Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

I see, thank you very much for the help :)

Is anyone else having a weird issue where you select one port but it deselects itself?

Trying really hard to move my mouse faster to delete the ports.

Hi @UtterDisbelief, I use Asus Z170 Deluxe for my build and followed your guide, but the ports I deactivated HS03, HS04, HS08, HS09, HS10, HS13, HS14 are still active after reboot as you can see on the screenshots attached below. Can you point out what's wrong?

I even tried the SSDT-3.aml file @beelzebozo posted for his Asus Z170 Deluxe system and those ports are still active.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 12.00.24.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 12.00.24.png
    903.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 11.57.52.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 11.57.52.png
    686.8 KB · Views: 57
Hi @UtterDisbelief, I use Asus Z170 Deluxe for my build and followed your guide, but the ports I deactivated HS03, HS04, HS08, HS09, HS10, HS13, HS14 are still active after reboot as you can see on the screenshots attached below. Can you point out what's wrong?

I even tried the SSDT-3.aml file @beelzebozo posted for his Asus Z170 Deluxe system and those ports are still active.

Thanks.

Hi there.

I think it depends how you are configuring the XHC ports.

Are you using the SSDT-UIAC.aml Hackintool outputs, along with USBInjectAll.kext? Or are you using USBPorts.kext instead?

The IORegistryExplorer shows that whichever method, it is not working. You have the basic 15-ports unconfigured.

Upload the configuration file you are using :thumbup:

Hi there,

I am trying to follow UtterDisbeliefs guide on page 1. This was probably asked already but it is hard to read over 55 pages so I go again:

In step 5 it says "Delete USBInjectAll.kext and replace it with USBPorts.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other."

I don't have this file in that location. I do have USBInfectAll.kext in /Library/Extensions. I do not remember exactly how it got there. I guess it installed via MultiBeast when I set up the system. In general I think I only used MultiBeast directly after setup and then "An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-in's" in order to get my audio running. I don't want to break anything that's why I am extra cautious here.

Should I now delete USBInjectAll.kext and replace it with USBPorts.kext in /Library/Extensions? Or something else?

Best,
Nicky

Hi there,

I am trying to follow UtterDisbeliefs guide on page 1. This was probably asked already but it is hard to read over 55 pages so I go again:

In step 5 it says "Delete USBInjectAll.kext and replace it with USBPorts.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other."

I don't have this file in that location. I do have USBInfectAll.kext in /Library/Extensions. I do not remember exactly how it got there. I guess it installed via MultiBeast when I set up the system. In general I think I only used MultiBeast directly after setup and then "An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-in's" in order to get my audio running. I don't want to break anything that's why I am extra cautious here.

Should I now delete USBInjectAll.kext and replace it with USBPorts.kext in /Library/Extensions? Or something else?

Best,
Nicky

Hi there.

Because I describe using USBInjectAll.kext and port-limit removal patches to make all your Intel USB ports visible and configurable, once the configuration process has been done you then remove this kext and disable the patches, then install USBPorts.kext instead as it has all your hard work inside it :thumbup:

You don't specify which version of macOs you are using but from now on I recommend EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other as the location for these kexts. Going forward the L/E location is going to get trickier and trickier as Apple ramps-up security, eventually disappearing completely.

USBInjectAll/USBPorts do not affect Audio unless you are using a USB audio device, obviously. Moving the kexts should not affect even USB audio though. It's not actually audio configuration, just USB. As long as a port works as it should, so do devices plugged-in to it.

If you move kexts to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other from L/E remember to rebuild your kextcaches with the Terminal command:

Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

... and reboot :thumbup:

Hi there.

I think it depends how you are configuring the XHC ports.

Are you using the SSDT-UIAC.aml Hackintool outputs, along with USBInjectAll.kext? Or are you using USBPorts.kext instead?

The IORegistryExplorer shows that whichever method, it is not working. You have the basic 15-ports unconfigured.

Upload the configuration file you are using :thumbup:

I have tried both the SSDT-UIAC.aml + USBInjectAll.kext and just the USBPorts.kext, and you were right, neither method is not working.

Attached is my OC config.plist for your reference.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Shanghaidaddy-OC-config-Apr4-2020.plist
    20.3 KB · Views: 76
Hi there.

Because I describe using USBInjectAll.kext and port-limit removal patches to make all your Intel USB ports visible and configurable, once the configuration process has been done you then remove this kext and disable the patches, then install USBPorts.kext instead as it has all your hard work inside it :thumbup:

You don't specify which version of macOs you are using but from now on I recommend EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other as the location for these kexts. Going forward the L/E location is going to get trickier and trickier as Apple ramps-up security, eventually disappearing completely.

USBInjectAll/USBPorts do not affect Audio unless you are using a USB audio device, obviously. Moving the kexts should not affect even USB audio though. It's not actually audio configuration, just USB. As long as a port works as it should, so do devices plugged-in to it.

If you move kexts to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other from L/E remember to rebuild your kextcaches with the Terminal command:

Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

... and reboot :thumbup:

thank you for the heads up. I have a Mojave install, as I had some issues with catalina. This was actually the first hackintosh configuration where I put kernel extensions to /L/E instead of clover/kext/other as in other guides it is described as the "new" or better way. But that obviously depends on who you ask :-D

I tried installing USBPorts.kext to /L/E with hackingtool, removed the USBInjectAll.kext by hand and rebuild permissions. Worked out. Can now user my USB3 card reader on the front usb port :)

Last edited:
I have tried both the SSDT-UIAC.aml + USBInjectAll.kext and just the USBPorts.kext, and you were right, neither method is not working.

Attached is my OC config.plist for your reference.

Thanks.

Hello.

Can you upload your SSDT or USBPorts.kext ? That's where the problem most likely is :thumbup:

Hello.

Can you upload your SSDT or USBPorts.kext ? That's where the problem most likely is :thumbup:

Really? Those SSDTs are standard ones I got from Vanilla OC guide. The USBPorts.kext was exported from Hackintool.

Thanks for your inputs.

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 51
  • SSDT-Plug.aml
    167 bytes · Views: 60
  • SSDT-SBUS.aml
    240 bytes · Views: 63
  • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
    349 bytes · Views: 53
Back