Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

No.

What connector does the Fenvi card have on it?
I looks like the end of the Fenvi card could connect to this adapter, and then the standard USB end could plug into the back.
Here's a picture, (I'm looking for more info but haven't found any yet):
Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 4.33.10 PM.png

I did notice on that adapter cable it says:
  • Only The Bottom 5 Pins Are Wired To The USB Connector Intended For Single USB Connection Header Devices
  • Please Check Your USB Header Device To Confirm That It Is Properly Wired To Connect To The Primary Bottom 5 Pin Row
I haven't been able to find info on the Fenvi cable regarding this yet.

Hello,

I have recently transitioned to OpenCore instead of Clover and used this guide to create a USBPorts.kext (EFI/OC/Kexts).

My motherboard has two EHC controllers (EHC1, EHC2), which I have not renamed, according to OpenCore Vanilla Guide. What I have done, instead, is disabled them via:
xHCI Mode -> enabled
EHCI Handoff -> off
and using SSDT-EHCx_OFF.aml

This leaves me with one XHC Controller in Hackintool and IOReg, which I mapped and is currently in work.

However, I have a problem: whenever going to sleep and waking up, all usb devices eject unexpectedly (as reported by a notification). I can also notice that my Focusrite USB Audio card turns on, briefly powers off, then turns back on again. And as mentioned previously, all usb drives have to be physically reinserted to work.

Any tips to remedy this?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,

I have recently transitioned to OpenCore instead of Clover and used this guide to create a USBPorts.kext (EFI/OC/Kexts).

My motherboard has two EHC controllers (EHC1, EHC2), which I have not renamed, according to OpenCore Vanilla Guide. What I have done, instead, is disabled them via:
xHCI Mode -> enabled
EHCI Handoff -> off
and using SSDT-EHCx_OFF.aml

This leaves me with one XHC Controller in Hackintool and IOReg, which I mapped and is currently in work.

However, I have a problem: whenever going to sleep and waking up, all usb devices eject unexpectedly (as reported by a notification). I can also notice that my Focusrite USB Audio card turns on, briefly powers off, then turns back on again. And as mentioned previously, all usb drives have to be physically reinserted to work.

Any tips to remedy this?
Thanks

Hi there.

Yes, tips a-plenty :)

Okay, if you do not wish to use the EHC controllers that's fine. In Hackintool just mark and delete any ports that are not XHC controlled leaving you with the ports you want. For each one check the "Connector" type. Physical USB3 ports should be marked as such. USB2 ports on a USB3 socket should still be marked as USB3. Any ports that are motherboard headers, for example Bluetooth, should be set as "Internal". Doing this stops unwanted port-polling from waking a machine.

Does you Focusrite audio card get power from a separate supply? If so, because the card is not dependant on the port for power, when the PC sleeps the device remains electrically active and may poll the port causing a Wake cycle.

If the Focusrite only gets its power from the USB port then, like the strangely acting USB memory sticks, this may be a power issue (or more simply the above, wrongly configured XHC controller port). For proper power delivery you need two SSDTs in place - SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml.

Sorry, I have never used SSDT-EHCx_OFF.aml and do not know where it comes from. With a properly configured USBPorts.kext I feel it might not be needed. YMMV.

:)

I just update my Catalina build from 10.15.2 to 10.5.4 on line.
Everything work out well except USB. Notice that I am still using the 4 patches to remove the port limit that I used during the Mohave build with the custom aml file that matches the ports in H97.
I remove the 4 patches and replace with the 2 patches for Catalina as recommended. On restart, I couldn't login as my USB keyboard / mouse not functioning as all the USB ports are not enable. Try to revert back to the old config.plist setting by deleting the 2 patches and putting the 4 patches back.
On restart, all USB ports are still disable.
What do I have to do to enable the USB ports again?
Thanks

I just update my Catalina build from 10.15.2 to 10.5.4 on line.
Everything work out well except USB. Notice that I am still using the 4 patches to remove the port limit that I used during the Mohave build with the custom aml file that matches the ports in H97.
I remove the 4 patches and replace with the 2 patches for Catalina as recommended. On restart, I couldn't login as my USB keyboard / mouse not functioning as all the USB ports are not enable. Try to revert back to the old config.plist setting by deleting the 2 patches and putting the 4 patches back.
On restart, all USB ports are still disable.
What do I have to do to enable the USB ports again?
Thanks

Hi there.

Which method did you use - USBPorts.kext or USBInjectAll.kext plus SSDT-UIAC.aml? Where did you install the kexts?

Hi there.

Yes, tips a-plenty :)

Okay, if you do not wish to use the EHC controllers that's fine. In Hackintool just mark and delete any ports that are not XHC controlled leaving you with the ports you want. For each one check the "Connector" type. Physical USB3 ports should be marked as such. USB2 ports on a USB3 socket should still be marked as USB3. Any ports that are motherboard headers, for example Bluetooth, should be set as "Internal". Doing this stops unwanted port-polling from waking a machine.

