Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Hello @UtterDisbelief , after following your guide I have some issues: after installing the USBPorts kext, the removed ports will reappear into Hackintool, also the webcam and Bluetooth is not working (but those are showing up in Hackintool). Is it how it should be looking, or am I doing something wrong?
1577209654265.png

Hello @UtterDisbelief , after following your guide I have some issues: after installing the USBPorts kext, the removed ports will reappear into Hackintool, also the webcam and Bluetooth is not working (but those are showing up in Hackintool). Is it how it should be looking, or am I doing something wrong?
View attachment 441848

Hi there.

1) You need to correct your EHC renames.

2) Use IORegistryExplorer to view your ports instead as it "obeys" the USBPorts kext whereas Hackintool sees through it.

Hi there.

1) You need to correct your EHC renames.

2) Use IORegistryExplorer to view your ports instead as it "obeys" the USBPorts kext whereas Hackintool sees through it.
I did not have any EHC renames before, I added the renames fixes now (EHC01 to EC01, EHC02 to EC02), but seems that ports are still not working.
Should XHC and EHC1 be both present there?

When using IORegistryExplorer, I can see that I have both EH01 and XHC

This is how it looks after "redoing" the guide.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 21.42.52.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 21.42.52.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 21.43.26.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 21.43.26.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 21.43.51.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 21.43.51.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Help, Been looking at this for a while, I have figured most things out but believe I have an issue as I can not rename EH01 to EHC1 even though I have the correct rename in clover config, I have attached the my config and the Hackintool screen grab. It is a Z87 chipset.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 19.39.50.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 19.39.50.png
    230.3 KB · Views: 77
  • theconfig copy.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I did not have any EHC renames before, I added the renames fixes now (EHC01 to EC01, EHC02 to EC02), but seems that ports are still not working.
Should XHC and EHC1 be both present there?

When using IORegistryExplorer, I can see that I have both EH01 and XHC

This is how it looks after "redoing" the guide.

Hello.

Let's step back a moment. Are the questions you have about the motherboard in your Profile, or a newer H/Z87 motherboard? The data in the screen grabs doesn't seem to match your profile.

Hello.

Let's step back a moment. Are the questions you have about the motherboard in your Profile, or a newer H/Z87 motherboard? The data in the screen grabs doesn't seem to match your profile.
No, my bad that I didn't edit the infos. I'm using a Lenovo G50-70 laptop, sorry.

Help, Been looking at this for a while, I have figured most things out but believe I have an issue as I can not rename EH01 to EHC2 even though I have the correct rename in clover config, I have attached the my config and the Hackintool screen grab. It is a Z87 chipset.

Hi there.

As you say there are no EHCI renames in that config.plist, but I can't tell you from here why the editor you are using is not Save-ing them. Are you editing manually, or using Clover Configurator? Copy the config.plist to your desktop and then edit it there. Once complete copy it back in place. This might overcome some write-permissions problem.

No, my bad that I didn't edit the infos. I'm using a Lenovo G50-70 laptop, sorry.

Okay, well it might be that the chipset the Lenovo uses only has one EHCI controller and not two. There are often such cut-backs on laptop chipsets.

I can't see very much of the IORegistryExplorer XHC tree-node in your screengrab, but can I assume it only goes up to HS14 and then maybe one other port?

Okay, well it might be that the chipset the Lenovo uses only has one EHCI controller and not two. There are often such cut-backs on laptop chipsets.

I can't see very much of the IORegistryExplorer XHC tree-node in your screengrab, but can I assume it only goes up to HS14 and then maybe one other port?
Here's how it expands
Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 22.41.40.png

:thumbup:

Well the interesting thing about laptop chipsets is that, as in your case, the support chip is built in to the CPU, rather than having two separate chips like a desktop (a Z370 chipset and an i7-8700 CPU etc.).

The spec for your CPU/Chipset is just 4x USB3.0 ports, and Lenovo gives you 1x USB3 and 2x USB2 ports to play with. In fact there are 8x possible ports to configure - 4x USB3.0 and 4x USB2.0 - that's because a USB3 port can also accept USB2 devices as well etc. The spares you can't use are probably reserved for the onboard web-cam and bluetooth etc.

You do not need any port-limiting patches. Remove FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext if you have installed it.

Last edited:
Back