ... Add this rename -

EC.png

Might not work either, given your problems, but you never know until you try.

Finally you have a RenameDevices setting in place -

#_SB.PCI0.RP01.PXSX to ARPT

This is not something I ever came across as needed on a Z370, but YMMV as they say. Try without?

Good luck!

:)

@headkaze desktops don't normally need embedded control device which is why the SSDT provided in OC docs has disable code for it. For laptops, please refer to https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/743
There, Andrey1970AppleLife says to rename embedded control device name to EC. (This is because modern laptops need actual embedded control device for battery readings and EC queries for fn keys like brightness control and many others, but at the same time let macOS to look up the name EC)
vit9696 says to add fake EC on top of existing embedded control device. (which would preserve original embedded control device for working battery, etc and let fake EC do its job with allowing macOS to boot in Catalina and USB power in Mojave and older.)
They didn't exactly say the things I put in (), but I guess they meant this because I looked up so many guides...

Hi,

I have an issue with my hackintosh on the latest update and the issue was there on mojave as well ! I've bought a steelseries arctis pro + DAC and the DAC prevent my hackintosh for sleeping and staying asleep !

I've created and USB mapping with hackintool and the issue won't go away and it's really annoying !

Can you please guys help me ! Thanks

@UtterDisbelief Thanks for the excellent guide. I really help me get up to speed on configuring my motherboard to now work as expected.

I did have some trouble getting the USB-C connector working correctly. I finally seem to have some luck with the TypeC+Sw (UsbConnector=9). When testing in SS only mode, sometime the connected device would showup, sometime not. I could not determine if the enumeration was due to cable orientation.

Question: Is it best to configure each USB 3.x port as HS/SS pair? Is this typically recommended if the port is going to be used by hub?

Thanks again for the great write up... I have posted my config here for others using my Asus ROG Maximus XI Z390 (It includeds the external ports, but also the internal USB2.0 Hub that has Bluetooth on it, and the Aura RGB port (probs not needed :crazy: )

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC.dsl
    5.1 KB · Views: 78
  • USB-ASUS-ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-WIFI.png
    USB-ASUS-ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-WIFI.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 66
@UtterDisbelief Thanks for the excellent guide. I really help me get up to speed on configuring my motherboard to now work as expected.

I did have some trouble getting the USB-C connector working correctly. I finally seem to have some luck with the TypeC+Sw (UsbConnector=9). When testing in SS only mode, sometime the connected device would showup, sometime not. I could not determine if the enumeration was due to cable orientation.

Question: Is it best to configure each USB 3.x port as HS/SS pair? Is this typically recommended if the port is going to be used by hub?

Thanks again for the great write up... I have posted my config here for others using my Asus ROG Maximus XI Z390 (It includeds the external ports, but also the internal USB2.0 Hub that has Bluetooth on it, and the Aura RGB port (probs not needed :crazy: )

Hi there.

Yes, I know what you mean about the USB-C port. I am looking into this myself. My own experience is that configuring as USB2 is what makes the port appear/disappear. Now I just configure as USB3 and it seems more reliable. The Switch orientation doesn't seem to affect this. However I'm on a Gigabyte board and yours looks like Asus. I only have this with USBPorts.kext though. Investigations on-going ...

Standard Blue ports can operate as both USB3 and USB2 ports so, yes, you can configure an HS/SS pair for each BUT you are free to remove any you do not wish to use. So if, say, you plan on using a port for a USB2 device only, you can disable the USB3 side and save one port from your 15-limit. Doing so means a USB3 device will not be 'seen' and vice-versa.

Doesn't matter what the hub is - type, speed, power - as far as macOS is concerned it is just the single USB Port the hub is plugged into. So you only need a single USB port configuration based on the maximum speed the hub works at. Hubs can crash the sub-system if they draw too much power and don't have their own supply.

Thanks for helping others with your configuration template :thumbup:

Hi,

I have an issue with my hackintosh on the latest update and the issue was there on mojave as well ! I've bought a steelseries arctis pro + DAC and the DAC prevent my hackintosh for sleeping and staying asleep !

I've created and USB mapping with hackintool and the issue won't go away and it's really annoying !

Can you please guys help me ! Thanks

Hello there.

It depends on which port you are connecting your DAC to.

Your motherboard features Intel ports but also 2x VIA USB3 hubs.

It is unlikely you can configure the VIA hub ports properly. Only the direct Intel ports.

Choose the USB ports you are going to use for the DAC carefully, to ensure it is one of the Intel ports. Then you should be able to configure it correctly.

Yes, I know what you mean about the USB-C port. I am looking into this myself. My own experience is that configuring as USB2 is what makes the port appear/disappear. Now I just configure as USB3 and it seems more reliable.
I have seemed to have the opposite. The USB-C connection is to a LG 38WK95C Monitor hub and it presents as a USB2 and USB3 hubs. Without both it does not seem to work. I don't know enough about USB enumeration it seems. But I think that is something if explained would help with certain setups

The first screenshot show the USB3.0 and the second the USB2.0 for the same physical USB-C connection from Monitor to Motherboard.

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 2.04.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 2.03.24 PM.png

I have seemed to have the opposite. The USB-C connection is to a LG 38WK95C Monitor hub and it presents as a USB2 and USB3 hubs. Without both it does not seem to work. I don't know enough about USB enumeration it seems. But I think that is something if explained would help with certain setups

The first screenshot show the USB3.0 and the second the USB2.0 for the same physical USB-C connection from Monitor to Motherboard.

View attachment 461152View attachment 461151

Thank you for the feedback :thumbup:

You would need to know how the cable from port to monitor hub is wired. Usually they rely more on power output. If the port isn't switchable then there might not be a location available for the configuration to 'move' to. The physical port is wired the same either way. The patching of ACPI needs to go 'deeper' in that case.

You would need to know how the cable from port to monitor hub is wired.
The cable is 5K capable HDMI cable that was supplied with the LG Monitor. It's the only USB-C cable I have that is good for video at this resolution. The others tend to have moments where they will cause 'go to black' on the screen as it looses sync. I am not using it for video for the Mac. I am just using it as USB Hub.

I am not sure what you mean by 'move to'. Anyway, the setup seems to work as desired at the moment. I come back to play more soon.

Back