Does you Focusrite audio card get power from a separate supply? If so, because the card is not dependant on the port for power, when the PC sleeps the device remains electrically active and may poll the port causing a Wake cycle.

If the Focusrite only gets its power from the USB port then, like the strangely acting USB memory sticks, this may be a power issue (or more simply the above, wrongly configured XHC controller port). For proper power delivery you need two SSDTs in place - SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml.

Sorry, I have never used SSDT-EHCx_OFF.aml and do not know where it comes from. With a properly configured USBPorts.kext I feel it might not be needed. YMMV.

Hello UtterDisbelief,

Thanks a lot for your reply, and sorry for my late reply.

I am unsure if I needed to disable the EHC options, but that's what I read in the OpenCore vanilla guide - which clearly suggests to avoid renaming, hence I followed it. So far it does seem to work correctly: there are no references of EHC or EH anywhere in IOReg/Hackintool.

Just to clarify what I meant previously: my Focusrite audio card gets power only from a USB port. I do not have issues with unwanted system wakes from sleep. What I meant is, whenever I - willingly - wake my system from a sleep state, the audio card itself (used as an example, I can see it happening with my mouse LEDs, and other USB peripherals) turns on, then momentarily turns off again, then turns on again.

The system acts as if all USBs have been reconnected. Parallels - which is usually running - is prompting me to select where the newly connected USB should connect, on Mac or the VM.
It's as if the USB port gets "redirected". Say from the EHC (since I think EHC controllers are just hubs?) port an XHC port - that is my theory with zero proof or sound knowledge on the matter.

In my Clover builds, I used to have all the renames + FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. USB was from perfect there either (and was mainly the reason I switched to OpenCore, to test out if USBs get fixed) causing me problems after sleep, where ports (completely randomly which ones) would not reconnect. Sometimes it would be the keyboard, sometimes it would be the mouse, sometimes unplugging and replugging did the trick, other times I had to reset the PC altogether.

If I had to pick, obviously the current situation is better, but if possible, I'd like to try and eliminate this as well.

I tried your suggestion to use the SSDT-USBX.aml - which I still have, but it hasn't corrected the mentioned issue. I will keep it there, though, because it probably does something else I ignored previously.

I thank you again for your time and effort.

Hello UtterDisbelief,

Thanks a lot for your reply, and sorry for my late reply.

I am unsure if I needed to disable the EHC options, but that's what I read in the OpenCore vanilla guide - which clearly suggests to avoid renaming, hence I followed it. So far it does seem to work correctly: there are no references of EHC or EH anywhere in IOReg/Hackintool.

Just to clarify what I meant previously: my Focusrite audio card gets power only from a USB port. I do not have issues with unwanted system wakes from sleep. What I meant is, whenever I - willingly - wake my system from a sleep state, the audio card itself (used as an example, I can see it happening with my mouse LEDs, and other USB peripherals) turns on, then momentarily turns off again, then turns on again.

The system acts as if all USBs have been reconnected. Parallels - which is usually running - is prompting me to select where the newly connected USB should connect, on Mac or the VM.
It's as if the USB port gets "redirected". Say from the EHC (since I think EHC controllers are just hubs?) port an XHC port - that is my theory with zero proof or sound knowledge on the matter.

In my Clover builds, I used to have all the renames + FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. USB was from perfect there either (and was mainly the reason I switched to OpenCore, to test out if USBs get fixed) causing me problems after sleep, where ports (completely randomly which ones) would not reconnect. Sometimes it would be the keyboard, sometimes it would be the mouse, sometimes unplugging and replugging did the trick, other times I had to reset the PC altogether.

If I had to pick, obviously the current situation is better, but if possible, I'd like to try and eliminate this as well.

I tried your suggestion to use the SSDT-USBX.aml - which I still have, but it hasn't corrected the mentioned issue. I will keep it there, though, because it probably does something else I ignored previously.

I thank you again for your time and effort.

Okay :thumbup:

If you use FakePCIIC_XHCIMux.kext it diverts USB2 ports off the XHCI controller, allowing more USB3 ports to be used, as the USB2 ports from the controller appear as EHC in IORegExplorer.

Okay :thumbup:

If you use FakePCIIC_XHCIMux.kext it diverts USB2 ports off the XHCI controller, allowing more USB3 ports to be used, as the USB2 ports from the controller appear as EHC in IORegExplorer.

I am not sure whether you're suggesting I do something or simply informing me.

Just to clarify I am using OpenCore now, and not using FakePCIIC_XHCIMux.kext.

Last edited:
I am not sure whether you're suggesting I do something or simply informing me.

Just to clarify I am using OpenCore now, and not using FakePCIIC_XHCIMux.kext.

My apologies. I must have mis-read your post #530.

Glad to read everything is okay now :thumbup:

Hi there.

Which method did you use - USBPorts.kext or USBInjectAll.kext plus SSDT-UIAC.aml? Where did you install the kexts?

USBInjectAll.kext plus SSDT-UIAC.aml method.
All kexts are in EFI/Clover/Kexts/others folder.
SSDt-UIAC.aml in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder.
Thanks

Back